Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil temp, sending units, etc.

Chuckable

(Mods, move this if it's in the wrong place.) There are some very active and innovative members on this forum who've modded their car for track duty and/or hardcore street driving. What are you using to monitor oil pressure and temp? I've read that there is no actual oil temp sensor, and that the data is inferred.

1) Does anyone have any data showing how close or far off the inferred oil temp is from actual oil temp? And what oil temp is it reading anyway? Before or after the oil cooler?
2) Where is the sending unit located which is used for data for the ECT display?
3) Has anyone installed an oil filter sandwich plate adapter to allow installation of oil pressure and oil temp sensors? Here's a generic example of one: http://www.mishimoto.com/oil-plate-sandwich-adapter.html
4) Any advice from those who've used adapter plates like this in past?

Thanks in advance!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have a Mocal Tstat adapter to feed the Setrab oil cooler I installed, I might have to take a look to see if room to tap in a sensor or two. I have 5 different Autometer Ultralite gauges and sending units I was going to sell but having real gauges would be a nice thing as hard as I drive the car on track.

I have used top mount plates on BMW engines for oil pres and temp before and even tapped into heads water jackets, for water temp.

Now, where to mount 3-4 real gauges.......in a street/track car that has to have an higher end audio install......?????

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #3
RAAMaudio, thanks for the reply. Do you have any close-up pics of your Mocal/Setrab set-up? If anyone is interested, I know that BAT sells a lot of these products: http://www.batinc.net/mocal-central.htm (used to buy from them back when I had a Merkur XR4Ti).

Yes, the FiST has no options for gauges! I saw that 2J Racing was working on one, but don't know what ever came of it.

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the pics! IIRC from reading your other posts, removing the stock oil cooler, using a standalone aftermarket one, and fitting a larger custom radiator pretty much cured any overheating issues. And removing the factory oil cooler left room for a larger filter.