Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Paint Defect (Bubbling/Corrosion/Etc) Resource Thread

The tape was how the body shop would show with pictures that the paint was defective. Any time I had a spot I was worried about I would bring it in for the manager to tape and peel. If it peeled he could get it painted. How they decided that they could spot treat something that bad is beyond me. I knew it was bad when I saw the managers face. He said he had been there like 25 years and never seen anything that bad ford or otherwise.

@BlueBullet I believe yours is the first '14 I've seen with the issue, and that is quite severe. You've nearly got the whole shebang - poor adhesion, orange peeling, flaking, thin spots, seam/hem corrosion, and more. In fact, it looks like you got a double whammy of the "typical" corrosion issue along with a wildly shit paint job to begin with. You've even got issues on the body itself! Unless a lot of that is from the warranty repairs? Although, one of those shots looks like it's caused by the edge of the door trim panel rubbing, rather than the paint and sheet metal committing seppuku on their own.

Saddening to see that it seems to affect all model years of the FiST.
The issues with the body werent from the repairs. The shop fixed them as good as any body shop can. The warranty fix has held up. Only place I am having trouble that they painted is a chip or two on the hood which really isnt something you can avoid just by painting correctly. That and the hatch where I can tell they just did not do enough stripping. I know they were limited in what Ford would pay for so I dont blame the shop. The shop blended a scratch to bare metal on the door so well (service department scratched it during and oil change) that I can only tell where it is if I get in the right light to see where the clear coat changes. Also the one spot on the door is thin weak paint. It doesnt rub much but some plastic should not rub a hole in paint like that. Also the roof got repainted due to clear coat flaking/scratching/bumps and thin paint. I had scratches all over the roof (2+ foot scratches that were white) from stray cats getting on my car when visiting places I think. I really did get some terrible paint. Basically it needed to be stripped to the frame of all parts and sand blasted then repainted. That's why the body shop manager said it would always have paint troubles because spot fixing would not cover anywhere near everything. He painted everything he got approval for. Heard it was about $10k

I think that the opportunity to change the color of my FiST from Kona blue to a close approximate of the show car only Liquid Blue is only about 150 hours of labor in addition to the panel replacement. This is assuming that I have to basically blow all the body panels off the shell. It's not like the factory finish is really good and will last much longer anyways. It is a lot of work to do no matter what I do.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are there ANY model year '16 owners who do NOT have this seam bubbling at all?? [dunno]

Mine does not appear to have any of this, at any seam, although it DID have the antenna surround bubbling, but then again my eyes are much worse than the majority on here.

Could I have been just 'lucky' with the paint crew/detail on the day mine was prepped/sprayed? [???:)]

EDIT; Upon closer inspection, mine does have this at most of the seams. [mad] [:(]

I was just at the dealer, and they took the pics to send to Ford 's warranty department.
Can I get the area Ford service rep involved if Ford denies any action/fix??

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
My 2017 has some mild bubbling on the tailgate. Underneath the hood there was a spot that appeared to have a build up of clear coat and had cracks in it like donut glazing it flaked off when I rubbed it.

Honestly I'm just going to keep an eye on things for now. I figure the corrosion warranty is for 5 years and I would prefer to have it addressed when things are worse off than a few minor spots.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Are there ANY model year '16 owners who do NOT have this seam bubbling at all?? [dunno]

Mine does not appear to have any of this, at any seam, although it DID have the antenna surround bubbling, but then again my eyes are much worse than the majority on here.

Could I have been just 'lucky' with the paint crew/detail on the day mine was prepped/sprayed? [???:)]
I have bubbling around my antenna as well as all the seams. I would just check often just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Got my car back 5 days later after Ford approved the poor paint adhesion. Got it back and looks good now, we'll see if it lasts. Thankfully I was looking at this forum when it was in the bodyshop and saw a member was having paint peel underneath their hood too. When I got my car back I immediately popped my hood and checked. Low and behold the hood was doing the same thing as the hatch, paint flaking and peeling off. Took it by the bodyshop today to get Fords approval again for my hood.

After this my paint should be fine.....for now. We'll see, trying to be optimistic.

