Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear roof leak

Dmiranda

Fista st 2016. The issue started from the tail light fixed the issue. Now i noticed when i park incline with the front up hill water started coming from the roof, took the headliner off and the water is coming from the end of the rail of the sunroof. Made sure the the drain hose was not clogged, nothing in its way and I am still having the issue. took it to a body shop, because dont have warranty anymore, to see if the can fix the issue and it went away for like a week or two. They just put black silicone around the plastic that holds the drain hose. I took it again and they dont know what to do, there just brushing me off and saying its a bad design from ford. If anyone had this issue how did you fix it?

Welcome to the club. My 2016 sits on our uphill driveway. It just rained for two day. Guess who had to get the shop-vac out to remove a gallon of water... I've researched the issue and it can come from several places. I don't drive it enough to care. Salt rust will eat it before the trunk rots out. The foggy windows are a giveaway that your in trunk pool has filled up again.

How did Ford do such a good job on our little ecoboost engines and transmissions just to make the car shitty with so many small issues like the door/hatch rust, flooding, HVAC issues with the actuators or it only works on high heat..... WTF, the little things are supposed to be the easy things not to mess up!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
============
UPDATE: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/water-intrusion-issue-resolved.23553/
============

Mine only started that, after having taken it in. I quit taking it in, expecting them to fix warranty issues because they merely end up creating new issues, while not even fixing the original. Should've taken my own advice and not taken it in, in the first place. Want something done right....

In my case though, the gap between the roof and rear hatch is like *MASSIVE*... and I can see by the missing paint that they took the rear hatch off. So I likely just need to set the rear hatch back. I don't have a pool in my spare tire well though I should check more closely. In the meantime, I have desiccant packs strategically placed about the vehicle, and tucked into the headliner sunroof shade area. That seems to have impacted the foggy windows. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TCGPZXK/

Last edited:
Anyone else having issues with water leaking in from their sunroof?

Just noticed mine leaking today, small pool of water in the trunk and rear floorboard was wet after a torrential downpour. Got everything vacuumed up and the car disassembled and it looks like it is in fact coming from the rear of the sunroof rail where it meets the drain tube. Not sure how to handle that.. there’s black caulking around the plastic piece that holds the drain tube to the rail but it looks like it’s overwhelming the piece and leaking down around it.

It’s such a bad design I don’t really know what to do to fix it. Does this mean the sunroof seal is bad and that much water shouldn’t be making it into the rail to drain out the back? Any advice is welcome!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do any of you park near or under any trees? Or deal with an tree that pollenate excessively?

Do any of you park near or under any trees? Or deal with an tree that pollenate excessively?
That’s a good question, but no I make it a habit to not park under/near any trees. Can’t stand dealing with tree sap and rain leaving imprints of leaves on the car.
My sunroof drains also looked clear yesterday when fishing some line down them. I make it a habit to clean the tray when doing a full detail and that seems to help keeping the drains clear

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I fixed my water leak on my car. Ended up being the left umbilical grommet that routes the wiring harness from the hatch to the body of the car. Water never leaked in if I washed my car which puzzled me because obviously thats alot more water, but the water doesn't sit in one spot for a while when I wash my car, so when I dry my door jambs it didn't give water the chance to seep into the grommet. But if it rained for a day or two it would seep past the grommet and drip onto the headliner and wick its way around the rear headliner.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Also PSA.

What I did to find my water leak was this. With the hatch open. I taped a water hose to the roof of the car facing the back near were I thought the leak was coming from, pulled the rear of the headliner down a little bit, ran a steady stream of water for a good 5min with the hatch still open observing any potential peak spots(don't worry it won't splash into the car with the hatch open), and then turned the hose off after about 5min. I was concerned because I wasn't seeing anything. Then about 5min after I turned the water off I started seeing the drip on the headliner and pin pointed where it came from. The water needed time to seep down into the car. I figure this is why Ford couldn't find it when I took it to them under warranty, they didn't let it sit, they just kept running water.

My leak was alot smaller then what I'm reading from you all so your alls leak might be easier to find. But you can try my method.

thanks! I looked at your thread yesterday when I was pulling stuff apart, very helpful!

I actually have a much worse issue looks like. I took it to Ford today and they pulled me back to show me that mine is leaking around the welds in the rear hatch area. Right where the roof rails end. They sprayed some foam on the outside of the car on the welded area and from inside the car used an air line to test for leaks and it blew the foam all over the place.
I believe someone else had that issue on the forum but I’m not sure how to fix it.. dealer wants big $$ to fix it including rewelding/repainting, etc. I guess that’s what I’ll have to do but dang what a nightmare