Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheating issue during Autocross

nice, thanks for the data. I'm definitely dumping my coolant for water if I do some track days.

Problem officially fixed, after running back to back at the SCCA prosolo no issues. Changed the Thermostat to a lower temp 180 and change the coolant percentage to 25 %. done and big headache in the past

Andres
For this weekends Packwood event, I went to 25% coolant with water wetter, and distilled water. I had no heating issue, though it wasn't particularly hot. We did do a test n tune, so had a few back/back runs, never saw it get out of normal range... other then when it was shut off right after a run (not allowing the radiator to do its work), 30-45 seconds with the car running and coolant flowing it was fine.

OP
A
Thread Starter #23
For this weekends Packwood event, I went to 25% coolant with water wetter, and distilled water. I had no heating issue, though it wasn't particularly hot. We did do a test n tune, so had a few back/back runs, never saw it get out of normal range... other then when it was shut off right after a run (not allowing the radiator to do its work), 30-45 seconds with the car running and coolant flowing it was fine.
After one event without overheating , I had a codriver at the next weekend, started overheating again, took it to the dealer, thet called 4 too mechanics , look around the car , veredict was radiator was dirty lol, so went home pressure washed the radiator, but also opened the purge valve, and then surprise.. a huge air pocket, it took 1 min to start seen water out.. problem solved. Freaking dealer.

Andres

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
CAREFUL with the pressure washers around radiators and ICs, they can bent the fins VERY easily, even when not at full pressure force. [:(]

TimR430

I have the overheat issue as well. I just run the heater during runs and while idling in grid and that has worked. I've run several events with ambient temps in the 90's with no more limp mode. But I may try the coolant mix and t-stat solution because it gets hot as balls in the car, especially with mine being black.

I have the overheat issue as well. I just run the heater during runs and while idling in grid and that has worked. I've run several events with ambient temps in the 90's with no more limp mode. But I may try the coolant mix and t-stat solution because it gets hot as balls in the car, especially with mine being black.
I was at an event this last weekend. I was co-driving a buddys car, so had 2 other newbies driving my car. It was 101 as a high and no reports of any cooling issues. Every time I got in to ride along (most runs) I checked the gauge, never went above normal. We did try to run the heater between runs.
This is after swapping to 25% coolant, with distilled water and water wetter.

armcast

Wish I had a solution to this issue, I’ve dealt with it every summer since I got the car. I purchased a mountune radiator and 180 thermo earlier this week after I overheated one too many times during normal daily driving. Not only does my car overheat during autox, daily driving in TX summers is a pain. I constantly need to keep an eye on my coolant temp (monitor with AP) and be ready to roll windows down and blast heat when they get to high. Mind you, this is several times A DAY during normal commutes, driving as lightly as possible.
During autox I blast heat during and in between runs, this usually keeps me out of limp mode unless I do back-to-back runs, in which case the car will definitely go limp.
I’ve autocrossed seriously for over a year now in HS. I know upgrading the radiator bumps me up to STH, and I’ve just come to accept that. I know I won’t be competitive at all, but this is my daily driver and as a college student I can really only afford one car atm. So i’ve decided to slowly build to STH rules and just have fun with the car. Ultimately, I have track dreams so the mods allowed in STH will end up being nice additions for seat time at the track. Wish it didn’t have to be this way though lol HS has some good drivers in my region and I’ll probably be back of the pack in street touring, oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I had a solution to this issue, I’ve dealt with it every summer since I got the car. I purchased a mountune radiator and 180 thermo earlier this week after I overheated one too many times during normal daily driving. Not only does my car overheat during autox, daily driving in TX summers is a pain. I constantly need to keep an eye on my coolant temp (monitor with AP) and be ready to roll windows down and blast heat when they get to high. Mind you, this is several times A DAY during normal commutes, driving as lightly as possible.
During autox I blast heat during and in between runs, this usually keeps me out of limp mode unless I do back-to-back runs, in which case the car will definitely go limp.
I’ve autocrossed seriously for over a year now in HS. I know upgrading the radiator bumps me up to STH, and I’ve just come to accept that. I know I won’t be competitive at all, but this is my daily driver and as a college student I can really only afford one car atm. So i’ve decided to slowly build to STH rules and just have fun with the car. Ultimately, I have track dreams so the mods allowed in STH will end up being nice additions for seat time at the track. Wish it didn’t have to be this way though lol HS has some good drivers in my region and I’ll probably be back of the pack in street touring, oh well.

Yikes, just daily driving overheats? I haven't had that issue, but it is a lot cooler up here...

Curious... Have you tested to see if it holds specified coolant system pressure? It’s a fairly high pressure system compared to older cars.