Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RAAMaudio ST, street, track, dog hauler, grocery getter, ultra low weight audio.....

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #241
Great progress this weekend.

Finished the design and build of the sealed aluminum compartments for the WMI tank, pump and battery, all have their own space for safety reasons and I sprayed them all with undercoat.

Moved the WMI feed line from the inside of the car, in the door sills, kick panels, etc, to the underside of the car on top of the fuel lines.

Took the rear washer hose out of the headliner, installed a new hose along side the WMI feed line under the car.

WHY both lines under the car? Methanol is very toxic, 50/50 is pretty hard to ignite but could happen but mostly concerned about it getting on us in a serious crash, which could happen with all the horrible drivers on the road and going all out on the track. I am using the 50/50 MW mix to wash the front and rear windshields so made the line changes so not inside the car.

Wired the washer pump motor I installed into the WMI tank in the tire well, removed the stock rear hose from the headliner, glad it only took a few minutes to save .25 lbs up high on the car, it does all add up!

Today I worked on every physical space in and outside the car including under the dash on both sides except under the front seats, it was a very fruitful day.

Tomorrow I will finish all the wiring and plumbing for the new battery, the WMI setup, and start on the front of the car, WG water cooling lines, alignment, brake cooling, etc......

Done, I finished reading all 23 pages.
It never bores me reading Rick's built, specially watching him actually modify and cut away parts of the car to minimize weight.
Hey Rick remember this project 12 years ago =)
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

This picture was taken 2005, most of us just purchased our Matrix. Look at Rick's red Matrix, already lowered, wheels, first ever home built turbo set up on a 1zz. By the way that turbo set up is still running on another Matrix. Fun times and I'm excited its like a reunion we have the same car again =)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #244
Look at that tiny 2" piping, 5th injector, really tiny IC..still made 250WHP on 91 and was the second fastest SM autocross car in SoCal, meaning it was very fast for that class, I only took 3rds usually because I always made at least one mistake as it was a hatchet car, not smooth driving to make great times. It was actually bought the first day the cars were sold, 3rd sale ever, next day in a turbo shop where they built at POS setup, blew the engine, I bought the tools and rebuilt it from the mess they created. This picture is not the one to make it look good, it was supposed to be on the cover of SS magazine but I parted it out to help a "friend" that eventually burned me for around $50k.

Life goes on, I did really love that car but also the many others since and love the ST much more than the Matrix which was a bit better as grocery getter, I do miss the rear window that opened independently of the hatch.

If the Matrix had a bit lower resale value and fit in the 14' garage in our toyhauler without having to take the front bumper cover off I might be driving one again, far more modded than the 2003 I had. My buddy and business manager bought one because he liked mine so much, it has well over 550,000 miles on it on the same engine, one trans recently, drove it in Jan and it still drives great.

I had great fun meeting you and the others at out Matrix meets, autocrosses, I hope to meet up again:)

Rick

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #245
From a post on another thread, what I did just yesterday, taking the day off to rest today, been working nuts hours in crazy heat.

I started at 6:30 AM to beat a bit of the 117 degree heat today, it was over 80 when I started, I just finished about an hour ago, 12 hours in a hot garage, it was a bit rough but I am fine, having ice cold Sierra Nevada IPA now to revived a bit:)

Today's projects completed.

Installed DIY Waste Gate water cooling.

Final test, drain, fill with 50/50 WM, WMI system.

Insulate WMI, WG water lines, fuel lines, brake lines, etc in the area of the WG, DP, manifold.

Made temp rotor side brake cooling, hooked up cooling hose that is fed from center of splitter area.

Pulled passenger side rear 4 piston rear brake off, newest DIY designed billet caliper mount to move the calipers in a bit to clear the new Fastbrakes, rear parking brake cable mounts, a bit to close to the rotor so mic'd and shimmed the caliper out .047"

Added 1/4-20 SS threaded rod from DHM bumper beam to center of splitter to help support it.

Tried to shim the front lower control arm urethane bushings as when fully tight the sleeve they come with allows the bushings to be compressed a bit and less linear. Not able to get a shim installed as did not have the right tools on hand, most of mine are in storage in NV, I did load the suspension and tighten in that position just like stock bushings should always be done to eliminate preload. Even though it binds a little it is still far more linear than stock fixed rubber bushings that tighten as they flex which changes the compliance as they compress or unload.

Packed tool bag and misc stuff for the shake down drive in 117 degree temp, bought a bunch of water and when to trader joes to restock on organics.

I got on it a bit here and there, hit 23.4 PSI once, cruising at 75-80 on the Interstate highest oil temp reading on the AP was 211 degrees. water temp on the dash display right in the middle, A/C cranked up and nice and comfy inside:)

Having a bigger radiator, oil cooler, even big IC, all air ducted in via opened up grill, 40% of oil cooler air flows to engine bay below hood vents instead of into the radiator. IC lowered, 20% or more flows below radiator.

Warmed it up, leak test, all clear, drive test, all clear, cruise test, passed 100%, all in all a very good day:)

TempeST

Love every minute of your build progress and updates. I cant wait to hear more about the car once the WMI tune is final.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #247

Just about finished with the rear alumalite wall, tire well storage covers, etc...the heat here in AZ seems to slow down my progress even though I feels like I am hauling arse all day.

Ordered the Cobb 3 port boost control solenoid today, testing proved the WG is working but not being controlled by the solenoid.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #249
I love them, body roll greatly reduced, very smooth though a bit firm but still way better than stock.

The car just felt like the springs were to soft with the 6/5k BC for my taste and mostly good roads I drive on and we also have 600-700lbs on board while driving quite often when we bring the dogs along so it could use more in the rear and the Swifts are linear, not progressive which is always better for handling.

The compress less so I had to lower the front almost all the way and the rears all the way down and take out one adjuster nut but that is a good thing as more travel at the same ride height which is no real low but is what works the best for geometry.

Being able to just run the stock front sway bar saves weight, work, etc....so I like that aspect very well, my car has -1.9 rear camber so cannot be compared to a stock rear setup as far as sway bars go though.

Awesome, been wanting to do stiffer than 6/5 so wanted to see how you liked your setup. Thanks!

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #251
I drove it a bit more today paying closer attention to the suspension more so than normal and I find I am happier with it than I even knew, perfect blend of feedback, control, firm but smooth. The 6\5 BC setup was much better than stock but the new springs moved it to a much more refined level improving everything including the ride and much reduced rear harshness over bigger bumps which progressive springs are known to have issues with and why not good for the track as can cause the car to break loose suddenly.

I will give somebody the 6/5 springs if they pay the shipping cost, now that I know I am sticking with the 8/7 Swifts:)

Hey Rick, I feel your pain with the heat. It makes me not want to go out in my garage at all during this time of the year here in Vegas as well. Next time I have my front end off I'd like to address the air entering the grill and possibly focus it better with some shrouding. Can you elaborate on how you molded/attached the abs sheet you said you used? I've never worked with the stuff or purchased it. I don't think there were any clear pics of it? I do have tin snips and have worked with thin sheet metal some... haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk