Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Project STH

I decided to start a thread about my experiences in going to the STH class. The primary reason I did this was that I wanted to modify the car after keeping it HS legal for 4 years. I like to modify cars and who doesn't want more power and better handling? I realize that I won't be nationally competitive in STH, but my talent behind the wheel is a bigger handicap than anything else and I only run locally anyway, so who cares. Hopefully I can share some advice and maybe get help sorting things out.

As for the build, the car already ran Koni Yellows and an Eibach rear sway bar for suspension. I kept those and added the Eibach front bar, lower camber bolts up front, camber plates out back, and I slotted the front towers 4mm to get me -.2 deg camber all around. I lowered it with Swift springs, Whiteline sway bar end links, and I secured or trimmed out some of the wheel liner material for clearance. I run Hawk 5.0 pads front and rear on PowerSlot/OEM rotors, but upgraded to braided stainless steel brake lines and flushed it with Motul synthetic brake fluid.

For better traction, I had the Quaife LSD from Mountune installed. I kept my HS wheels, Enkei RFP1s, but switched to 205/50-16 Bridgestone RE71s from my BFGs. On the engine side, I upgraded to a Whoosh front-mount intercooler (FMIC), added a Cobb cold air intake (CAI), and installed a custom tune from Stratified through a Cobb Accessport.

OK, so why did I do what I did and what do I think?

Wheels/Tires: I got the Bridgestones really cheap, so while I don't particularly like the taller 50-series or the narrower 205, I saved money for entry fees. I find the tire fits my driving style better than the Rival S. If you are full of finesse and grace you may have a different experience, but if you drive like an angry gorilla like me, you might find the RE71s to be more forgiving. Around here (Pittsburgh) doing well while still cold and wet is often an advantage and the Bridgestones seem to have an edge there. I am WAY under the maximum 265 width allowed in the class, and while I won't be hitting that size, I would like to go wider at some point. This means custom 15" wheels with 40-series tires, we shall see.

LSD: The jury is still out on the LSD. It cost $1000 plus $2000 to install, which is pretty steep. I was hoping for a night and day difference, but can't say that I am blown away. The car pulls well out of corners, but can still spin a tire. If you pull the #1 fuse to disable traction management, you will spin tires like crazy, so I am not sure exactly what the LSD is doing up there. I would recommend doing this after everything else to see if you really need it. Maybe $3k in wheels/tires would be a better investment?

Engine: I ran the OTS Cobb tune for a while before I went to the Stratified tune. Both are a worthwhile improvement over stock, well worth the money. I went with Stratified because of good reviews and good customer service. They also adjusted the tune for the FMIC and intake. Power is good, torque is good, I can generally leave it in 2nd and send it. I think that sending them data logs and refining the tune would also be worth it, but I am going to dyno the car first and see what gains I made. If I think there is more to go, then I will do a full custom tune. OH, and don't forget to switch to the go-fast tune when you get to an event!

The Cobb intake was easy to install and doesn't hurt performance or sound, I am sure it is helping to make some more power. The Whoosh FMIC was harder to install, mostly because there is no clear indication as to which is the top. I had to install, uninstall, and re-install the brackets a few times before I got it hung properly. Maybe I am just a moron, but better instructions would have helped. I went with Whoosh because you use all the OEM hoses and clamps. This keeps ou STH legal, but seriously, who would protest non-OEM hose clamps?!?!?

Suspension: The most notable change is the massive Eibach front bar. After 4 years of NE salt and crud, removing the front subframe was a bitch. Some of the bolts thread into capture nuts and they popped out. That means cutting holes in the bodywork to access them, UGH. The front bar definitely reduces body roll and keeps the tires planted, but the ride is stiffer and it imparts a lot of squeaks and groans. Without the LSD, I would not recommend doing this. I bent the OEM sway bar links, forcing me to upgrade to the Whitelines. I am not sure if they should be run fully extended or fully compressed...do you go longer than stock when lowering or shorter than stock? Longer seemed to bang around a lot, shorter was quieter, so that's where they are now. Advice would be helpful!

