Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PumaSpeed Turbo Whistle - Troubleshooting

So my first question is if anyone has attempted to replace the upgraded metal intake elbow with the stock plastic one? I may attempt this myself soon but I worry it will be a lengthy pain in the butt. (especially since I was super smart and put a tiny amount of liquid gasket on the joint to the turbo since there is no real gasket/oring on the interface)
Did you ever try installing the OEM intake elbow? I'm curious to know if changing out the elbow makes any difference.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #23
My laziness is profound. I have not replaced it.

My laziness is profound. I have not replaced it.
Well thanks for the update.

i don't really think it would help anyways. Seems like the leading theory is that the sound is produced by the shape of the blades on the compressor wheel.

So what is your intake setup currently and how are you feeling about the sound now that it's been a couple years?

I hate the sound. I had an Injen SRI and moved back to the stock intake which does indeed help a lot, quieting it by about 80-90%, just enough for me not to have to swap out this turbo for an S280

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #25
Currently using a CP-E intake. Putting a felt like material around the outside of the box helps a bit. During winter, I put a big rubber plug in the lower cold-air intake pipe. Both reduce the noise about 50%. I hate the sound still, but I try to ignore it. I also have subconsciously changed my driving style to either keep the boost above or below the magic psi / flow rate that the noise is made.

I learned the hard way not to put felt on the inside of the airbox without copious amounts of glue. The material got sucked up against the filter and pretty much choked off all air flow. Didn't help the noise at all anyways.

I had an email out to pumaspeed a while back about their updated inlet adapter and they told me it would make no difference to the noise.

1620690462195.png

haste

1000 Post Club
Did you ever try installing the OEM intake elbow? I'm curious to know if changing out the elbow makes any difference.
Don't do it. You WILL lose power. The stock plastic intake elbow affects power on my lowly X37. I can only imagine how much it would affect this turbo.

I was one of the first ones to get the X37 from Adam. He was trying to figure out why my boost pressure dropped so dramatically at the higher RPMs and it was the stock intake elbow. We started tuning the car before he was able to send me the upgraded elbow. Night and day difference between the elbows.