Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RaceCapture Track mounting tips?

OP
faust
Thread Starter #2
just spent a while going over my options. There do not appear to be any level surfaces in this car. Leaning towards the center of the dash, in front of the touchscreen cowl.

OP
faust
Thread Starter #3
Got some feedback from guys at my local club, sounds like it's better to put these as close to the center of mass as possible. Time for another look.

Well, Here is one idea…This is my “temporary” solution… I pieced it together with things I had lying around the garage.

It has worked so well I never changed it. I wanted something cheap, easy and stable but not permanent so I could move it from car to car if needed.

I basically came up with a magnetic cup base. It sits in the rear cup holder since I never have back seat passengers while on track.

It consists of a weighted cup (cut down from a larger plastic cup) with a plastic lid taped to the open end.

I glued 3 small “rare earth” magnets I had picked up at the hardware store to the inside of the cup lid… I gave the cup more weight by placed some convenient sand in a ziplock bag in the cup before sealing it with tape.

The last thing was to stick a small metal plate (left over from a magnetic phone holder) on the bottom of the race capture unit.

Once in the holder, the base does not move or vibrate, the RC unit sticks hard enough, it takes some force to pull it off… I can turn it upside down and shake as hard as I want, no movement.

Re-cap:

Cheap - Free pieces I had laying around, $4 for the magnets

Easy - Put it together in about and hour (gorilla glue dry time)

Stable – no vibration, movement or sound (it has been in the car for about a year and a half now, I forget it is there except when I use it) I can put my seats down without disturbing it.

Easily movable – The only thing that would take a minute to remove is the connection cable to the OBD2 connector which I have run under the center console to up in the dash. But that is just slipped in and could be removed quickly.

Hope that helps with ideas.

Attachments

OP
faust
Thread Starter #5
Never would have thought of that! Very creative, cool to hear that it's been working well.

OP
faust
Thread Starter #6
Update: I noticed a nice flat vertical surface at the back of the armrest, and tried that out first.

Problem 1: this requires remapping the accelerometer channels in the RaceCapture app, which is not at all explained. After a bunch of trial and error I got it mostly right.

Problem 2: the surface of the armrest is pretty bumpy, and the adhesive on my 3M velcro would not stick to it.

So I did a version of @psiaddict1 's cup-in-cupholder technique, and it worked great! Went with the 3M velcro instead of magnets, and cardboard on top of the cup. Thanks, you saved me a bunch of hair pulling.

Update:
So I did a version of @psiaddict1 's cup-in-cupholder technique, and it worked great! Went with the 3M velcro instead of magnets, and cardboard on top of the cup. Thanks, you saved me a bunch of hair pulling.
Great, glad it work out for you too. I must had tested almost every surface in the car before I had that little brainstorm... at first I was trying to use the magnetic phone mount, but I found out what you did, there are very few flat surfaces in the car to mount anything too and the suction cups mostly love glass which is mostly horizontal or angled.

PS: What SW are you using to to record your runs...RaceCapture?

OP
faust
Thread Starter #9
Never mind.. I just watched your video over on your other thread, saw it was Solostorm software...thats what I am using also.
Have you figured out how to map anything useful from the CAN bus? Doesn't look like the RaceCapture presets include our car.

Have you figured out how to map anything useful from the CAN bus? Doesn't look like the RaceCapture presets include our car.
Yes, you are right, there are no preset for the fiesta ST. I did have some luck with loading the Mustang presets and then modifying them to try to make them work...but honestly, I put it on the back burner working on multiple other projects...

I do have some info saved that I have not tried yet, here is the link to the forum if you want to test it out…if it works, let me know, I just have not had time to go into it yet…

https://forum.autosportlabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=29879&highlight=mustang+500#29879