Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pure Junk....absolutely pure Trash

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Honestly this person has NEVER driven a manual in their life. Not an enthusiast....and most likely will never be one either. Nice article Torstein....who names there child that? Someone possibly who went to way to many Rammstein concerts without hearing gear and stood too close to the speakers.

https://www.thethings.com/reasons-manual-transmission-is-going-away/

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

pixelzombie

I had to laugh at #13. The clutch was never replaced in any of my vehicles that were manual. My first car was a '77 Firebird with an automatic and guess which part nerded service first, the transmission.

Nice article Torstein....who names there child that?
1) Actually, its a Scandinavian name. The name is similar to Torsten or Tor for short. Another derivative is Thor. It evolved into an old English name Thurston, eventually. Dustin.

2) Old geezer here, driving in California traffic jams/parking lots. No problemo.

3) He has interesting points but all you need to do with these new cars is point it and step on the gas.

4) Consider the source: thethings.com is all about pop culture

Last edited:
Honestly this person has NEVER driven a manual in their life. Not an enthusiast....and most likely will never be one either. Nice article Torstein....who names there child that? Someone possibly who went to way to many Rammstein concerts without hearing gear and stood too close to the speakers.

https://www.thethings.com/reasons-manual-transmission-is-going-away/

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Why are you reading this garbage? A list? What is this, 2008?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SrsBsns

Yeah, there are some things in that article that I get. New autos are faster... that's fine.

But just like when I bought my CBR1000RR... I bought it knowing that there was no point. If commuting and efficiency is the only goal, I could get by on a 250 scooter. But a 1000cc, 200hp, 430lb bike is INSANE and that's what I loved about it.

Driving stick isn't about having the best 0-60 time, it's about the feeling you get and the connection with the car.

People writing those articles won't ever understand that. That's why I just ignore them.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Yeah, there are some things in that article that I get. New autos are faster... that's fine.

But just like when I bought my CBR1000RR... I bought it knowing that there was no point. If commuting and efficiency is the only goal, I could get by on a 250 scooter. But a 1000cc, 200hp, 430lb bike is INSANE and that's what I loved about it.

Driving stick isn't about having the best 0-60 time, it's about the feeling you get and the connection with the car.

People writing those articles won't ever understand that. That's why I just ignore them.
Not all of us are like this guy. I wrote for Motor Trend magazine back about 13 years ago now and I got it then and get it now but that writer will never get it. Plus some of his reasons were complete b.s., like the reliability of a manual versus automatics. And what he clearly doesn't understand is the dual-clutch transmissions are considered a manual gear box albeit an automated-manual but they don't have a torque converter like an automatic transmission does. That writer is clueless.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
ONE REASON THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION IS THE G.O.A.T.

#1. When the zombie apocalypse happens and you're running from a hoard of ravenous flesh-eating brain-sucking undead ghouls, and happen up an abandoned car, and then you get in that car and prepare to escape prior-mentioned hoard, only to find out it's a manual transmission, even though the key is right there in the ignition and it has a full tank of gas, you can't figure out how to drive it, you stall the engine in first and just when you have the presence of mind to wish your name wasn't Torstein Savlesten and you hadn't written a horrible piece of prose on why you think manual transmissions suck, you turn to your left and witness a half-naked decomposed former hedge fund manager sink his rotting teeth into your skull. The end.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I hate to say it but I’ll probably have to stick to autos once I’m done having fun with the FiST.

if the veloster n comes out with an auto I might jump ship, the wear and tear on my arm is getting to be too much.