Lowering also helped the body roll, but the Swift springs will cause a lot of rubbing even with a 205/50-16 or 205/45-17. I was able to secure loose plastic and felt within the wheel wells to remove some rubbing and trim some spots for added clearance. As of now, there are two spots up front that will scrape at full compression. They are metal parts that can't be removed, so I may look at longer bump stops. Had I not already had the Konis, I would have gone for coil-overs which would allow me to fine-tune ride height. That's on the upgrade list.

One thing to note on the camber, you cannot bring the wheels back to 0deg camber after an event to save your street tires. The design of the front suspension means that doing this will add a lot of toe-out. Tires never last me long anyway, so I am OK with it.

Brakes: I have spoken with plenty of national-level autocrossers who say that the OEM pads for the 2014 Fiesta ST are just fine. Apparently, later years had two pad options and only one is the one you want for autocrossing. I have tried track pads, but they have too much bite and you will lock the front end with no modulation. They also throw a shit ton of dust. I like the Hawk 5.0s: good modulation, decent bite, but I am hearing good things about other pads and may try another brand, or go back to OEM. I feel that the brakes on the Fiesta are not great overall however, the pedal always feels like its going to the floor even with good fluid, braided lines, and recent bleeding.

Interior: One other addition was a set of Schroth Quick-Fit seat belts. They were easy to install and a great addition for non-Recaro cars like mine. They hold you in place and let you concentrate on driving. I know all about "real" 5-point belts, believe me, I have hung upside-down from a set in a race car before. These are not suitable for a caged race car, but for autocrossing, they are way better than stock.

I have also tested the interior lighting. I have found that with red lighting on, the car loses about 3 hp, and with the blue, it gains about 2.5 hp. Yellow and White have no effect on hp, but both raise RPM by 500.

58578422_10119147997626154_1154210742119956480_o.jpg

Hi Pinchvalve,
I'm running a similar setup in STH as well. I'm kinda of kicking myself for going with the Rivals because up here in AK, we generally have short courses in sometimes chilly temps- the tires haven't gotten much heat in them.

As for the endlinks, I'm pretty sure they should be adjusted to have no load when the suspension is loaded- I eyeballed it, and haven't found the time to get the front hub supported with the wheel off to do the adjustments. I have camber bolts, but haven't installed them because my tires are just barely rubbing on the shock body as-is. Beyond that, I don't have any rub issues with 225/45R15s

I'm in love with the Quaife- it doesn't help as much in the snow as I had hoped, but I can get on the power a lot sooner than I could before, and the e-diff isn't cooking my front brakes anymore.

I haven't had any issues with the brakes, except they have what I think is an overly sensitive pedal and bad pedal layout in general.

It's good to see someone else take the plunge!
Cheers,
Paul

Attachments

I decided to start a thread about my experiences in going to the STH class. The primary reason I did this was that I wanted to modify the car after keeping it HS legal for 4 years. I like to modify cars and who doesn't want more power and better handling? I realize that I won't be nationally competitive in STH, but my talent behind the wheel is a bigger handicap than anything else and I only run locally anyway, so who cares. Hopefully I can share some advice and maybe get help sorting things out.

As for the build, the car already ran Koni Yellows and an Eibach rear sway bar for suspension. I kept those and added the Eibach front bar, lower camber bolts up front, camber plates out back, and I slotted the front towers 4mm to get me -.2 deg camber all around. I lowered it with Swift springs, Whiteline sway bar end links, and I secured or trimmed out some of the wheel liner material for clearance. I run Hawk 5.0 pads front and rear on PowerSlot/OEM rotors, but upgraded to braided stainless steel brake lines and flushed it with Motul synthetic brake fluid.

For better traction, I had the Quaife LSD from Mountune installed. I kept my HS wheels, Enkei RFP1s, but switched to 205/50-16 Bridgestone RE71s from my BFGs. On the engine side, I upgraded to a Whoosh front-mount intercooler (FMIC), added a Cobb cold air intake (CAI), and installed a custom tune from Stratified through a Cobb Accessport.

