Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Parts Interchangability

I have a friend who is looking into purchasing a used Base Fiesta.
The car he is looking at will have the basic 1.6 Ti-VCT engine and a 5 speed box.

He approached me wondering if the parts i am pulling off of my car (suspension bits and brakes in particular) would fit on his.
Do the Struts have the same bolt up / pick up points?

Obviously a base owner would like to upgrade to our brake setup with disks all around.

I know that the Torsion Beams are different part numbers between the two models, but my understanding is that it is the same design but adds 85% more torsional strength in the ST.

What about the transmission? Our 6 gear would likely help the NA model quite a bit.

I have spent some time looking around on the Ford Parts site but it is difficult to cross reference and frustration set in rather quickly.

www.fordparts.com

Would anyone like to share any information they have so that others may benefit?

If there is a lot of response i would be glad to create a listing of part numbers between the two and produce a cross-reference form to make it easy access.

Thanks in advance guys.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Someone had mentioned before that the suspension parts are interchangeable on the regular Fiesta. I don't know about the transmission.

OP
Slimer
Thread Starter #3
Do you have a link to the conversation?

Is there any data or part numbers to assist?

Example: the Last Gen Focus RS RevoKnuckle was not a direct bolt in for the other Foci (to my understanding).

I suppose i am looking for some definitive results as Ford has done that type of thing before and the more we can document the better [:)]

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The suspension parts ARE interchangeable.
All the bolt points ARE the same.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
You may have a big problem with the transmission.
The 5 speed computer will not talk to the 6 speed.
The 6 speed computer will not talk to the Fiesta ECU.

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Unless you are building a rally car or want a softer rear axle and then a sway bar of sorts you will want to keep yours, most likely.

I have not confirmed where the camber and toe are set on the base Fiesta thought I know cars built at Team O'Neil swap ST to base axles but not sure if they use the knuckles from the base or not as well.

I know the ST knuckles are machined at an angle. I wanted to have mine machined to change the toe and camber settings or get quality shims made but had no luck there so cut and relocated the mounts on the ends of the axle to do what I needed, it was a far more interesting project than I imagined but came out great and I l figured out an easier method on the 4th try to align it right I can share if interested. This is a very serious mod obviously.

Are you building some sort of all out race car using a dog box or sequential transaxle? Or perhaps the 5 speed is a bit stronger and meets your needs better?

OP
Slimer
Thread Starter #7
1) I have not confirmed where the camber and toe are set on the base Fiesta thought I know cars built at Team O'Neil swap ST to base axles but not sure if they use the knuckles from the base or not as well.

2)Are you building some sort of all out race car using a dog box or sequential transaxle? Or perhaps the 5 speed is a bit stronger and meets your needs better?
1) I found this... View attachment 2014 Fiesta Alignment specs.pdf

2) His build will be the basics. Get 150-160hp out of the 1.6L and tighten the rest of the car up. Hot street / Auto-crosser. The idea with the trans is that the ratios are closer than in the 5-speed, so it would likely be a more effective use of the base cars thin powerband.
He is just looking for cost effective solutions, like bolting on all my factory ST items that will be changed out.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I had seen that chart, just forgot about it....thanks, I saved it now.

I did not like the stock alignment from prior live axle experience, why I did so much work to change mine. As can be seen normal cars are setup to under steer, the ST more oversteer but at the speeds I run on track, not to my liking though it can still be very quick, just not as safe on really high speed corners nor as fast in slow speeds with more body roll.

Is the final drive ratio lower(higher number)? That would be the biggest single help in a trans swap but also a lower first gear would help in the same way, closer ratios as mentioned also.

There is a chance the 5 and 6 speed share the same ring and pinion fitment as well if he found a broken case transaxle for cheap it might work out.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
ST has less neg rear camber than the regular Fiesta to help get it to rotate faster. If I had a regular Fiesta and wanted to upgrade using ST parts, this is what I would do; (actually talking to my brother about the same subject for his 1.0L Fiesta)
ST take-off struts, front springs, shocks, and rear springs
Aftermarket sway bar mounted on the non-ST twist beam

That would be a good start on the suspension, but you may actually find better prices on the Ford Racing suspension kit and come out with a lower car that isn't as stiff. It is a really good kit for the money.

