Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Please help bubbling noise

Hey guys
My st makes a loud bubbling and gurgling noise from the overflow tank after a drive Would this be due to the pump still running after turning off the engine

Does this seem normal

My st is a late 2016 model so the header tank is upto date

Have opened the bleeder valve to see if any air is in the system but the oolant flows straight out and normally that means there isnt air in system

Any help would be great

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey guys
My st makes a loud bubbling and gurgling noise from the overflow tank after a drive Would this be due to the pump still running after turning off the engine

Does this seem normal

My st is a late 2016 model so the header tank is upto date

Have opened the bleeder valve to see if any air is in the system but the oolant flows straight out and normally that means there isnt air in system

Any help would be great
No....the pump is belt driven. Car not running ...pump not running. It can be air still escaping or coolant circulating around after you let some out. Did you let the car get up to operating temp to flow through the thermostat after installing new reservoir and watching for air to escape?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
L
Thread Starter #3
A new res was never added buddy
My st has done this from 8 months ago

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
A new res was never added buddy
My st has done this from 8 months ago
My bad....wasn't paying attention to the thread hopping I was doing. How many miles on the car? What is the coolant level at usually? Does it go up and down? Mine also gurgle but not often....fyi.

I have seen this in my system that I am confident doesn’t have air in it. After dealing with head gasket issues for years I just quickly looked away to ignore it rather than worry. I have 7k trouble free miles on a mountune radiator so I feel fine.

OP
L
Thread Starter #6
My bad....wasn't paying attention to the thread hopping I was doing. How many miles on the car? What is the coolant level at usually? Does it go up and down? Mine also gurgle but not often....fyi.

Thats alright
18k and normally on low no matter how often it gets filled to maximum after a few days
Generally uses about 200ml over a few month

OP
L
Thread Starter #7
Agreed poofie
Mine has done it for so long sort of wonder maybe if its normal on some

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Bubbling in the overflow after driving is almost always a sign of a blown head gasket. Using coolant is another sign.

Coolant is going out your tailpipe, and air pressure is getting into your coolant.

OP
L
Thread Starter #9
Steve thankyou but why would a vehicle do this for 8 months with no sludge in the oi l and no white smoke
No engine lights and no loss in performance or anything
Temps are normal also
Would of thought a heat gasket would of reared a big prob by now

OP
L
Thread Starter #10
Bubbling in the overflow after driving is almost always a sign of a blown head gasket. Using coolant is another sign.

Coolant is going out your tailpipe, and air pressure is getting into your coolant.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Steve thankyou but why would a vehicle do this for 8 months with no sludge in the oi l and no white smoke
No engine lights and no loss in performance or anything
Temps are normal also
Would of thought a heat gasket would of reared a big prob by now
The gasket leak is between cylinder and coolant passage, not oil passage.

There are other causes, such as a coolant leak which leads to overheating and boiling coolant and introduction of air into the system, or a bad radiator cap. It can also happen after a coolant replacement when the system isn't fully bled of air.

https://www.holtsauto.com/prestone/news/what-does-mean-car-coolant-bubbling/

https://itstillruns.com/bubbles-radiator-overflow-tank-overheating-12019941.html

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The Best way to check for this is a cylinder leakdown test or a exhaust gas in the coolant system with Dye to see if exhaust is getting into the coolant.

OP
L
Thread Starter #15
So strange after filling it to maximum after one drive its on minimum and then stays on minimum and uses none for months
Thankyou

OP
L
Thread Starter #16
Hey Steve
Meant there is no milky ness on the engine oil filler that normally means head gask
Surely not a big deal if its done this for so long

My 94 F 150 bubbled in the over flow after driving, and it was from the radiator being clogged up with a lot of rust.
Replaced the radiator and never had another problem out of it.

So strange after filling it to maximum after one drive its on minimum and then stays on minimum and uses none for months
Thankyou
One thought since you are not showing anything in the oil or white smoke, since it is stopping at a certain level (low) in the coolant reservoir. could be a very small leak in the coolant tank that it leaks down to then stops. or if the height lines up with a hose coming out of the reservoir there could be a leak at the other end of the hose too. Once it gets below that level it will stop leaking and just struggles to maintain pressure due to the small leak (could be a super small pinhole)

Is there any residue below the coolant tank on the fender/shock tower from dried up coolant?

Hey, I had a very similar Issue. My overflow tank had a pin hole leak and would drain down to a certain level and than stop. It also made a hissing/bubbling noise that could only be heard right after shutting down the engine. Once I replaced the tank, all symptoms disappeared. The leak was so small I never noticed any dripping or anything.