Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Orange key light turned on after potentially money shifting but turned off after restarting the car. Should I be concerned?

I was doing a 2nd-3rd pull and I went to put it into third and hit the spot right between first and third and either threw it back into first or hit the gas again while in neutral - it happened so fast I’m not entirely sure what I did. Either way, It was a complete rookie move.

I don’t believe the tachometer ever passed the red line. I immediately dropped it into fourth and the orange key light came on. The car drove normally the last few minutes home and I turned it off and on again and the light went away. The car is under a 30 day bumper to bumper warranty still. Should I go to the dealer even if there’s no code?

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did you look to see if a code was set? Even though there is no light....it still may have logged a code*

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
Did you look to see if a code was set? Even though there is no light....it still may have logged a code*

Not yet. My friend has a Ford scanning tool and I’ll be driving to his house to plug it in and see. Is this sufficient?
Edit: also I was planning buying a Cobb access port in the future to mod the car. Should I just buy it now also to see the engine data?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Also, if you plan on taking it to the dealer for any reason (like this one), I would recommend that you do NOT use an accessport yet. The only way to get it to give you diagnostics / codes is to flash the car, which a dealer can see. I would wait until after the engine et al are nice and broken in before tuning.

OP
D
Thread Starter #6
Also, if you plan on taking it to the dealer for any reason (like this one), I would recommend that you do NOT use an accessport yet. The only way to get it to give you diagnostics / codes is to flash the car, which a dealer can see. I would wait until after the engine et al are nice and broken in before tuning.
thank you! I ended up taking it to a friend that has a Ford specific code reader and it said no codes today previously. He owns a Focus ST and said a similar thing happened to him where it showed the maintenance light and went away. He brought the car to the dealer who said no issues. I took it out driving and laid into it to do some pulls to see how it drove; everything was normal. I think I got extremely lucky and dodged a bullet.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I don't know if this is old school but if you change your oil you'll get a good idea of what happened, if anything. Change it yourself and spend the $30 on a Blackstone report for peace of mind.

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
I don't know if this is old school but if you change your oil you'll get a good idea of what happened, if anything. Change it yourself and spend the $30 on a Blackstone report for peace of mind.
I never heard of this until now. Sounds like a great idea. Thank you!

If you money shifted it, the valve might have hit the piston. If the car is running fine, I would imagine the worse case scenario is you caused superficial valve damage, but it's generally sealing/moving okay. I may be mistaken, but I don't know what a oil analysis is going to tell you.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You would have to Borescope the Cylinders to see if it contacted the Piston crown and do a compression test also.

Last edited: