Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Opening up rear diffuser

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #62
Front vertical section of the Verus occupy same space as the leading horizontal section of the Hotchkis bar. A no-go combo. (If the Eibach fits with the Verus, the Eibach horizontal section must fit higher, and further away from the rear twist beam.)

My perceived effect of the diffuser suggests an reduction of drag. I first noticed the effect when air-drying the FiST on the same stretch of road (in Mexico). When lifting near the top of fifth gear, the FiST would normally immediately start slowing... No so with the Verus. I suppose one can do repeated coast-down tests, but I'm not quite as studious as @Siestarider on his front air-dam experiments.

Also noticed a bit more dust on the back. Not what you wanted @MRX330.
Damn dust! So Koozy said you’d rather have the diffuser over the Hotchkis. Still feel that way?

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #63
From what I see, both bars are tight up against the twistbeam.
The Eibach is straight and runs along the bottom edge of the beam.
However, the Hotchkis has a bend in it and is much higher on the beam in the center.
As the disffuser goes toward the front of the car, it angles upward and is very close to the top of the beam.
There appears to be no way to trim the diffuser at this location without loosing the front mounting point.

I do believe there is a solution.
It would require tweeking the bends on the front edge of the diffuser just a little.
Then adding spacers between the front mounting bracket and the car.
This would allow the front edge of the diffuser to be moved about 1/2 inch to the rear and clear the Hotchkis bar.
This would also lower the front edge of the diffuser but by an insignifagnt amount.

This is only a theory based on photos but it is easy to do and worth a try.
I wonder if there is another place to fasten it under the car? I’m in theory land as well

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I wonder if there is another place to fasten it under the car? I’m in theory land as well
Finding another mount point would involve a lot more work.
You would need to build another bracket and still trim or bend the diffuser plate.
But then again, what ever works.
My way (above) would be only the cost 2 screws and spacers and take only about 30 minutes.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #66
Finding another mount point would involve a lot more work.
You would need to build another bracket and still trim or bend the diffuser plate.
But then again, what ever works.
My way (above) would be only the cost 2 screws and spacers and take only about 30 minutes.
Well seeing that to make it fit with the Hotchkis I will have to modify it and may lose the original mounting points. I was thinking out loud

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I am not going to your house to help you.
However, you are welcome to come out here.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #74
From the looks of it it’s amazing CaptinFord fit an Eibach in there.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Mine has arrived.
Now the fun begins.
I will start by making a pattern out of foam core board that I can start cutting on.
This project is going to take a while to complete.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #76
Mine has arrived.
Now the fun begins.
I will start by making a pattern out of foam core board that I can start cutting on.
This project is going to take a while to complete.
👏👏👏

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Good thing it is mounting under the car.
Because it almost does not fit in the car.

20190507_131158.jpg

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #78
Hey shouldn’t that chair in the back have wheels on it?