Wheels/Tires: I got the Bridgestones really cheap, so while I don't particularly like the taller 50-series or the narrower 205, I saved money for entry fees. I find the tire fits my driving style better than the Rival S. If you are full of finesse and grace you may have a different experience, but if you drive like an angry gorilla like me, you might find the RE71s to be more forgiving. Around here (Pittsburgh) doing well while still cold and wet is often an advantage and the Bridgestones seem to have an edge there. I am WAY under the maximum 265 width allowed in the class, and while I won't be hitting that size, I would like to go wider at some point. This means custom 15" wheels with 40-series tires, we shall see.

LSD: The jury is still out on the LSD. It cost $1000 plus $2000 to install, which is pretty steep. I was hoping for a night and day difference, but can't say that I am blown away. The car pulls well out of corners, but can still spin a tire. If you pull the #1 fuse to disable traction management, you will spin tires like crazy, so I am not sure exactly what the LSD is doing up there. I would recommend doing this after everything else to see if you really need it. Maybe $3k in wheels/tires would be a better investment?

Engine: I ran the OTS Cobb tune for a while before I went to the Stratified tune. Both are a worthwhile improvement over stock, well worth the money. I went with Stratified because of good reviews and good customer service. They also adjusted the tune for the FMIC and intake. Power is good, torque is good, I can generally leave it in 2nd and send it. I think that sending them data logs and refining the tune would also be worth it, but I am going to dyno the car first and see what gains I made. If I think there is more to go, then I will do a full custom tune. OH, and don't forget to switch to the go-fast tune when you get to an event!

The Cobb intake was easy to install and doesn't hurt performance or sound, I am sure it is helping to make some more power. The Whoosh FMIC was harder to install, mostly because there is no clear indication as to which is the top. I had to install, uninstall, and re-install the brackets a few times before I got it hung properly. Maybe I am just a moron, but better instructions would have helped. I went with Whoosh because you use all the OEM hoses and clamps. This keeps ou STH legal, but seriously, who would protest non-OEM hose clamps?!?!?

Suspension: The most notable change is the massive Eibach front bar. After 4 years of NE salt and crud, removing the front subframe was a bitch. Some of the bolts thread into capture nuts and they popped out. That means cutting holes in the bodywork to access them, UGH. The front bar definitely reduces body roll and keeps the tires planted, but the ride is stiffer and it imparts a lot of squeaks and groans. Without the LSD, I would not recommend doing this. I bent the OEM sway bar links, forcing me to upgrade to the Whitelines. I am not sure if they should be run fully extended or fully compressed...do you go longer than stock when lowering or shorter than stock? Longer seemed to bang around a lot, shorter was quieter, so that's where they are now. Advice would be helpful!

Lowering also helped the body roll, but the Swift springs will cause a lot of rubbing even with a 205/50-16 or 205/45-17. I was able to secure loose plastic and felt within the wheel wells to remove some rubbing and trim some spots for added clearance. As of now, there are two spots up front that will scrape at full compression. They are metal parts that can't be removed, so I may look at longer bump stops. Had I not already had the Konis, I would have gone for coil-overs which would allow me to fine-tune ride height. That's on the upgrade list.

One thing to note on the camber, you cannot bring the wheels back to 0deg camber after an event to save your street tires. The design of the front suspension means that doing this will add a lot of toe-out. Tires never last me long anyway, so I am OK with it.

Brakes: I have spoken with plenty of national-level autocrossers who say that the OEM pads for the 2014 Fiesta ST are just fine. Apparently, later years had two pad options and only one is the one you want for autocrossing. I have tried track pads, but they have too much bite and you will lock the front end with no modulation. They also throw a shit ton of dust. I like the Hawk 5.0s: good modulation, decent bite, but I am hearing good things about other pads and may try another brand, or go back to OEM. I feel that the brakes on the Fiesta are not great overall however, the pedal always feels like its going to the floor even with good fluid, braided lines, and recent bleeding.

Interior: One other addition was a set of Schroth Quick-Fit seat belts. They were easy to install and a great addition for non-Recaro cars like mine. They hold you in place and let you concentrate on driving. I know all about "real" 5-point belts, believe me, I have hung upside-down from a set in a race car before. These are not suitable for a caged race car, but for autocrossing, they are way better than stock.

I have also tested the interior lighting. I have found that with red lighting on, the car loses about 3 hp, and with the blue, it gains about 2.5 hp. Yellow and White have no effect on hp, but both raise RPM by 500.

