Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pre-facelift (2008-2013) tail light retrofit

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I spent some time last night searching for this write up and could not find it, so I present to the forum: retrofitting pre-facelift tail lights onto your FiST.

Do you dislike how busy the stock tail lights look? Do you dislike the chrome in the tail lights? Well I have a solution for you! The 2008-2013 Fiesta hatchback tail lights have a much less obtrusive / gaudy look. They are easily accessible in your local pull-and-pay style junkyard, eBay, or from Ford. All it takes is two screws and some minor rewiring, similar to what we have to do with Spec-D tail lights.

Here is the 08-13 look for reference:

What you will need:
-Left & Right tail light assemblies**
-Tail light wire harnesses
-Bulbs
-T25 Torx driver
-Tiny flathead screwdriver

** If you get this from a junkyard you should be able to get all of this together as one piece with the bulbs and harnesses.

Steps:
1) Watch this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke4ieJpFpTc
(about how to install the Spec-D lights) and watch from 0:50 - 6:20 about how to remove the tail light wires from the plug. The process is exactly the same.

2) Instead of putting the wires in as you would for the Spec-D use this diagram:
This is the back side of the plug ----> tail wire.png

01.jpg

It should look like this on the backside

3) remove your stock tail lights

4) replace with your new, old style, lights

5) Plug it in and make sure all of the lights work as they should

6) Take pictures. Here's mine:

02.jpg

Enjoy!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So long story short: You can use 2008-2013 taillights, just re-wire like you would for the Spec-D (but slightly different), but you don't have to even remove the mounting rod thing? In that case, I'm going to look at 08-13 aftermarket sets other than Spec-D!

Last edited:
OP
MagnetiseST

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
So long story short: You can use 2008-2013 taillights, just re-wire like you would for the Spec-D (but slightly different), but you don't have to even remove the mounting rod thing? In that case, I'm going to look at 08-13 aftermarket sets other than Spec-D!
These don't even have a mounting rod. None of the US spec ones do. Its the euro cars and the lights that were made for euro cars that do.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
These don't even have a mounting rod. None of the US spec ones do. Its the euro cars and the lights that were made for euro cars that do.
That's what I was trying to say, hehe... Now to find something I like, with not much selection out there I will likely just get them tinted by window guys, the DIY cover things I got totally suck and are coming off already.