Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quaife LSD - Who is interested?

jayrod1980

My ford dealerships transmission guy is willing to do it, and get me a lower price on the parts as well but they are a new dealership and have already proven they can't even mount a tire without chipping up a wheel. However, their service manager offered to fix and pay for all repairs no questions asked. I'm aware that the guys that change oil and rotate tires are not their highest paid master techs but I would feel better if I could find a transmission guru in the Las Vegas area instead.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am glad you guys are looking at this the right way, far to critical to let somebody not experienced do the job.

Even a good Ford tech likely has never installed one so if you feel you must go that route I suggest a one on one interview and ask some serious questions to ensure he has replaced ring and pinions, set up the backlash, has the tools on hand, etc......

I have probably spent around $25k or more on street and race diffs and had some bad experiences a few times, not something you want to deal with.

Siestarider

I am not good enough to do it. My favorite mechanic did not want to do the job, and did not know anyone he would trust to do it.

I went to every transmission shop in my general area, parked near each, walked around shop looking at general cleanliness, tools, personnel, current clientele. Only found one worth going inside. Interviewed owner (mainly just played dumb, easy), turned out he was a racer. One look at his race car and I knew this was the place.

If you are serious about tracking, an LSD is the best single mod available. If you are fortunate to live where there are challenging fun roads and want to go 9/10's you will appreciate it. Otherwise, probably never notice, the factory ESC/TV is really good until car's limits are pressed.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great game plan and you got to meet a local racer:)

I agree, unless really going all out the LSD is not likely needed.

One more thing, add a bunch of power and get some torque steer fun in second gear as mostly spin the tires in 1st, 3rd not nearly as much effect.

I would not go without it, my last two FWD cars I had to have custom units machined to fit as nothing available, that is how much I love and LSD!

Siestarider

I believe you can tell a lot about a man by seeing his race car. Maybe more than most indicators. His dog would be my next best.

meFiSTo

I believe you can tell a lot about a man by seeing his race car. Maybe more than most indicators. His dog would be my next best.

"...woman...her..." too. ;)

Oh...my prior car is photobombing this snapshot there in the distance at the left...

Siestarider

I am laughing, totally deserved sending up for the MSP I sound like.

Cool car, love the dragon.

meFiSTo

I am laughing, totally deserved sending up for the MSP I sound like.

Cool car, love the dragon.
Nah. I just thought of the owner Kathy (a long-time Alfa club track day coordinator here the PNW) for some reason and wondered what her car suggested about her.

The dragon/snake is taken form the Alfa Romeo emblem. Personally, I think the dolphin stickers say more about Kathy, although I do not know what that would be.

All that car needed was a cage, seats, safety gear, and BAM: a Lemons racer. Probably long ago went to the scrap heap. That snapshot was taken like 8 or 9 years ago.

Siestarider

I take the blame for distracting, so I paid $800 for install, regard Quaife as the best single mod since IC and Accessport.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I take the blame for distracting, so I paid $800 for install, regard Quaife as the best single mod since IC and Accessport.
Did a tuner shop do the install, or was it a Ford Performance/Racing stealership's service dept.??

Did it quell most of the torque steer, as well as aid in apexing/corner exits?

Is there a recommended fluid to use with these, or is it just the standard stuff suggested in the manual?

Siestarider

Did a tuner shop do the install, or was it a Ford Performance/Racing stealership's service dept.??

Did it quell most of the torque steer, as well as aid in apexing/corner exits?

Is there a recommended fluid to use with these, or is it just the standard stuff suggested in the manual?
I was unable to find someone by recommendation. So literally cruised tranny shops by parking nearby and peeking into garages. looking for cleanliness and competence in shop and work layout. Then interviewed owners. Found a drag racer/owner and his shop did the work.

I find it greatly improved torque steer, but I also hear as you add power, you add TS, its not a cure all.

If you drive hard enough to regularly invoke traction control, its a revelation. Awesome on track. With ESC off, front brakes live longer and run cooler. Apply power and it just puts it down. On the other hand, I understand Ford not making LSD standard. ESC is so sophisticated that most of us don't know it is intervening on street.

Not knowing any better, I had them fill with fresh Ford spec trans fluid. No clutch discs, seems to be fine so far.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^OK, THANKS! [thumb]

Since there are basically NO race shops around here, especially none which deal with FWD/transaxle set ups, let alone THIS one specifically, I may be FORCED to entrust this job to my local stealership's service dept. which claims to have Ford Performance certified techs (IF there is such a thing??).

The other rationale (or 'motivating factor') for doing this is that they WILL let me roll the cost of the Quaife diff AND the labor to install it into the purchase/financed price of the new car, at the time/point of delivery.

I'd rather spend the coin on this VERY functional item than what they charge for that 'Recaro package', since I have NEGATIVE trust of Recaro's products [thumbdown] from EXPERIENCE anyway, and would install my OWN choice of aftermarket NOT Recaro seats in the future (seat mounted whoopee cushions be DAMNED!!!)!!

It's kinda weird that the Fiesta ST doesn't have an LSD like the Focus SVT had. I know it's not he only car that doesn't really come with it. Would've been sweeter. I would be interested if I had a Fiesta ST.