Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PSA: What that weird funnel in your spare tire kit is for: DON'T LOSE THAT THING!!!

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
This weekend I had the unfortunate experience of running out of gas on Angeles Crest Highway (I stopped at Newcombs rather than get stuck somewhere scary with no cell reception and no way to call for help) - anyways, I'd gotten a gas can, and tried to put it in the tank - and to my horror I suddenly had a good couple ounces of gas all over the ground. EXCELLENT! The little door for your fuel will not open for anything but a gas nozzle, and so you need to open your trunk, pull out your spare, and locate that stupid white funnel hidden in your trunk.

Using this ackward piece of crap, you can then put gas into your damn car and continue on your merry way.

But my point is this.

DO NOT LOSE THAT STUPID FUNNEL OR YOU WILL BE VERY SORRY YOU DID

I cant get the little silver flap open with the funnel. It almost as if it's locked. Even tried opening it with a screw driver.

XuperXero

I cant get the little silver flap open with the funnel. It almost as if it's locked. Even tried opening it with a screw driver.
You have to push in pretty hard... Those springs are stiff as f...

Make sure the car is unlocked. I'm pretty sure if the car is locked that flap locks to prevent any unwanted tampering.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
No gais,

I'm telling you that friggin door will not open without that goddamn funnel. It's like a lock and key. I couldn't get that f---er open for anything and then when I tried the funnel it popped right in.
WHAT THE F---.

It was especially obnoxious to get because I had been camping and so I had to unpack the entire contents of my trunk and my underfloor storage area

There's two little tabs 180 degrees apart on the left and right side that have to be pressed for the flap to unlatch. You can do it by pushing the fuel can nozzle on one side and using a flathead on the other if you really want to, but it's not like grabbing the funnel is a big deal once you know it's there. I can't remember for sure, but isn't there a picture inside the door that tells you about the funnel and its location?

If you guys keep jabbing things into your filler neck you're gonna turn your check engine lights on.....

If you guys keep jabbing things into your filler neck you're gonna turn your check engine lights on.....
How so? @Jariten, yes you are right , it must be those two little tabs. but THEN, there is a 2nd flap that the funnel doesnt reach that also need to be opened. I found I had to push it open using a long screwdriver, else the fuel will just apill.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
There's two little tabs 180 degrees apart on the left and right side that have to be pressed for the flap to unlatch. You can do it by pushing the fuel can nozzle on one side and using a flathead on the other if you really want to, but it's not like grabbing the funnel is a big deal once you know it's there. I can't remember for sure, but isn't there a picture inside the door that tells you about the funnel and its location?
The picture was how I found the funnel.
You tell me you want to dig that out from under your spare whilst your trunk is full of supplies and I'll believe it's easy to get at.

Yes, it's great they tell you where it is, but I'm telling you having run across it previously and wondered wtf it could be for, and am reminding you to not throw it away lol

Because that's what seals your EVAP system, and there's a seal around that flap. It's fine if opened with a proper filler, or the funnel, but screwdrivers and stuff cut the seal and will trip a P0456 usually.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Having had other cars with this I was already aware. I left the OEM funnel with the jack/spare hardware and bought an extra one at Walmart for $1.50, it's marked as "capless fuel funnel". That way I don't have to worry about losing the OEM one and can use the extra one when I fill from a container. It stays in one of the side cubbies for convenience, beats having to remove the spare to get to one.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
I was wondering if anyone else saw that as well.

Thanks for the heads up though, as I also wondered what the heck it was for.
I was wondering what the hell you were on about and then "she-pee".
ew.