Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Proof premium fuel is better.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I was reading the July edition of car and driver they did a little article on testing premium fuel. Now the BMW that they tested they used 91 against 93 since 91 was the minimum. All of the other examples are 87 VS 93.
If you notice the biggest difference was in the F-150 with the 3.5 twin-turbo v6.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

That title is misleading. C&D concluded that, in real world conditions, it's usually better to use the required fuel rather than something with higher octane.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah, if your car isn't a performance car, you won't notice any difference. If it is, you will.
There's even a difference between 91 and 93, according to mountune.

1566167961904.png

The more octane a fuel has the harder it is to combust. This means timing can be advanced closer to TDC thus making more power on the power stroke. 🌈🌈🌈

Last edited:
Yeah this isn't really a case of the gas being better, it's just that the vehicle's computer can run more aggressive timing and "tune" overall to utilize the higher octane fuel.
The FiST? I run 93 all day long as it can utilize the higher octane fuel. My '99 4runner however, gets 87. No matter how many tanks of 93 I've run back to back I've never been able to "feel" a difference nor see a difference in the fuel economy in the 4runner. I say just run whatever your manual calls for and call it good (in the case of aftermarket tuning, run the highest octane you can find)

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
That title is misleading. C&D concluded that, in real world conditions, it's usually better to use the required fuel rather than something with higher octane.
It took 1.8sec of the 0-100 time. So not sure what you are saying? I hope you don't put 87 in.
You do want to go fast right? More power is good.

Last edited:
OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Yeah this isn't really a case of the gas being better, it's just that the vehicle's computer can run more aggressive timing and "tune" overall to utilize the higher octane fuel.
The FiST? I run 93 all day long as it can utilize the higher octane fuel. My '99 4runner however, gets 87. No matter how many tanks of 93 I've run back to back I've never been able to "feel" a difference nor see a difference in the fuel economy in the 4runner. I say just run whatever your manual calls for and call it good (in the case of aftermarket tuning, run the highest octane you can find)
Just remember owner's manuals sometimes call for multiple fuel grades.

It took 1.8sec of the 0-100 time. So not sure what you are saying? I hope you don't put 87 in.
You do want to go fast right? More power is good.

Read the article. It's not what I'm writing - it's what C&D wrote. Their conclusion is hardly 'proof that premium is better.'

I have no problem running regular.

DEss

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Read the article. It's not what I'm writing - it's what C&D wrote. Their conclusion is hardly 'proof that premium is better.'

I have no problem running regular.

DEss
I did read it and in my opinion premium fuel is better for performance.
Was it beneficial in the Honda CRV nope. Was it beneficial in the F-150 heck yeah. Do you realize the amount of money people spend to drop 0 to 60 by half a second.
Regular gas in a Fiesta ST yuck. You don't even get the advertised power with 87.

OP
Ford ST

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
"You can think of this EcoBoost engine's more aggressive high octane tune as a sort of sport mode that can be switched on or off with every fill of its 36.0 gallon tank."

What do we drive a ecoboost engine tuned for 93 from the factory. 93 is the recommended fuel 87 is the minimum requirement.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
A stock FiST can run 87, no problem. Since premium is considerably more expensive, you'll save money running regular. It makes sense if you just use it for daily driving. It makes enough power for that, no problem.
You won't miss 10 hp if you're puttin' through town or doing the stop and go during rush hour. BTDT.

Premium fuels do deliver more power in the FiST, and have some ancillary benefits for people willing to spend a lot more per gallon.

I have a tune, so I use 93. If I didn't, I might save around a buck a gallon for 90% of the driving I do.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uIsbRaArvk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WPfLnVuQyM

Last edited:
I bought this car to go go go. Yes you can run 87 and you can put Ling Longs on it too. There are ways to make this car more fun. The aforementioned suggestions aren’t. 🌈🌈🌈

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My MP215 HATES 87, floor it and it sends you a message......it say "really"? Mountune say 93 if you want the extra power you purchased. I get 32 in town and 37 and better on the interstate on non-ethanol. The article simply confirms what many of use knew already. It also likes non-ethanol better as to MPG, 2 mpg minimum better than corn licker. I did not buy an ST and add the MP215 to run 87! Feels like a 1 second delay in throttle response and a distinct loss of power. Had to buy it once in U.P. Michigan on a trip.Fifi didn't talk to me for a week for feeding her that trash!

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I'm lucky I guess. 4 miles from costco 93 octane and today it was $2.55 when I filled up the tiny tank. I don't plan to run anything else.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk