Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Opening up rear diffuser

I was thinking of opening up the rear diffuser to let air pass through. Is it worth it? Has anyone done this yet?

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #4
The main reason I am contemplating this experiment is to see if more airflow at the bottom will mitigate dust from collecting on the back of the car

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The main reason I am contemplating this experiment is to see if more airflow at the bottom will mitigate dust from collecting on the back of the car
I wish you a lot of luck on your endeavor.
This has been an issue with all of the hatch back type cars for years.
I would have thought that the car manufacturers might have come up with something by now.
I think that is the reason they put wipers on the rear.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #6
I wish you a lot of luck on your endeavor.
This has been an issue with all of the hatch back type cars for years.
I would have thought that the car manufacturers might have come up with something by now.
I think that is the reason they put wipers on the rear.
Too bad it doesn’t wipe the whole rear end

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #8
My thinking is there is an airfoil created from the top and from under the car which swirls back towards the hatch area. Opening up the diffuser may break this up. We shall see

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
My thinking is there is an airfoil crated from the top and from under the car which swirls back towards the hatch area. Opening up the diffuser may break this up. We shall see
I did exactly that on my 2004 Mini and it didn't work.
Maybe your design will work better then mine.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #10
Ok let’s say this idea won’t work. Would an actual under the body rear diffuser change airflow to accomplish this?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Ok let’s say this idea won’t work. Would an actual under the body rear diffuser change airflow to accomplish this?
I was just looking for photos but I guess I don't have any.
I still have the lower wing I had on my Mini but have not come with a way to mount it on the FiST.
BTW: it didn't keep the Mini clean either however, I did like the ground effects.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #12
Is it anything like the Versus whoosh sells? Did it create downforce?

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #13
Versus claims increased downforce and reduced drag. I wonder if anyone who has installed this product can chime in

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I currently have one awaiting install in the box in parts purgatory from Verus motorsports. It should be going on within the week.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #15
Well get going ginny pig! That gif is going to give me a seizure if I keep watching it

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #17
I may do some horse trading with Ron and be done with it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Smoke and wind tunnel video please
Now this is wishful thinking ....if I was near Cape Canaveral....I would try to sneak my car into NASA....but I am almost at launch....and I don't have a degree in Rocket Surgery...Haha.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Is it anything like the Versus whoosh sells? Did it create downforce?
Versus claims increased downforce and reduced drag. I wonder if anyone who has installed this product can chime in
No it is nothing like the Versus however, I do know someone with the Versus installed and he says their claims are correct.

It was more like an air foil mounted below the rear valance.
As I said I still have it but it is storage and it may be some time before I can get to it.