For brakes, swapping to take-off front and rear discs would not be a bad idea if you got everything really cheap. Unless they are driving very hard on the street (almost to the point of wreckless) or doing a lot of track events, the stock Fiesta brakes are good enough. Pads, rotors, new fluid and they will hold up to autocrossing and spirited street driving with no issue. Actually do ok on small tracks too. The PumaSpeed 300mm front rotor upgrade using SVT Focus rotors looks good and works well at a decent price. I had that on my 2011 Fiesta. The spindles on the ST are different, so the brakes are probably not a direct swap between the ST and non-ST. If you used ST spindles, you would get better steering response since the tie rods are in a different location. The rack is the same, but the steering ratio change on the ST is from the spindle.

I would not bother with the transmission due to the PCM issue. Ford has a part number for a higher final drive gear that was used in a "sport" model.

Shocks, springs, and struts from the ST would be the best bet for your friend's Fiesta. I have also heard the ST exhaust will work on the 1.6L Fiesta, but it would be for more looks than performance since the factory systems aren't the most free flowing things on the planet.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Very good post:):)

I know of a rally car builder that swaps to the none ST rear twist beam on ST rally cars.

ST knuckles are cheap, even less for the rears with ears for the calipers already there making this a pretty easy swap.

(Note: the rear knuckles have camber and toe machined in so not sure how they would work on the none ST beam)

Octane Academy cars see lots of hard use but only one lapping event during the day but the brakes hold up just fine and they only change pads every few months and not sure they have changed the rotors or not.

I figured there might be a PCM issue with a tranny swap, had not looked into it as no reason for my personal needs, more good info and advice. Factory parts to change the ratio might be very cost effective though it might change the fuel mileage a bit but trade offs are part of modding.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The front brake parts are also interchangeable.

If you change them as a group you can put the ST parts on the NON-ST.
That would be Calipers,Pads, and Rotors.
You would then have the ST 278mm front rotors.

I know this to be true as I have been involved in building a bigger brake set for the ST and I have been using a NON-ST spindle for mocking up the parts.
These parts are now on my ST and are available (special order) providing 323mm front rotors.
This is why I bought your calipers, Rick.

As been said, you can use front SVT Focus rotors on the Non-ST.
This adaptor kit is available now and you don't need to have it shipped from the UK.

A rear disk conversion is all ready available for the Non-ST with two rotor sizes available.
I am also currently testing the rear 280mm rotor upgrade for the ST.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The CAT back exhaust from an ST will also fit the NON-ST.
This has been done by a member of this forum.
This may allow more choices in exhaust systems.
However you may need to lower the rear most muffler hanger to clear the valance on the NON-ST.

Dave

So has anybody tried putting a non-ST rear beam on an ST. I'd like to balence out the handeling.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
But will the ST hub carriers fit?
Or will other MODs need to be done?

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am not sure, probably bolt up but the ST has specific camber and toe machined in so it would be best to research hubs, perhaps calling, Team O,Neil...

I am not sure, probably bolt up but the ST has specific camber and toe machined in so it would be best to research hubs, perhaps calling, Team O,Neil...
So is the camber set with the beam, or with the angle machined hubs? From the alignment spec posted earlier, the toe looks to be the same between the standard and the ST.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I see no offset built into the FiST hub carriers so any alignment changes must be in the beam itself.
I also don't believe that the hub carriers are directly interchangeable.
This would mean that other modifications would be required to get the disk brakes to work on the NON-ST beam.
However there are kits available for this so it should not be too much trouble.

I don't understand, if you think the FiST rear is too stiff, (personally I don't) why not add to the front bar.
Wouldn't that be a lot easer and cheaper?

Dave