Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Powerflex Passenger Side Insert, yellow street discussion, w/some trans mount too.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I've installed both and noticed a few things and question one or two.
I notice the solid feeling when pulling off the line the most. I love it. It appears, until I drive it more, that the torque steer is less.
I notice the passenger directions picture ADDING the insert and it completely fills in the space.
Has anybody removed the passenger OE rubber and if so, was the poly alone too hard for it to hit up against under load?
Would removing the OE lessen the NVH or is the Trans insert a partial culprit?
I forgot that I had read the thread to use a zip tie instead of the o-ring, so I have to go back and switch it later. Does it fail by age or stress more?
Anything else to know?

(Doing the work was almost the same to replacing them on my Mazda 5 2.3L, including the battery box location/removal. Those weak-assed OE mounts were bad when I bought the car used, but I had no idea. I thought it was the tranny for over a year or two. I replaced them all and wow! Night and day. They will go bad again eventually, but I'd like to have a hi-perf option for one or two of them.)

green_henry

1000 Post Club
If you removed the OE rubber, you'd end up with a void that would need to be filled with something else, and I'm pretty sure that would be counter-productive.

My o-ring only lasted a few months. While I track my car, I don't think stress is the issue because you have to stretch it more to install it than it would ever stretch while driving. I think the material doesn't handle the engine heat very well. That said, I thought they replaced the original o-rings with something different last year, so maybe it's no longer an issue.

OP
flbchbm

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
The rubber OE is thin. About half of the pflex. There already is a gap....It's enough for the pflex...otherwise you would have to remove the OE.

The directions (pics) are to slide the pflex in. . Removing the rubber OE would leave less space than the OE on it's own. I replaced the bolt with the APR bolt and that is when I noticed it all.

Another way to look at it is the OE rubber was about one-third of the total space and the powerflex is about two-thirds of the total space. How could pflex alone w/less space be worse? The OE had a larger gap.

Last edited:

HBEcoBeaST

The insert keeps the mount 'stiffer' by not having any space to move around. By creating a gap you'll be negating most (all?) Of the benefits of the inserts. Having little to no gap is what makes the mounts stiffer. There's a reason the instructions have you keep the OEM rubber.

Give them 1,000-2000 miles to break in. They are a bit loud and add a bit more nvh while new vs when they're broken in. Adding the bolt in the psmm will not affect nvh. I replaced my bolt separately from when I installed my psmm and experienced no increase in nvh

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk