Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Purge Valve Fix (codes P1450, p219a)

So after months of check engine lights, juttering during fill ups, and smell of gasoline, I finally got this damn issued fixed after replacing the purge valve (<1000 miles of testing). The codes that I had were P1450 and P219A.

I HIGHLY recommend getting the entire purge valve line assembly as removing and slipping the nylon lines in and out of the nipples of the purge valve is annoying/impossible. Trust me, I tried. I have a brand new purge valve just sitting on my desk now because I couldnt get the lines in.

This is the part I got:
Tube -Fuel Feed D2BZ-9C047-E
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-tube-fuel-feed-d2bz9c047e
($140ish dollars)

To the install (extremely easy <20mins. A write up is really not necessary but I'm bored so...)

1) Remove your intake, crossover pipe, and intake box. Just makes the entire process easier.
20200225_141533.jpg

2) The purge valve is located between the battery box and engine. All you need to do is unplug the power cable from the purve valve. Then, follow the lines from the valve and unclip (3 clips total. One in front of the intake manifold, one on the charge pipe, and one just behind the engine).
20200303_231137.jpg

3) Now just install the new purge valve, plug the power cable in, and reclip the lines back to their respective places. There was one slight issue where one of the clips wouldnt attach to my intake tube. All I did was swap out the green clip that didnt fit and replaced it with the old green clip.

4) Reassemble the intake.

5) IMPORTANT! DO AN OIL CHANGE RIGHT AFTER. I could smell and see fuel from when I was draining the oil during my oil change. I think it was due to my faulty purge valve. Someone can chime in as to why but yeah, do an oil change once you are done swapping out the purge valve and lines.

That's pretty much it. Juttering is gone, no CEL, and fuel smell is gone too. Now, I hope it doesnt happen again because these valves that Ford provides are trash based on how many people are having this exact issue. Anyways, yeah, feel free to add anything!

I have also suffered from the stumbling after fill ups despite doing all the tricks, like leaving the nozzle in for 30 seconds. This looks like an easy fix too. Any idea if that part will fit a 2015? It appears that Tasca only checks compatability after purchase.

HBEcoBeaST

You know what's a bummer? I did this fix as well. Fixed the stumbling after fill up for about a year. Now it's slowly coming back. I leave the gas nozzle in and it seems to help, but it still stumbles. Never stalled though and only time it happens is during idle.

Figure this issue and the blend door actuators are something we have to watch out for

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
hendrixsrv
Thread Starter #5
I have also suffered from the stumbling after fill ups despite doing all the tricks, like leaving the nozzle in for 30 seconds. This looks like an easy fix too. Any idea if that part will fit a 2015? It appears that Tasca only checks compatability after purchase.
Yup! It will fit. I have a 2015. It's a direct replacement for it. For those with 2016+ it should still work and you dont need to use that extra line for your intake anymore if you get the replacement part above.

OP
hendrixsrv
Thread Starter #6

• You know what's a bummer? I did this fix as well. Fixed the stumbling after fill up for about a year. Now it's slowly coming back. I leave the gas nozzle in and it seems to help, but it still stumbles. Never stalled though and only time it happens is during idle.

Figure this issue and the blend door actuators are something we have to watch out for

I had a feeling that would be the case after a while. If this does happen again, what Im going to do is use an Autozone or Advanced auto parts purge valve replacement and replace the lines with rubber hoses to see if that helps. The part Ford provides is trash and they wont admit it. So, the other option is to use a different brand. So, we shall see. 1000 miles in so far and it still drives fine.

Yup! It will fit. I have a 2015. It's a direct replacement for it. For those with 2016+ it should still work and you dont need to use that extra line for your intake anymore if you get the replacement part above.
Thanks! huh well if it comes back I wonder if its worth the $120 to begin with. I am pretty sure my car isnt throwing any codes yet, so maybe I will wait on this and see if it gets worse.

OP
hendrixsrv
Thread Starter #8
Thanks! huh well if it comes back I wonder if its worth the $120 to begin with. I am pretty sure my car isnt throwing any codes yet, so maybe I will wait on this and see if it gets worse.
I mean, I've been driving it for a while and it's been fine. My biggest concern was the gas smell and the fact that fuel was in my oil hence why I pulled the trigger on the lines. I say just do it and from now on, leave the nozzle in the fuel tank for a bit after filling up. I think the main issue stems from the fact that people topped off and/or took their nozzle out too soon and overtime made the problem worse. Now, that I've read the dos and don'ts, I'll be extra careful in how I fill up to prolong the life of the valve.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I found leaving the nozzle in for about 5 minutes does it for me. I tried 30 seconds and then a minute and still had stumbling.
Probably a less would do it, but I figured why not make it an even 5.
So far so good after several fill ups

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
You know what's a bummer? I did this fix as well. Fixed the stumbling after fill up for about a year. Now it's slowly coming back. I leave the gas nozzle in and it seems to help, but it still stumbles. Never stalled though and only time it happens is during idle.

Unfortunately you have to leave the nozzle in for quite a bit longer than most people recommend. I leave it in for about 5 minutes and no more stumbling.

OP
hendrixsrv
Thread Starter #11
Unfortunately you have to leave the nozzle in for quite a bit longer than most people recommend. I leave it in for about 5 minutes and no more stumbling.
Great suggestion! It's annoying to have to wait after the pump stops. But anything to make sure the stupid valve doesn't go kaput. Ford needs to figure this out.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Great suggestion! It's annoying to have to wait after the pump stops. But anything to make sure the stupid valve doesn't go kaput. Ford needs to figure this out.
It is annoying to have to wait, but I just sit in the car and play with my phone... The perfect time killer.

HBEcoBeaST

I'll try longer, but since the replacement lines/solenoid cured the problem completely and then 20k later for it to come back points to a hardware problem. Maybe if I left it in for 5min from day 1 it'd be fine.

I get gas right before I hop onto the freeway to work and only have a few lights to negotiate. Never stalled and no codes [emoji2376]

On a side note I always get mad at the people getting regular gas at the flex fuel pumps. I'd feel like a hypocrite sitting there for 5min.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I'll try longer, but since the replacement lines/solenoid cured the problem completely and then 20k later for it to come back points to a hardware problem. Maybe if I left it in for 5min from day 1 it'd be fine.

I get gas right before I hop onto the freeway to work and only have a few lights to negotiate. Never stalled and no codes [emoji2376]

On a side note I always get mad at the people getting regular gas at the flex fuel pumps. I'd feel like a hypocrite sitting there for 5min.

Yes. Please test it out and report back. I'm curious if it helps anybody else. Thanks

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
so I tried one time left the nozzle in half way for 5min. even adjusted it and left for a few minutes extra. same results as before. no more or less stumbling
Uggh, sorry about that. It worked for me the three or four times I've done it since I started. I will report back if it stops being effective.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it [emoji106][emoji123]

haste

1000 Post Club
Cheapest I can find the purge valve assembly local(D2BZ-9C047-E) is $174.50 plus tax, ugh. I can order it from Tasca for $152.40 but probably won't get it for 2-3 weeks like my last couple order I have placed with them. 1st world problems!