Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Paint Defect (Bubbling/Corrosion/Etc) Resource Thread

Erick_V

I have a weird one to add to this list. I noticed it a few months ago but figured something like bird poo etched into the paint. Had to remove my antenna because birds kept landing on it messing up my roof! Besides the point lol. This is on the front passenger fender, just beginning to chip. Super annoying but I’ve also been thinking about doing Track Life fender style cut outs. May be a good practice fender if I get a new one painted and go that route. Car is a MY2016

98612CFE-2087-4F5C-B787-1B50A098602E.png

Sam4

I was able to convince the regional rep for Mazda to cover paint bubble damage. Thanks, but you get what you pay for - get a rattle can. (apologies to my deceased 08Mazspd3....)

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
WOW! Talk about orange peel finish on the paint! That's why I will never buy a dark coloured car! My silver car doesn't have one blemish on it. Didn't you spot this when you bought the car?

Erick_V

WOW! Talk about orange peel finish on the paint! That's why I will never buy a dark coloured car! My silver car doesn't have one blemish on it. Didn't you spot this when you bought the car?
It was just fine when I bought the car. I noticed the usual seam bubbling at 34k (pictures on page 1 of this thread), I’m currently about to hit 70k. This didn’t show itself until this year

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not talking about the bubbling. Look at the ripples in the paint underneath that. Orange peel finish.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My dealership covered the inside of my hatch where it showed a little rust and paint flaking off. No perforation
That is your dealers choice. Warranty says perforation as many have found out.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Different info for 2016 and 2022 Corrosion Coverage. 2022 says surface rust is covered, 2016 says perforation only.

2022 info

What does the Ford Corrosion Warranty cover?
The Ford Corrosion Warranty states:
  • If the body sheet metal has corrosion damage without perforation (holes), and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage and/or extreme environmental conditions, then the corrosion damage repairs are covered under the New Vehicle Warranty period: 3 years or 36,000 miles for cars & light trucks.
  • Rust damage resulting in perforation in body sheet metal panels is covered for 5 years/unlimited miles for cars & light trucks.
  • Aluminum Panels on 2015 F150s, 2016 cars & light trucks, and beyond vehicles, corrosion damage is covered for 5 years/unlimited miles with no requirement for perforation.

2016 Warranty Guide

(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

ScreenHunter_11160 Aug. 02 16.39.jpg

Different info for 2016 and 2022 Corrosion Coverage. 2022 says surface rust is covered, 2016 says perforation only.

2022 info

What does the Ford Corrosion Warranty cover?
The Ford Corrosion Warranty states:
  • If the body sheet metal has corrosion damage without perforation (holes), and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage and/or extreme environmental conditions, then the corrosion damage repairs are covered under the New Vehicle Warranty period: 3 years or 36,000 miles for cars & light trucks.
  • Rust damage resulting in perforation in body sheet metal panels is covered for 5 years/unlimited miles for cars & light trucks.
  • Aluminum Panels on 2015 F150s, 2016 cars & light trucks, and beyond vehicles, corrosion damage is covered for 5 years/unlimited miles with no requirement for perforation.

2016 Warranty Guide

(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

View attachment 50355
So in this case, what is “corrosion”? Does causing the paint to bubble count, or does it have to have visible rust?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
So in this case, what is “corrosion”? Does causing the paint to bubble count, or does it have to have visible rust?
One of the guides referred to surface rust. Bubbled paint is rust but below the surface. So it seems to me it is how your dealer calls it. Even your Ford warranty says a dealer is free to do uncovered repairs for "customer relations". So it allows dealers to do things and pays for it but depending on the year they don't have to do it from what my warranty says but I an beyond the 5 years anyway. I have no clue when the change came about but the internet has the same perforation stuff from my 2016 Ford warranty guide up to 2021 articles of perforation only. So could be new for 2022, who knows?

I have been fine with my '16, no rust or paint chips on the front. Ford customer care did several things for me that got me $1200 back from the dealer but also had records on me going back to my first new Ford in 1979. 5 more after. No different than my businesses, long term customers received special treatment.

Last edited: