Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rapid Brake Wear?

I've got 20K mi on my FiST, and have been experiencing some brake noise coming to stops, like a record with a scratch - catching on the rotation.
Just got off the phone w/my mechanic (who's been svcing my vehicles for 20 years & I do trust him) - he states that the way this car is set up (and
driven) it'll likely need to be taken apart / cleaned / lubed every year or so. The car is totally stock. I do drive it like it's a Fiesta ST... is this common?
Anyone have better brake solutions?

Thanks.

Ya, this is common. I go through brakes about that quickly, if not more. Factory pads last between 15-25k miles, some aftermarket pads will last longer and will have less dust but you may lose some bite.
Pins/slides should be removed and re-greased every time pads and discs are replaced. Especially the rears as they get seized. Though it's probably not a bad idea, I don't think you have to do that every year though. I've been fine doing it just when the pads+rotors get replaced, which is more like every 18 month-ish for me. If you do end up relubing every year, just remember the slide pin bolts are single use.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I work on my brakes twice a year. This includes checking pad thickness, cleaning off brake dust and re-lubing the pad slides. I also wiggle around the the guide pins to make certain they are sliding in/out easily. From the factory the rears are notorious for being under-lubricated. I reuse my pin bolts =)

If you drive it like you stole it, torque vectoring will come into play quite often, grabbing brakes as needed to keep the car going where you want it to. Yup, pretty common. I got 22k out of my first set.

You can go with a less aggressive compound which may last longer, however the pads will have significantly less bite and will probably perform poorly once warmed up. Brakes are a lot like tires in that you tend to get what you pay for and that every pad choice is a compromise. You can either get ones that last a long time but perform comparatively poorly or you can get ones that will stand up to heat cycling and give you “finger of god” deceleration, but they won’t last as long. Depends on your preferences and how you want the car to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To Doomsday's point, I put Z23 pads on my car. They are fine for daily driving, and dust is very minimal. When I need to panic stop, they bite very well, but they don't give the "I'm ready to put your face in the windshield" feeling that the OEM pads do. When I bought the Z23s, I also bought a set of OEM pads, so I can swap back if I start to miss the Finger of God.

OP
igtufit
Thread Starter #8
If you drive it like you stole it, torque vectoring will come into play quite often, grabbing brakes as needed to keep the car going where you want it to. Yup, pretty common. I got 22k out of my first set.
'Drive it like I stole it'? Is there another way to drive?