View attachment 22044
Awesome to see that more people are running their FiST's in STH! You mentioned rear camber plates? How'd you go about getting those?

OP
pinchvalve
Thread Starter #4
I got my camber plates from the UK. (https://www.c1-r.co.uk/product/dna-racing-negative-camber-plates-kit/ ) One thing to point out is that you DO NOT have to loosen the large nut in the center of the rear hub. I was stupid and saw a big nut and fell back on years of spindles on cars and took the nut off. No big deal, except I didn't torque it down enough and it got loose. The nut simply holds a big metal rod in place that the ABS sensor reads. When loose, it continues to spin even at 3mph, kicking in ABS all the time. I had to autocross with either all ABS all the time or pull the fuse and have no ABS and no TCM at all.

You have to remove the rear hub again to tighten it up because the backing plate blocks the star-bolt hole on the back. Live and learn, at least I can pull the rear hub in 3 minutes in a Wal Mart Parking lot now!

OP
pinchvalve
Thread Starter #5
Another interesting note, I compete against two HS fiestas locally. I would consider both drivers national-level talented. The mods moved me from a full second behind them, to less than 1/2 second behind, and even beating them on occasion! I think running on the same sized tires limits how much improvement more power can make, but the point is that mods won't shave as much time as skill behind the wheel unless you are already a great driver. I took the Evo School and the Starting Line School and they did more to move me from the back of the back to the podium than any mod. Remember that the next time you have money burning a hole in your pocket! (or iPhone or Venmo or whatever cryptocurrency you kids use these days...)

Excited to see another STH build!

I just went to my first AutoX and since I have a tune I was already STH. I have plans for a few more mods, but been itching to spend TOO much $$$ thinking it would make me faster. This is a great reference point and encouraging to hear.

...the point is that mods won't shave as much time as skill behind the wheel unless you are already a great driver.

Erick_V

Another interesting note, I compete against two HS fiestas locally. I would consider both drivers national-level talented. The mods moved me from a full second behind them, to less than 1/2 second behind, and even beating them on occasion! I think running on the same sized tires limits how much improvement more power can make, but the point is that mods won't shave as much time as skill behind the wheel unless you are already a great driver. I took the Evo School and the Starting Line School and they did more to move me from the back of the back to the podium than any mod. Remember that the next time you have money burning a hole in your pocket! (or iPhone or Venmo or whatever cryptocurrency you kids use these days...)
Running in Street Mod myself. There's someone driving an HS FiST in my reigon and she's usually ~1 second behind me. Even with bolt-ons, E85 and 27psi she's always right behind me lol. She's really good at autocross compared to me who goes balls to the wall just for the fun of it. Driver mod goes a long way

I see you're in SATX! I know exactly who you're talking about ;). She seems super quick. I was at the last event, but didn't see another FIST outside of HS. Hope to meet you soon! You on the ATX ST/RS group by any chance?

Running in Street Mod myself. There's someone driving an HS FiST in my reigon and she's usually ~1 second behind me. Even with bolt-ons, E85 and 27psi she's always right behind me lol. She's really good at autocross compared to me who goes balls to the wall just for the fun of it. Driver mod goes a long way

Erick_V

I see you're in SATX! I know exactly who you're talking about ;). She seems super quick. I was at the last event, but didn't see another FIST outside of HS. Hope to meet you soon! You on the ATX ST/RS group by any chance?
Iā€™m not with any groups. I may be going to the Sasca event next weekend though

OP
pinchvalve
Thread Starter #12
At my last event, my buddy and one of the really fast HS Fiesta drivers told me that this was a course layout where I might be able to beat him on raw time. OK, no pressure then. I was doing OK and was bringing my times down, until he rode with me and gave me some pointers on my line, positioning, etc. I then shaved just over 1 second off my best time. I wound up raw-timing him by .040. We are on the same width tires which is an equalizing factor to a degree, but it goes to show what talent and practice can do for you. He's headed to nationals and I am rooting for him big time!

After riding along with people in "slower" cars, this became very apparent to me as well!

