Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheating issue

I just bought a 2014 Fiesta ST and it overheated before I even got home from the dealership. As soon as the car is turned on the thermostat for the car goes all the way up and the check engine light comes on. The coolant isn’t going down at all. Any ideas on what it could be?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
There was a factory recall, #17S09 on the '14- '15,
If the work has not been done you can sill get it done.

Just fitted this to my Fiesta ST today..

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

I just bought a 2014 Fiesta ST and it overheated before I even got home from the dealership. As soon as the car is turned on the thermostat for the car goes all the way up and the check engine light comes on. The coolant isn’t going down at all. Any ideas on what it could be?
I could have cooked my head gasket like more than ten times over. If I wasn't fkn watching. These cars have bad parts . The coolant tank is shit and the radiator is under sized.. these engines cook pretty easily when overheated too..

what does this do to help overheating?
By not leaking.. The plastic ones start leaking after a while and you can lose your coolant while driving only to find out by a warning light on the dash at which would be already too late.

I been watching the coolant temp's while driving using torque pro app for months with the plastic tank and I'm still watching the temperature now with the mishimoto metal tank and the temps have dropped about 3 - 4 degrees.. same driving same ambient temperature..

Could be the new coolant but I only replaced what was lost from swapping out the old tank to give back to the shop as it only lasted about 8 months, had a 2 year warranty..

I could have cooked my head gasket like more than ten times over. If I wasn't fkn watching. These cars have bad parts . The coolant tank is shit and the radiator is under sized.. these engines cook pretty easily when overheated too..

It doesn't help any if you are very observant of the temperature gauge. It is so heavily buffered that the difference between normal and damn near on fire is one or two bars. Owners should always be prepared for the possibility of overheating and remember to get that damn heater blower cranked up ASAP! That is the fastest way to get it to cool down a bit.

HBEcoBeaST

Take it in the for the recall. A new overflow tank won't help . It's a combination of crappy lines, the 207F factory thermostat and Ford not giving an F about upgrading the cooling system for the ST which produces a good +50% power of the original ST it shares the cooling system with.

And the recall will give you a new 180F thermostat, new coolant tank, new lines and they will check for head gasket damage.

It doesn't help any if you are very observant of the temperature gauge. It is so heavily buffered that the difference between normal and damn near on fire is one or two bars. Owners should always be prepared for the possibility of overheating and remember to get that damn heater blower cranked up ASAP! That is the fastest way to get it to cool down a bit.
I been cranking the heater.. just lucky it's winter.. 99 degrees Celsius is the highest I have seen it this winter. At the end of last summer it got to 101 degrees.. 28 degrees ambient temperature..

Take it in the for the recall. A new overflow tank won't help . It's a combination of crappy lines, the 207F factory thermostat and Ford not giving an F about upgrading the cooling system for the ST which produces a good +50% power of the original ST it shares the cooling system with.

And the recall will give you a new 180F thermostat, new coolant tank, new lines and they will check for head gasket damage.
Exactly. Does the 2014 ST fall into the recall? I checked and there no recalls as far as I remember.. Worst coolant line is that one that goes around the front of the engine bay...

HBEcoBeaST

Exactly. Does the 2014 ST fall into the recall? I checked and there no recalls as far as I remember.. Worst coolant line is that one that goes around the front of the engine bay...

yes it is specifically the 2014-2015 model years. Type in your VIN here to find out if yours is affected which it most likely is:
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

I had only ever done the airbag check... Via registration plate search.. This means what for that recall then..?

Last edited:
I bought my 2017 brand new last year and it has overheated 8 times. It went into limp-mode and automatically shut the AC off 3 times. I went to the dealer today and they're already giving me the runaround.
It's in San Diego now, but they won't be able to reproduce the issue here because it's 75F. When I go home to the desert it's 100-120F and it overheats.

I bought my 2017 brand new last year and it has overheated 8 times. It went into limp-mode and automatically shut the AC off 3 times. I went to the dealer today and they're already giving me the runaround.
It's in San Diego now, but they won't be able to reproduce the issue here because it's 75F. When I go home to the desert it's 100-120F and it overheats.
That's pretty bad... Is your head gasket still intact..? I heard they blow pretty easily when it comes to overheating.. I have to fix mine myself here in Australia as Ford are such a pack of snakes.. all the bad stories I hear of them getting little 1st year apprentices to work on people's cars only to find out later that they didn't do the job right... Also crashing your car while test driving it...