Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Only a few drops in the Radium oil catch can

Hi all, I’m not sure if this is the right place for this. It’s not quite troubleshooting and seems to be more educational but please feel free to move it if needed.

I installed a Radium oil catch can on the PCV side just over 2 years ago. I’ve only ever gotten a few drops out of it. Is that a good thing? Or is it not doing its job?

Attachments

OP
Wolfsbora
Thread Starter #3
It shouldn't catch much I don't believe. Don't you have a low mileage car? I just bought the Radium dual can setup so I'll let you know what I see.
Yes, bought it new in 2019 (same model year), 40,000 miles. I’ve considered doing the other side, as well. I look forward to your results.

I have the Mishi OCC which is also PCV with the UPR check valve, that I check / empty every oil change which is about every 2000 miles or so, because that winds up being like every 9 month on average. I get maybe 2 tbsp (making a guess as I've never actually measured)

My car is now just under 16k miles, I put the OCC on at just under 10k miles.

Edit: maybe it's only a single tbsp. But its more than a couple drops

Last edited:

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I would expect more than a few drops for sure. Have you checked it with the engine running? When I first installed mine, the vacuum pressure was so strong that it flattened the hoses. They sent me an upgraded (stiffer) set of hoses that didn't collapse as much.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Even if properly functioning, and it is only a couple of drops, that is still oil/oil vapor which did not help to 'gunk/carbon' up the top sides of your intake valves, or even piston tops and ring lands (besides the slight effective octane reduction that oil/oil mist induces into the combustion chambers).

That is the way I personally 'justify' this mod/addition to the naysayers who claim it is totally and completely unnecessary, and a waste of coin.

OP
Wolfsbora
Thread Starter #7
I have the Mishi OCC which is also PCV with the UPR check valve, that I check / empty every oil change which is about every 2000 miles or so, because that winds up being like every 9 month on average. I get maybe 2 tbsp (making a guess as I've never actually measured)

My car is now just under 16k miles, I put the OCC on at just under 10k miles.

Edit: maybe it's only a single tbsp. But its more than a couple drops
Hm. I wonder why the difference from what I drain. Thanks for letting me know!

Even if properly functioning, and it is only a couple of drops, that is still oil/oil vapor which did not help to 'gunk/carbon' up the top sides of your intake valves, or even piston tops and ring lands (besides the slight effective octane reduction that oil/oil mist induces into the combustion chambers).

That is the way I personally 'justify' this mod/addition to the naysayers who claim it is totally and completely unnecessary, and a waste of coin.
That’s exactly why I invested in it. I’m definitely relieved because of the way you explained it to me. It should definitely be helping then.

OP
Wolfsbora
Thread Starter #8
I would expect more than a few drops for sure. Have you checked it with the engine running? When I first installed mine, the vacuum pressure was so strong that it flattened the hoses. They sent me an upgraded (stiffer) set of hoses that didn't collapse as much.
I have the thicker hose so it can’t flatten. I haven’t checked with the engine running. I’ll try that. Thanks!