Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Part No. for the CV joint boot?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I have a CV joint boot that split. I suppose it is called technically the outer passenger side CV joint boot. There are kits that I see on the interwebs, but I'd like to make sure that I got the correct part number...
Anybody with that knowledge - for the MY2015 FiST?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The boot kits I'm seeing online from the Ford parts stores are like $70 that's insane. It almost seems like you'd be better off just buying a new CV axle. My brother installed one of the universal CV axle boot kits on his Ford Focus it works but it was a heck of a mess to install.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Tasca has them for about $70 or so, which is quite annoying for what the kit actually includes. And, although it looks identical to the passenger side, the driver's side kit is $4 more for some reason. Are there some universal boots, like something Dorman makes? Dorman makes a split boot (which is obviously easier to install, but kinda defeats the purpose) that looks similar for $20...

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It may look easier to install the split boot but you have to clean everything really well, and you actually have to use a included adhesive plus clamps to put both sides together. You also have to do some cutting on the ends as they are oversized. This is just my personal experience with my Brother doing this on his Ford Focus it was quite a hassle in my opinion.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
It may look easier to install the split boot but you have to clean everything really well, and you actually have to use a included adhesive plus clamps to put both sides together. You also have to do some cutting on the ends as they are oversized. This is just my personal experience with my Brother doing this on his Ford Focus it was quite a hassle in my opinion.

I hear that. But - pulling out the half-shaft or at least pulling it out at the CV joint is a hassle as well. I wonder what it the lesser of the two evils...

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
True very true. I'm sure you can handle installing a universal kit just fine. It's just a little messy.