Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear BBK in development for 15" track wheels:)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have been working on a solution for some time and finally have the parts on the way and will work with a vendor to make these available. Many setups sold for other vehicles, just getting them made for us now:)

Not a great picture but it is what I could find, we get two piece rotors with much better looking hats:)

This is performance first, looks second but will look great, just not massive as massive this car does not need as a low weight car.

I have a custom front Wilwood BBK from 2JR with 11.75" slotted GT rotors, DP6 calipers, I have to make the mounts.

I wanted a vented rear rotor to better handle the rigors of a very quick ST driven all out, late and threshold breadking, 4 piston low weight setup and searched and found a caliper with parking brake arms, low profile, etc....

An 11" rotor would fit but simply is more than needed so I am going to run a 10.75" and save another .5 lbs per side.

I have to develop the caliber mounts and cable mods to actuate the brake caliper but it looks like a re-routing of the stock cables, a bit of heat shielding, a bracket or two should be it. This is a different company as they are the only ones that have access to this caliber so I will get them to come on board here when ready, it is Wilwood based caliper so great quality/value as always with them.

This caliper/parking brake setup was designed to meet race rules where a functioning parking brake is required, not to hold a car on a steep hill, for that you have to keep it in gear and might even want to turn towards the curb, which is a good idea anyway.

It will be legal, very very low weight, will work for many situations but the steep hills, perfect for my needs and others that want to have great brakes on track.

This will be a very affordable and functional kit.

No timeline worked out yet but do let me know if interested as the prospective vendor would like an idea of what to expect.

Rick

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Rear Kit in the house, installed but calipers are just tie wrapped on as working on the caliper mount design next.

UPDATE: I found the GT rotors to actually fit so now they are here:)

Not a huge savings in weight, around 3lbs, I will get more exact data after I make the mounts which are going to be more interesting than I imagined.....

With the mount design I could go to the 11" GT rotor by just adding two shims per side but simply did not need it though it does not cost much more. I am saving .4 lbs per side and better front to rear balance.

Much nicer looking that these, better quality, better for the track, match the fronts.......the GTs are worth it and barely more money!

They just do not make this limited manf caliper in red so I am looking into painting them and getting Wilwood decals if possible.

The calipers will sit closer to the center when I make the mounts and have just enough clearance for the 10.75 and with a little mod to the parking brake levers I could fit 11" GTs later if I decided I needed them.

I get to save a bit of weight, easy to get rotors for under $100, vented, 4 piston calipers, etc.....

But, I have to cut the ears off the knuckles, weld on some material, tap it for studs, etc...and it has to be very well aligned and strong. I will give the info to a brake manf so others can get them made if they wish.

I also have to work out the parking brake cable hookup.

When I run the street 17's these will not look that big but real performance does not always mean stuffing the bigger rotor under the biggest wheel diameter you can find, just look at F1, NASCAR, V8 Stockcar, Ralley......

I will have a very sweet street/track setup that is low cost to get into and very low cost for consumables and dang reliable to boot.

See you on the track:)

Rick

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I decided to run the 11" GT rotors so they are on order now.

Final caliper mount design nearly done, will be sent to have them machined in a day or so.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Just got the rear 11" GT rotors, far better looking and simply better rotors but I did not know if they would clear the wheels so bought the barely cheaper, 10.75" ones, these only weigh .4 lbs more per side but will probably last a few years!

I saved 4lbs per rotor up front going from stock 11" to 11.75 GT rotors and overall 10lbs, 7.4 oz. total weight reduction with 6 piston calipers.

Rear I gained 4lbs per rotor going from stock 10" solid to 11.00" GT rotors and overall lost around 2.5 lbs per side with 4 piston calipers.

The rear GT looks a great deal better as well, more opening around the hat, the grooves, even the .25" size difference looks better, it was worth a little more money, like $10 each, .4 more lbs per rotor.

I will post pics in a bit

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
GT front and rear shots:)

I am calling to check on new decals and the red paint color to match the rears to the fronts.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Rear BBK prototype mount is done, needed a bit of shimming but all BBKs I have owned come with shims and I have had to use them on all but one kit over the years so it is not a big deal, I might just copy this and use it.

You can see the two piece GT rotors, ARP studs and the cut and tack welded alignment work on the axle. I will fully weld it once the car is on the ground and I do the front alignment then front to rear track alignment check to ensure all is right before the final welding. I will not drive it until fully welded of course.

I had one bolt out for this shot, they are 10m, rated at 10.9 which is the same as the factory front and rear caliper bolts but socket heads now, I have the proper length bolts to install as well.

I cut this out of a steel I beam, it was a serious job to say the least but very strong.

The plan was to make one then have some 6061 aluminum billet ones machined but I need to get the car on the road asap so will make a second one but make it fit even better then draw it up and have the aluminum ones made later.

^looks good Rick so much fun to read your updates. I can't wait until you can start shaking her down and giving us some real world numbers and driving impressions[thumb]

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I will have it on the road before the weekend is over, that is the only goal I have though a ton of other things here I need to do the car is first:)

Thanks, I want to make this the most well sorted out ST I can and then put down some incredible lap times to show just what these amazing cars are capable of and to share all I do with my fellow enthusiasts and help manf make more parts.