Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PSA: Issues fitting Delphi replacement control arms

So I had installed new factory control arms this year with poly bushes in them, and realized that I'm not quite THAT hardcore yet. The benefits (if any) were hard to see on our shorty, really bumpy autocross courses, and the NVH weren't that fun on the street. I'll be selling them for a song shortly.
To replace the hardcore set, I ordered a pair of new Delphi control arms, part numbers DE TC2184 and DE TC2185 from Rock Auto. Parts showed up quickly (for AK), and they were going to go on today, but the bolts wouldn't fit through the holes in the forward bushings. I think Rock Auto may have thought they'd work for our cars? Not sure, but I thought I'd give everyone a heads up.

Attachments

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Even if they did work the bushings in them may not be the best for our application. OEM manufacturers put a lot of time into bushings when designing suspension and steering systems. In my opinion OEM control arms only.

I will give you or anyone reading this a tip. If you click on the part number on RockAuto it will show you all of the applications. I do this for everything you will quickly realize how a lot of aftermarket parts cover a much wider range than OEM parts.

Example below.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
The Fiesta and Mazda 2 are built from the same B3 platform. Some of the suspension/chassis components are VERY similar, if not the same.

And yes, I completely agree OEM all the way on a component like this.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The Fiesta and Mazda 2 are built from the same B3 platform. Some of the suspension/chassis components are VERY similar, if not the same.

And yes, I completely agree OEM all the way on a component like this.
Absolutely agree on the Mazda 2. I believe what the problem is, the ST is unique and does not use the same components as the regular Fiesta. Could just be a different bushing but not the same.

OP
Pablo Pistoffo
Thread Starter #5
Absolutely agree on the Mazda 2. I believe what the problem is, the ST is unique and does not use the same components as the regular Fiesta. Could just be a different bushing but not the same.

Yeah, I know we have a different subframe, so maybe it is strengthened along with the bolts and different bushings?
I should have done some more detective work before buying.

So I had installed new factory control arms this year with poly bushes in them, and realized that I'm not quite THAT hardcore yet. The benefits (if any) were hard to see on our shorty, really bumpy autocross courses, and the NVH weren't that fun on the street. I'll be selling them for a song shortly.
To replace the hardcore set, I ordered a pair of new Delphi control arms, part numbers DE TC2184 and DE TC2185 from Rock Auto. Parts showed up quickly (for AK), and they were going to go on today, but the bolts wouldn't fit through the holes in the forward bushings. I think Rock Auto may have thought they'd work for our cars? Not sure, but I thought I'd give everyone a heads up.
Same thing happened to me. I was just trying to save some money. I ended up putting powerflex bushings in an aftermarket set.

It may fit with a little more wrestling in. I had the same issue trying to fit an aftermarket lca into a ford escape. I tried to do it without disconnecting the strut from the knuckle, but after I did that, the lca went in. In my experience, Rockauto is very accurate with their parts database regarding fitment and I've never had any issues with parts not fitting. Their return/refund policy is excellent too; I recently ordered some rear pads that didn't come with shims, and I initiated a return/exchange claim and I was given a refund instantly no questions asked, no pictures needed. Granted, I've been purchasing from Rock auto for over 10 years now.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Trying to understand what stiffer/adjustable away bar end links would get you as a driver? Is it really noticeable?

Lays

Push out the bushing from your OEM and press it into your new ones.

I had to do the same on a MOOG replacement the other day.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You do realize that defeats the purpose of a new control arm?

Lays

You do realize that defeats the purpose of a new control arm?

My OEM bushing was in perfect shape, so I just used that.

The only thing that had failed was the balljoint boot. Wasn't sure if OP was in same situation.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
My OEM bushing was in perfect shape, so I just used that.

The only thing that had failed was the balljoint boot. Wasn't sure if OP was in same situation.
To each their own. Normally the number one reason why one replaces a control arm is because of bushings.

the bolts wouldn't fit through the holes in the forward bushings. I think Rock Auto may have thought they'd work for our cars? Not sure, but I thought I'd give everyone a heads up.
I recall a thread or video of a similar situation I think it was the Hardrace arms. Solution in that case was to drill out the center sleeve in the bushing to fit the ST bolts.

Beegee

Ahh same here. I had an inner cv axle boot rip and i ordered a replacement cv, figured while im down there i might as well replace the control arm (slightly banged up due to a previous wreck). Got to pushing the bolt through and welp the bolt was too big or hole was too small (thats what she said). Ended up drilling out the hole. Pain in the ass but seems to be fine as the metal sleeve in the bushing is designed to be tensioned between the mount with the bolt. I also squeezed some silicone gasket maker in the sleeve to avoid any anoying rattling noises that may occur later on, Probably unnecessary but seemed like a good idea.