Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Projects Need Help Understanding

antarctica24

So while I am not completely new to this forum, I find the projects sections to be one of the best sections in the forum. If nothing else it is like a catalog of what is available for our cars.

With that said, When you install a set of brakes, or suspension modifications the improvement is kind of obvious. Stopping quicker, turning corners tighter, reducing body role, etc.

If you are installing body parts like wide body kits, wheels, wings, etc, its is an aesthetics thing.

But when you are installing things like turbos, Cobb kits, intercoolers, exhaust...things that could be making or hurting the performance of a vehicle, why are most of the people on this list making these kinds of modifications without dyno testing the car before and after the upgrades? You went to all the trouble to buy all of this stuff to improve the performance of your car, and quite frankly seat of the pants doesn't count because seat of the pants is subjective at best.

Beyond the obvious things like a bigger turbo, ok pretty safe to say that that probably generated more power. But things like the Cobb Stage 3 setup, while Cobb a very respected aftermarket manufacturer can state whatever they want to about a product, that would be like Ford saying the HP on our car was 250 without Road and Track, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Automobile doing any testing to give us out of the lap real results.

If you are going to spend $3000.00 to upgrade the performance of your vehicle, spend another $100.00 and to a dyno before and after to see what your car does with the performance modifications you did and share with the group.

Most people start with an Accessport and that gives them the ability to do virtual dyno runs on a flat surface which are pretty accurate if you know your weight. It is enough to give good before and after results.

If you look a little, most of the engine upgrades have before and after virtual dyno results, real dyno results or 1/4 mile times.

After driving the Cobb stage 1 tune that comes with the Accessport, I was pleased but the cost and results of stage 2 and 3 were not appealing to me, that low-low RPM torque just destroys tires so I decided to save up for a big turbo which will help extend the top end of the power band. I should be ready to install my DHM Quickspool kit in a few weeks. I don't see a need for before testing, I will be doing a bunch of tuning runs which should tell me all I need to know about the after.