Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quick spool turbo options

Hello everyone, I am running an s280 stock fuel setup and am curious about getting the low end donkey kick torque back. It looks like all turbo upgrades apart from whoosh hybrid and puma speeds x series turbos, are geared to making huge power up top. Are there any other smaller frame, quicker spool turbo options for those who prefer the low end torque of the stock unit?

How does a 2860 in a smaller housing fair against the s280 or even a whoosh hybrid?

Are there any other Garret, Borg Warner, precision turbos that are sized smaller similar to the stock kp39 frame, but with better internals, ball bearing....etc?

I would love to get the donkey kick back and then some meaning 300ft lbs and torque + spool coming in strong at 3k. I realize this isn't good for the engine, but I would like to eventually put this kind of stress on a built engine. I don't need 400+ hp, would just like whoosh hybrid type performance with a perhaps stronger, more robust and reliable turbo.

For now, I am planning on installing a WMI kit to hopefully bring the torque down on this s280 setup as I have no access to ethanol.

Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Torque down low = more likely to break stuff* The hybrid sordove keeps the donkey kick from what i've gathered. Garrett and all other options if a smaller turbine exhaust housing is used it becomes a restriction and you can get exhaust reversion. I'm on a TIAL .52 A/r housing with DHM360R and going to the TIAL .64 a/R Housing That i had with my ATP Gen2 gtx2860 setup so being smaller isnt always the best.

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
So are there even any turbos s280 sized that spool the way it is? I've heard even the 2860 is still going to come with a spool penalty compared to the s280. I'm thinking of the turbos that come on other forced induction 4 cylinders like the Kona/Elantra N, GTI and Golf R. Whoosh and puma speed are the only two that manufacture hybrids. Are there custom options from a company like Boost Lab? Where they could make something like the hybrid, but ball bearing perhaps. I know it's bad for the engine, but I would have thought someone might have built and engine for that purpose by now. The Elantra makes peak torque at 2100-4700 which sounds somewhat similar to the fiesta on stock turbo/tune, think similar for the VB WRX. CTR and GR Corolla I think are a little higher up. I just like that feeling, I feel like I'm really slow from a stop.

slopoke

My 2860 hit max torque at 4.5K ish. If the S280 was available when I did my second turbo upgrade, I would have chosen it. Dyno chart below of my HP/TQ numbers. dynorunShare_0.png