Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil pressure gauge fitment

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So I'm a week away from putting a mountune mrx longblock in my car and I got to thinking, with the inability to see oil pressure this may present a problem or at least I won't be able to see a problem before it happens. So with that being said are we able to put a sandwich plate on the oil filter side for a pressure gauge? Or is there any solution that doesn't involve drilling into the pan?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Erick_V

You can use a sandwich plate. If you have anything other than a stock sized filter you may run into clearance issues with the radiator, especially if its an upgraded unit. There was a member that relocated his sandwich plate onto the frame rail but I can't remember the name of the thread

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
You can use a sandwich plate. If you have anything other than a stock sized filter you may run into clearance issues with the radiator, especially if its an upgraded unit. There was a member that relocated his sandwich plate onto the frame rail but I can't remember the name of the thread
I think I saw that thread. He moved it to the frame on the driver's side right? Do you happen to know the thread and size bolt that I need to order with the sandwich plate? I know they come as one piece on one of the sites I looked at but it's got like 5 different sizes.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
If you want to measure oil pressure then you usually Tee into where the OEM pressure switch is located and install a pressure sender. This way you are measuring pressure at the main gallery in the block.
Does this require a seperate recieve and sender unit or does it depend on the kit?

eq5

OEM switch uses 1/4 NPT, most sensors are 1/8 NPT, so it is probably going to be lots of "fun" finding the suitable T-piece/adapter...something like female 1/4 T-piece + male-male to connect it to block + 1/4-to-1/8 adapter for the sensor.

slopoke

I used a sandwich plate when I was running an oil pressure gauge. If you do decide to use a sandwich plate, check the torque on the adapter bolt at every oil change. When I removed the sandwich plate, the adapter bolt came off real easy, hence the warning of checking it's torque.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Okay thanks slopoke. And thank you eq5. I found a an adapter on Amazon.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I actually bought slopokes sandwich plate and am about to get oil pressure gauges installed as soon as Cali lightens their shipping restrictions.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Can you tell me what your oil pressures are at speed and at idle? Hot and Cold?
He has a fully built engine, both bottom end AND head, so his bearing clearances could be different from stock/factory, yielding different pressures.

But yeah, I'd be curious to know as well, regardless. [wink]

TemecFist

He has a fully built engine, both bottom end AND head, so his bearing clearances could be different from stock/factory, yielding different pressures.

But yeah, I'd be curious to know as well, regardless. [wink]
Cold idle: 50psi
Warm idle: 25psi
At speed: 50psi
Hope this helps. I have an external oil pressure and temp gauge.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^We have to know the BRAND and which 'series' or model within that brand as well, since there is MUCH viscosity range, allowed by law, of actual measured viscosity for any given SAE designated oil 'weight'. [wink]

(i.e.; Red Line 5W-30 is a 3.7 HTHSV, which is in the range of an allowed 40 weight viscosity, and the Ravenol DXG 5W-30 which I use is a 3.1 HTHSV, which is close to a heavier 20 weight viscosity oil.)

Last edited:

TemecFist

^^^We have to know the BRAND and which 'series' or model within that brand as well, since there is MUCH viscosity range, allowed by law, of actual measured viscosity for any given SAE designated oil 'weight'. [wink]

(i.e.; Red Line 5W-30 is a 3.7 HTHSV, which is in the range of an allowed 40 weight viscosity, and the Ravenol DXG 5W-30 which I use is a 3.1 HTHSV, which is close to a heavier 20 weight viscosity oil.)

Oops. Sorry about that. Amsoil SS 0w-30