Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Question: What 200TW Track Day Tire Should I get for a 17 inch Wheel?

ronmcdon

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I needed. I just wanted to hear what some of the track rats around here have found what works for them.
Considering the tires are paid for and mounted I think it's too late! :LOL: Actually the RT660's ended up not being an option because I couldn't get a firm ETA for when they would be in stock from any retailer I contacted.
I think you just have to be willing to play with it. I recall reading past threads where some like hot temps in the high 30's front, mid 30's rear, although it might have been for 17 inch wheel sizes. Definitely play with alignment too. I'm having rear camber plates thrown on just so I can milk my Z3s a bit further because I'm cheap.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There are no good or bad tyres, what suits your needs best, like if you own a $20 million mansion the A052s are for you.
So says the man with a $75K f body. LOL [thumb] [:)]

But seriously, mine will only be on the car for maybe 3 months of the summer, with no commuting, autocrossing, or open tracking on them at all, and when they are toast, some MUCH cheaper (and ironically WIDER) Nankangs will be going on those Dekas. [wink]

I don't even have that proverbial 'pot to piss in' (I rent, I could not afford a McMansion, or a real one for that matter, around here if I robbed Fort Knox AND the NYC Federal Reserve[histerical]), but I wanted THE widest tread width, square shouldered, big brand name tire available in that size at the time, so I budgeted for them.

I also got them for about the cost of the 660s from DTD with, flash sale pricing, discounts, customer satisfaction incentive coupons, etc.
(DTD lets you 'stack' all discounts, etc., unlike other tire vendors.)

Last edited:

ronmcdon

Oh I got the camaro when it was more discounted. Definitely not at that price. plus traded in my lower mileage mustang and got $2k competitor discount. So financing closer to 40something k. Today I think dealers are charging ADM for it and not as good deal. the Z1's were sitting on lots at times well over 100 days and you got a lot of used cars under 1k miles probably because of how punishing the stock suspension was on the street.

If you got the a052s for 660 that's a good deal. Hope you get to at least autoX it once for a test drive.

TemecFist

So says the man with a $75K f body. LOL [thumb] [:)]

But seriously, mine will only be on the car for maybe 3 months of the summer, with no commuting, autocrossing, or open tracking on them at all, and when they are toast, some MUCH cheaper (and ironically WIDER) Nankangs will be going on those Dekas. [wink]

I don't even have that proverbial 'pot to piss in' (I rent, I could not afford a McMansion, or a real one for that matter, around here if I robbed Fort Knox AND the NYC Federal Reserve[histerical]), but I wanted THE widest tread width, square shouldered, big brand name tire available in that size at the time, so I budgeted for them.

I also got them for about the cost of the 660s from DTD with, flash sale pricing, discounts, customer satisfaction incentive coupons, etc.
(DTD lets you 'stack' all discounts, etc., unlike other tire vendors.)
I dont have a 20 million dollar mansion, and I've got a set of Ao52's on the way.

OP
E
Thread Starter #67
No doubt, that's an awesome deal! You don't want to know how much I had to pay for the 615K+'s I got after it was all said and done...

It was definitely worth it though because the FiST with fresh tires gets to go to the track tomorrow. It wasn't supposed to be a Fiesta day but luckily I had a plan B since I got the wrong brake pads for the other car :rolleyes:

Fusion Works

Yeah someone local mentioned DTD having some special kickback on the RT660s. Definitely a hell of a deal.

Maybe you should call your brake pad guy and bitch. HAHA

Dpro

6000 Post Club
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/falken-azenis-rt660/p/88525

My bill has $110 off that price with some tax applied. It was $500 even. I would assume everyone would offer that deal from Falken.
well I am not sure where you got the $110 off portion as the price you linked came out to $569 before tax. on top of that your tires were 205/40 17mine were 215/40 17and yes there are price differences by size. as 215/45 16’s are also $569 before tax . So ya unless they were doing a deal they no longer are or you had some code. I am not seeing that $110 discount.

OP
E
Thread Starter #73
The first day on the 615K+'s went pretty well but I need some more time to recalibrate myself for the extra grip a 200 TW tire gives. Doing a quick review of my times on various segments of the track I was faster in some sections but that extra speed cause me to mess up other sections. The track I go to has a lot of elevation changes and I really struggled with how much grip the rear tires have. With the previous Firehawk Indy 500's I ran I got comfortable with just letting the ass end of the car slide around. Not so much yesterday. There were a couple situations where things got a bit more rowdy than I wanted. More driver mods needed to correct that and I need to dial in the tire pressures.

But overall it was diffcult to get a good reading on anything yesterday. It ended up being the hottest day of the year so far so it was pretty miserable on track even in the morning. And I wasn't in the best physical form after a massive week of mountain bike race training. I'll have another chance to get on track in two weeks though.

Maybe you should call your brake pad guy and bitch. HAHA
No shit, the brake pad guy I worked with last year was much better! :LOL: I blame Hawk for the screw up. They have entirely wrong part numbers on their website.

I am finding this hard to believe before taxes RT660’s are $580 and there are no special deals for Falkens going
I got this deal also, Discount had a Flash Sale, 110 off the Falken RT660s (when buying set of 4). They had 2 in stock and had to find 2 more randomly in stock in one of their stores. I did the 214/40R17 @ $151 each x 4 = $604 - $110 flash sale = 494. No sales tax in Oregon.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^They annihilate Tire Rack when it comes to their flash sale pricing, with the same free shipping.

Also, (I don't know how Tire Rack's insurance works), but DTD's insurance program is great, NO shipping the damaged tire back to them, just pay the shipping on the replacement, no questions asked.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I ran the RT615K and RT615K+ for years on track. They last forever but have nowhere near the grip the RT660 has. Just make sure you properly heat cycle the RT660 after you buy it otherwise it might not last long. You can have Tirerack heat cycle them for you to save time. It’s totally worth it if you only have one set of track wheels.
Do the RT615k+ need to be heat cycled also?