I hate to say it but I’ll probably have to stick to autos once I’m done having fun with the FiST.

if the veloster n comes out with an auto I might jump ship, the wear and tear on my arm is getting to be too much.
I always have a running list of cars I want to get, the veloster N is certainly on there as a contender to replace the FiST. If I were going automatic, the only company that produces a halfway decently programmed and calibrated slush box at a reasonable price is Mazda. Their 6 speed torque converted auto actually makes use of a clutch to lock the converter and the shift logic in sport mode will rev match down shift if you go into a turn hard on the brakes. You can find used examples of the Mazda 6 with the 2.5t engine for peanuts right now ($16-20k) and if I were going big sedan again it’d be at the top of my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
The only thing in this list that I could completely agree with is his comparison of computers to a tinder date (it's rough out there)... I'm 19 years old, been driving stick since 14. I can multitask, handle traffic and hills, and a multitude of other things just as well as I could in an automatic. It's a shame seeing these "articles" further emphasize the stigma that manuals aren't as good as automatics. Maybe if you're driving a vehicle designed without "driver enjoyment" in mind then maybe I could see the desire for an automatic, but when driving cars like the Fiesta ST, I would rather row through gears then flap a paddle any day of the week.

ROCKYFiestta

ONE REASON THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION IS THE G.O.A.T.

#1. When the zombie apocalypse happens and you're running from a hoard of ravenous flesh-eating brain-sucking undead ghouls, and happen up an abandoned car, and then you get in that car and prepare to escape prior-mentioned hoard, only to find out it's a manual transmission, even though the key is right there in the ignition and it has a full tank of gas, you can't figure out how to drive it, you stall the engine in first and just when you have the presence of mind to wish your name wasn't Torstein Savlesten and you hadn't written a horrible piece of prose on why you think manual transmissions suck, you turn to your left and witness a half-naked decomposed former hedge fund manager sink his rotting teeth into your skull. The end.
pls bury me with a clutch on my chest and 2 weighted shift knobs in my eyeballs so that i stay dead in my grave and never rise as the undead. ;)

real reason manual is going away is ppl are getting lazier by the minute.
the end...
The real reason it's going away is because... automatics are just better. I know that's going to be an unpopular opinion around here, but the only thing (imo) manuals have going is cost of manufacture/repair. When I learned to drive in the 90s it was on manuals (and I'm pretty thankful for that), but back then auto transmissions weren't nearly as amazing as they are today. Now they shift faster, have better management, can utilize a crazy number of gears, and will last a long time if properly maintained.

My FiST is the first vehicle I've driven in 20 years that is a manual - and the ONLY reason I got the stick is because they didn't make em auto.

Well my two cents worth, yes, automatic is nice in most cases, unless it is the dual clutch automatic wanna be on the Fiesta, and a few other famous issues and the verdict is still out on CVT though that tech has been around forever, and newer ones actually fake shifting so you hear and feel like something is happening for feedback.

Automatic: Heavier, usually more complicated, not as energy efficient on power usage/drag, usually.
More moving parts typically, complicated, harder to repair in most cases, most later ones are computer controlled, so more issues down the road, especially during the Zombie Apocalypse.
When working and dialed in, more consistent in a drag race all out acceleration, instant shifts compared to most manuals regardless.

Manual, considerably less complicated to a degree, less moving parts.
You can at least push start the car when the battery is dead during the Zombie apocalypse, you can decelerate better and more responsively using downshifting during the Zombie apocalypse, especially when brake pads are no longer available.

Fluids are not a critical when you need to make banana oil for transmission lubrication, most automatics won't like banana or coconut oil. Just having fun on this thread. Nothing beats a 55 Dodge Power Wagon manual without computer controls to drive over zombies consistently, so hum.

Manuals give more driver feel and response to the experience, and from racing heritage, most still feel that way, but things change, what will be the rage on Electric Cars of the future and no transmissions at all?

PhoenixM3

The real reason it's going away is because... automatics are just better. I know that's going to be an unpopular opinion around here, but the only thing (imo) manuals have going is cost of manufacture/repair. When I learned to drive in the 90s it was on manuals (and I'm pretty thankful for that), but back then auto transmissions weren't nearly as amazing as they are today. Now they shift faster, have better management, can utilize a crazy number of gears, and will last a long time if properly maintained.

My FiST is the first vehicle I've driven in 20 years that is a manual - and the ONLY reason I got the stick is because they didn't make em auto.
Better for you does not qualify as better for all.