At my last event, my buddy and one of the really fast HS Fiesta drivers told me that this was a course layout where I might be able to beat him on raw time. OK, no pressure then. I was doing OK and was bringing my times down, until he rode with me and gave me some pointers on my line, positioning, etc. I then shaved just over 1 second off my best time. I wound up raw-timing him by .040. We are on the same width tires which is an equalizing factor to a degree, but it goes to show what talent and practice can do for you. He's headed to nationals and I am rooting for him big time!

@pinchvalve: I'm making plans for next season and was curious if you would recommend the rear camber plates. I'm currently on stock suspension (wanting to get coils in the next year or so), but have camber bolts maxed out up front at 2.5Ā°. Do you feel like the added rear camber decreased the ability to rotate? And do you notice if it's worth any added cornering grip?

I plan on forgoing stiffer front and rear way by just getting stiffer coils to minimize roll, but obviously could add a bit more bar in the rear if needed to compensate for the rear camber.

OP
pinchvalve
Thread Starter #15
The rear camber plates arenā€™t expensive or difficult to install, And more camber is always good for AutoCrossing. Running a relatively narrow tire you want to keep as much of the contact patch on the road as possible.

Itā€™s hard for me to say how much impact theyā€™ve had because I made a lot of other changes at the same time. I can say I get better heat distribution across the rear tires. Rear camber wonā€™t help rotation much, Id throw a rear bar on first. Itā€™s a five minute job and really makes a difference Itā€™s a five minute job and really makes a difference.

OP
pinchvalve
Thread Starter #16
2020 Update: This year I took a step back from autocrossing and didn't do every single event that I could. I did play with the suspension however, moving to Silver's NeoMax coil-overs. Many reasons, but the bottom line is that at their price point, there is little difference between manufacturers. They are better than sketchy made-in-China ebay kits, and not as good as $7000 sets, so get a kit that you like. I bought the Silvers because they had adjustable top mounts. Turns out, they don't have those, the ad was wrong. But they were cool about it and the rears adjust on the bottom of the strut so no cutting up the interior.

Coil-overs allowed me to try a 225/50 tire. That is too much sidewall, but I wanted as much contact patch as possible. Bottom line: the car had to be raised to fit these huge meats, and response was terrible. Yuck, I sold them. Then I went the other way, to a 215/40 and the smaller diameter killed me on longer tracks. 1st was useless and I had to go to 3rd too often. So I settled on a 205/45 and was happy. A 215/45 is also good, depending on what tires you like. I use RE71s so is a 205.

My friend built a monster STH WRX and I suddenly had no chance of winning if he was running. (Better car, better driver) BUT, chasing him made me faster, a lot faster. I even beat him at one event! I also ran a regional event (Toledo) in STH. My car was an underdog compared to the other cars there, but it was cool to see how good the big dogs are. The big thing that I learned was that a 75+ second course is hard to remember! I was very unprepared on the first day and was 5.5 seconds off the leader! My co-driver was kind enough to adjust my coil-over set up so that it worked better and gave more rotation. For day 2, I memorized the entire course and ran it mentally a hundred times. This allowed me to improve and was only 4.8 seconds off the leader LOL. I even beat 2 other cars. I don't mind losing to drivers with Nationals Jackets in cars that have more in mods than I have in the car. I had a blast and learned a lot.

For 2021, I will probably avoid mods to focus on other things and just run for fun. If I keep the car, the next step will be to get more rubber under her. Flares anyone?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I totally get what you mean. When I was a kid, I was all about dirt bikes. There was an older kid who lived on my block, and he was the state motocross champion on 125s, and later, 250s. Chasing him through the trails made me do things I didn't know I could do on a motorcycle.

Whether it's motocross, chess, or ping pong, playing with people who are better than you is what ups your game. (y)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I totally get what you mean. When I was a kid, I was all about dirt bikes. There was an older kid who lived on my block, and he was the state motocross champion on 125s, and later, 250s. Chasing him through the trails made me do things I didn't know I could do on a motorcycle.

Whether it's motocross, chess, or ping pong, playing with people who are better than you is what ups your game. (y)
But playing with Horrible people is absolutely awesome....it makes you feel like a god!

Reviving this a tad. or a lot. Did you cut your bump stops when using the swift springs?

View attachment 22044
f