I just bought a used 2015 ST with only 12500 miles car looks absolutely mint not a single chip or scratch....but I stumbled upon the bubbling on hatch, one door and hood. If you all get a chance check your wheels wells on the inside there maybe hidden damage in there. I'm pretty choked about all this as I truly love the car but this has really tainted my love for the ST. I really have no choice but to deal with it myself as car is not under warranty with regards to this stuff. Maybe some oil fluid film will help.
Was going to pick up a new Civic SI kind of kicking myself now. Good thing the Fiesta ST is still a funner car to drive than the civic :)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just was Dinging around today....removed my Turbo blanket. Found this near hinges on back hatch....Thanks ford....you Fucks.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Just was Dinging around today....removed my Turbo blanket. Found this near hinges on back hatch....Thanks ford....you Fucks.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
That was a common spot for me too. Also the area around the bolts that hold our wing to the hatch has been a problem for me. Honestly anywhere that metal meets metal has been an issue [emoji23]

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Got the car back today. During the first inspection last week I found a few things they missed or goofed on. It was worth picking up this time. No major flaws from the respray and the color matching was on point.

It was then traded it in for a 2020 Civic Si. They gave me more than what I owed, and being the end of the month they swung me a pretty killer deal on the new car. Unfortunately, this is the end of my time as a FiST owner. I'll still check in from time to time. Good luck to the rest of you!
Sorry that happened to you. Im sure the Civic will be civil, and be a good car. Honda gets fit and finish.

My paint seems fine. I was lucky. It's unforgiveable in this day and age for the shitty paint you got.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Got the car back today. During the first inspection last week I found a few things they missed or goofed on. It was worth picking up this time. No major flaws from the respray and the color matching was on point.

It was then traded it in for a 2020 Civic Si. They gave me more than what I owed, and being the end of the month they swung me a pretty killer deal on the new car. Unfortunately, this is the end of my time as a FiST owner. I'll still check in from time to time. Good luck to the rest of you!

After piss poor paint work on mine I honestly don’t even want mine anymore either. I’m sick of dealing with the shit. Thanks ford.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Looking for input from anyone what I should do in my situation. Long story short. A year ago I had a dealer get my new 17 from another dealer. When it came in it had a big chip to bare metal on 1/4 panel. I was told would be taken care of and had them write on sales agreement. I tried and tried this past year with no luck getting fixed till I contacted bbb and ford. I heard back from dealer and had apt to see them to get fixed. At that time I mentioned hood being messed up and figured while doing paint on 1/4 just do the hood under warranty also. I got my car back and hood is a good deal darker than rest of car. It has run on lower edge of hood that make a ridge so can tell sprayed on super thick in a rush. On to the 1/4 panel that piss me off the most. The color is also darker. It has at least 8-10 spots of bigger dust particle bumps.I can see some scratches under the clear coat. They made a sweet tape line inside the door and the clear paint protector stuff has air bubbles all over and even pulling up some inside door area. Oh yeah way worse than stock orange peel. I went back and bitched some other day and they said to bring back. At this point I don’t even want them touching my car as they fucked it up already to the point don’t want it anymore. This has been nothing but a headache with them. Do I contact ford ? What would you do? This shit make me sick. I paid for a new car not a scratch and dent special.

Last edited:
That’s definitely not right that they wouldn’t fix it when it was in the contract. Here in Michigan I believe the first repair attempt needs to be within the first year so by them not fixing it they are screwing you there as you only got a year. That may vary by state. I would definitely have them try to fix it though because if they can’t and you bring it in enough it could qualify as a lemon. Make sure to keep all documentation of the repairs as you will need them if you do decide to take them to court with a lawyer. Also take lots of pictures. I didn’t need any of the 80 pictures that I took but it definitely helps if they ask for it. Google your specific state laws and it should tell you the requirements for your state when it comes lemon law.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I feel like lemon law won’t apply as it wasn’t a factory defect. It likely happened in shipping or something. This dealer is a joke and after seeing this poor quality work makes me not trust them to touch it anymore. I went into this repair work knowing it would likely be slightly flawed compared to oem and I was ok with that but when it looks like someone was just learning to paint Is a different story. These idiots didn’t even clean my car before painting. It was still was just as dirty as the day I dropped it off. I also feel like they are all pissed at me for getting bbb involved and treat me like garbage. Maybe I’m best reaching out to ford and see if they will help.I really would like to keep The car few more years but I’m very picky about condition of My cars and this would drive me nuts to own In this condition. And now not to mention resale on my car just went down the tubes because of this shit repair work.

It’s not your fault that you had to do that. They didn’t hold up their end of the bargain. I’m pretty sure my dealers service manager had it with me too but you bought a NEW car from them so you should get it fixed and it should look as a NEW car should look.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
It’s not your fault that you had to do that. They didn’t hold up their end of the bargain. I’m pretty sure my dealers service manager had it with me too but you bought a NEW car from them so you should get it fixed and it should look as a NEW car should look.

They don’t seem to get that. This has been the worst dealer I ever had to deal with. I wish could have someone else fix.