Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Racing transmission?

I think this is the opposite of what we're looking for. We need a taller final... Not shorter. This makes 1st gear even MORE useless.
taller will also make 3-4-5-6 even more dead if you dont have loads of power, wont it ?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
taller will also make 3-4-5-6 even more dead if you dont have loads of power, wont it ?
You're correct. If you don't have the power it'll feel like days between shifts. Which is probably why the OP was asking about custom cut gears.

If you do have the power (depending on the tune), this final will make first gear a crazy short ride. You can tune boost by gear to hold it back some.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
On top of it all, on a stock Fiesta isn't 60mph *just* at the top of 2nd? All your gears will have a lower top speed with a shorter final, so I'm not seeing how this will help the 0-60 if you have to shift into third... So you need a tune to rev out further...

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
That's a big jump. 3.8 to 4.3. I don't blame them for making it that way, but I'd think of it as a "race gear", unless you NEVER EVER go on the interstate. A CRX si has about the same gear in it, and in 5th ( and the same as our 6th ), I would do 4,400 rpm at 80mph, lmao. Even our 1.6L is gonna use gas like that. Not to mention the rpm would create more heat in the coolant system.

On the other hand.... I'd love to have that in a track focused car... [MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] where you at "my hero" ??!

Rhinopolis

If someone would just do the opposite of the puma speed 4:3 gear set, I would be interested. We start losing power on most curves that I've seen after 6k, and if someone found a lower gear ratio that worked with stock geaing to make 60 mph happen in 2cd by 6k revs, we could short shift our way through the power curve and possibly increase the useable power band of our engine. I haven't done ANY math, and am just daydreaming for all to see...lol.

By the time an option like this might be available, I'll be ready to install an LSD along with a lightweight flywheel plus upgraded clutch thumbsup

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
On top of it all, on a stock Fiesta isn't 60mph *just* at the top of 2nd? All your gears will have a lower top speed with a shorter final, so I'm not seeing how this will help the 0-60 if you have to shift into third... So you need a tune to rev out further...
Lol. Yea, due to the "spin factor", I doubt it would help 0-60 either way, unless your on tall slicks, lol

Rise from the dead revival how can I get around 2500-2000 rpm 6th at 80mph the harmonics of the new motor mounts it would be nice to be this low in rpms

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Rise from the dead revival how can I get around 2500-2000 rpm 6th at 80mph the harmonics of the new motor mounts it would be nice to be this low in rpms
Are they still being rough on you? Mayne switch to a cobb RMM ?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Using real specs, not always what is published, the lowest cost and easiest would be to see if you can find tires in the diameter that would get you at least partly if not fully into the rev/speed range you want to run.

If that does not math out then use a bigger resonator, hiemholtz type might be needed, different muffler, etc....

Using real specs, not always what is published, the lowest cost and easiest would be to see if you can find tires in the diameter that would get you at least partly if not fully into the rev/speed range you want to run.

If that does not math out then use a bigger resonator, hiemholtz type might be needed, different muffler, etc....
I'm going with a diff intake and exhaust to see if that takes care of it I already went bigger with the tires I think it will be good after the new setup but just wanted some diff options if need be

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Picking the exhaust known to have the least amount of drone is the way to go which I am sure you have now looked into. Normally Cobb is the best in the aftermarket for that but not sure on the ST. I had their DP and exhaust on a very modified and very quick street, autocross and road race track Forester XT, the setup was proven to make if not the most just as much as other systems and had no drone and we all know how loud Subies can be, it was very comfy on the ears on the road:)

The company that makes the one with the Heimholtz resonator likely has the lowest drone of any made.

Most companies just make parts and sell them without doing any real testing and far more than just intakes and exhausts:(

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Plus the sound of a good strong transmission is almost as good as a screaming turbo.
The banshee shriek of a REAL, straight cut gear, dog ringed, sequential manual gearbox would get old REALLY quick on a street driven car, and become suicide inducing on a very long road trip. :(

Besides, they wear out very quickly in street use, are completely unbearable in stop and go traffic, and clang and bang EVERY time they are put into 1st using the clutch.

Now, for a pure track rat/rally stage car, they cannot be beat. ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For the price of a fully optioned fiesta ST, some mods and an $8000 trans, you could prob buy an entire M-sport rally car, lol
HA! NOT EVEN CLOSE, as even the R2 cars go for upwards of $200K USD.

The customer/privateer R5 WRCs fetch upwards of $400K USD for Mr. Wilson & Co., BEFORE spares and ancillaries!!! [sadpanda]

That being said, my order with them would be placed within the hour of me winning a big, powerball type lottery, and then I would rent out Tim O'Neil's rally stage complex up there in New Hampshire to play on for about a month.

After that, it gets the full-on tarmac spec set up, with the inlet restrictors removed, and a BIG tune, and I rent out Road America, or LRP for a week!! [:D]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Didn't someone check on a price of one of their sequential transmissions and it was mental spendy like over 20k$ ?? Could be wrong on that but they are up there..
I believe that even the Quaife FWD sequential transaxle set ups are more than that figure, and the Sadev and XTrac units are way above even the Quaife!! :EEK:

FORGET ABOUT trying to put a whole sequential gearbox/AWD 'kit' into these cars. YIKES!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
My last serious track car build was a $100k 95 M3, 600 HP forged LS, 2300 lbs, 5.25" clutch, dog box, I bought the engine from a race team for 25 cents on the dollar, built in house so very little was labor, was not done yet, still had at least $25k to go and no spares besides the 4 sets of wheels and tires. I decided to retire and could of kept and finished the car but not had the funds to use it.

I am keeping the stock trans, flywheel and clutch setup as works just fine, shifts very very well with the mods I made for it, Motul 300 is a big improvement over the to thin stock lube. I had an aluminum flywheel and Spec clutch but decided to keep it a bit more civil and am fine with it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My last serious track car build was a $100k 95 M3, 600 HP forged LS, 2300 lbs, 5.25" clutch, dog box, I bought the engine from a race team for 25 cents on the dollar, built in house so very little was labor, was not done yet, still had at least $25k to go and no spares besides the 4 sets of wheels and tires. I decided to retire and could of kept and finished the car but not had the funds to use it.

I am keeping the stock trans, flywheel and clutch setup as works just fine, shifts very very well with the mods I made for it, Motul 300 is a big improvement over the to thin stock lube. I had an aluminum flywheel and Spec clutch but decided to keep it a bit more civil and am fine with it.
Yes, I noticed on one of the diff installation threads that we get an ap (racing, or is there a separate OEM/street division??) clutch and slave/master/throwout bearing.

On the test drive, the one thing that actually bothered me about the clutch was just how SOFT the pedal was.
Coming from an LSx f body, (albeit even though it had a clutch that is considered very 'soft' for those cars; the stock diameter, LS7 clutch), the FiST's pedal felt like it had small paper clips as the diaphragm fingers, and small click type pen springs in the disc. :(

This will take MUCH getting used to in order to avoid the over-rev on start out in first.