Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PumaSpeed Variable Volume Intake Manifold

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I'm guessing a hybrid short runner/long runner set up. Short for quick spool, long for high rpm horsepower[readthis]

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #5
Variable Intake Manifolds & Intake Tuning Explained (Video)

Published on Sep 7, 2016

How To Tune Intakes For More Horsepower

"Intake manifold tuning is critical for ensuring optimum horsepower across a wide rev range. Longer, narrower intake runners lend themselves well to low RPM power. Shorter, wider intake runners tend to optimize horsepower at a higher RPM. Why not both, you ask? Variable intake manifolds allow for the best of both worlds..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYIHQGU00k

[video=youtube;FaYIHQGU00k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYIHQGU00k[/video]

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Published on Sep 7, 2016

How To Tune Intakes For More Horsepower

"Intake manifold tuning is critical for ensuring optimum horsepower across a wide rev range. Longer, narrower intake runners lend themselves well to low RPM power. Shorter, wider intake runners tend to optimize horsepower at a higher RPM. Why not both, you ask? Variable intake manifolds allow for the best of both worlds..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYIHQGU00k

[video=youtube;FaYIHQGU00k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYIHQGU00k[/video]
Basically, I'm wondering where they're going to fit a butterfly valve.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Variable volume??. I would guess a change in plenum volume and bell mouthing of the intake runners by the look of it. Should flow better but it looks expensive, lots CNC work there.

Rhinopolis

What's that "adapter" used for that is snugged in to the bung below the manifold on the 1st picture?

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Variable volume??. I would guess a change in plenum volume and bell mouthing of the intake runners by the look of it. Should flow better but it looks expensive, lots CNC work there.
It's Pumaspeed. You know it's bound to be good quality & expensive. Now just because it's good quality construction doesn't mean it makes power. (See Pumaspeed quickspool exhaust manifold)

Interesting. maybe ceramic coat one of those to keep intake charge down further or with ports for meth and you may have something here.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Interesting. maybe ceramic coat one of those to keep intake charge down further or with ports for meth and you may have something here.
Agreed - let's hope that they offer a separate port into each set of runners, or at least one runner for each cylinder, so that we can inject meth/water or aux. fuel and know that it's being distributed evenly without having to use an intake spacer and use up space that we don't have.

Of its not ported for some sort of injection already, at least it's metal and can be tapped or a bung welded on pretty easy.

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
In for info :)

Looks cool.

Gonna have to be pretty good to off set the draw backs of going to metal over plastic.

You can tap the plastic manifold for meth ports btw. Other platforms do it pretty often. Epoxy style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
What else besides a little more heat soak and slightly more weight? [dunno]
"Little more heat soak" doesn't come close to describing difference in temps you'd see.

And the intake wouldn't just get hot in traffic and cool off like an intercooler. It would get hot and stay hot.

Weight wouldn't bother me too much.

Not hating, just staying plastic intakes are pretty epic.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I agree (on the thermoplastic composites being the way to go for an intake manifold), but I guess I did not realize just how bad the heat soak of an alloy intake manifold would be in our application.

Why is this not the case for charge pipes (especially the hot side one), simply because they are not in constant, direct contact with the engine head/block?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The hot side one deal with 300 degree charge temps. It being alum, thin, and not touching the cylinder head/block mean that it can actually cool the air passing threw it ( to a fractional degree anyway ) while the warmer intake would be hearing cool air odiously :)