Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Recaro Mods (retitled for less negativity)

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I would enjoy this car way more if I wasn't uncomfortable every second I drove it. It's odd it seems taller owners seem to report liking the recaros. I'm 5'5 and my legs are cramped, my torso is cramped, my arms are forced forward and my shoulders are hunched and rolled forward and my head is forces forward.

When I first bought the car I thought it made sense to be rolled into a ball while driving, but after a few months I either need to modify the seats, swap out the seats, or buy a different car altogether.

I like cruising with my arms down and my hands in a more neutral position palms facing each other or tilted facing slightly up around 4/5 and 8/7 o'clock position. For some reason today it really began to piss me off that I couldn't bring my elbows by my side, the torso bolsters don't allow it unless I pull my back off the backrest.

Had anybody tried aftermarket bolsters/cushions that strap to the seat? I think an upper back cushion that would allow my arms and head back could make a big difference but I'm concerned about fitment. 11.5" seems to be the overall width between bolsters. My ass is about 15" wide. My leg spread is around 20" knee to knee.

I found this https://www.buildaposture.com/collections/frontpage/products/back-pad-replacement and it's only 1/4" wider than I need it to be.

I tried flipping the headrest around backwards, but it leans at such an angle I can't rest my head on it without looking up. Curious if focus ST headrests would be better and compatible?

It's the number 1 reason I'm hesitant to modify the car further because if I can't get comfortable I'll trade it in.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Have you ever sat in the base seats? It sounds like that would solve all your issues. If you can find a Ford Dealer who has a fist with base seats give them a try and see if they're comfortable. I have a set of base seats for sale in impecible condition if you decide that's the route you'd like to take. Otherwise, you can probably just find a cushion and shove them into the Recaros and see if that pushes you forward enough?

jeff

2000 Post Club
It’s subjective...I’m 6’3” 180 and I fit in the perfectly and have for 4 years. Getting in my Prelude in comparison feels like sitting in a barcalounger.

You should have no problem swapping them for the base seats from a member here who lives near you.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm 5'7 195 wide shoulders, and have the base seats no issues at all. You could trade and make some money.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

My Nephew has a Focus ST with the Recaro option and I drove it last week while visiting with the whole family in Charlotte. His wife hates to drove the FoST because it's difficult for her to see over the steering wheel. Once I got in the car to drive it I discovered that she wasn't the only one to have difficulty with the low seating position. I'm 5'10" and while I could see over the steering wheel I felt as if I had climbed into a Le-mans Prototype racer. Makes me glad that I chose the base model FiST with standard seats, in part due to car magazine reviews noting the Recaro's were a bit cramped. Because they are actually comfortable seats and I was in complete comfort during the 9 hour 40 minute drive back home to Detroit. BTW, my BMI runs between 22 and 23 so I am not "heavyset" or "Big Boned".

I would suggest that GTX3076 put out an offer to swap his Recaro's for the standard factory seats. Because it seems that anyone who doesn't know better wants the Recaro's and will likely be willing to do all of the work involved in the swap for you.

yes! I love the Recaro seats, drove to San Diego and back last night from Glendale CA for New Year family gathering, the only down side are the head rest, it pushes the head down, is like somebody is poking your head down and it does cause fatigue on my neck, I am 5'7", 200 lbs. will try to find the ones from the FoST.

yes! I love the Recaro seats, drove to San Diego and back last night from Glendale CA for New Year family gathering, the only down side are the head rest, it pushes the head down, is like somebody is poking your head down and it does cause fatigue on my neck, I am 5'7", 200 lbs. will try to find the ones from the FoST.
Actually! got into EBAY and ordered a set of head rests out of a 2012 Focus, lets see how they will feel after replacing.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
It’s subjective...I’m 6’3” 180 and I fit in the perfectly and have for 4 years. Getting in my Prelude in comparison feels like sitting in a barcalounger.
6'3 and 200 lbs and I love the recaros, so I guess I continue the narrative here
I will continue the narrative even further... I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs and love love love the Recaros!

I have occasional back issues and the lumber perfectly contours the curve of my spine, which eliminates the usual pain I get from driving other cars. I do find the car is a bit cramped in general, but that's to be expected. After all, it's Ford's smallest car.

I do agree with everyone else, the base seats are what you want. They are quite a bit wider in feel. Luckily, the Recaros are a hot commodity; you will have people beating down your do should you wanna do a swap.

@jeff wow, I thought I was on the thin side... You got me beat for sure!

HBEcoBeaST

The focus st recaros are nice and a little bigger. I have the base fist seats and they are definitely More relaxed and roomy.

I'm 5-11 ~170lbs and my back and shoulders do not fit in the FiST recaros [emoji3525] they didn't make them for people with broad shoulders and big backs. The next gen fist recaros from Europe look great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Am I correct that if I swap the base seats I'll lose the heated seat function?

Not sure if this'll help @gtx3076 but I had similar issues with the Recaros. I'm a thin 6'1", and I was used to a different, more upright driving position, and that darn headrest really bothered me. My back and my neck hurt for the first few weeks of ownership, and I was worried I had made a mistake. I eventually gave in to simply leaning my chair back more. Once I did that, within a few days fit was 100% better, and now I love the seating position. Steps I took:
Lowered the chair as much as possible
Leaned the chair back until my neck no longer felt forced and tilted forward/downward
Adjusted the seat's distance to pedals
Adjusted the steering wheel closer to me

Last edited:

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Actually, I think some non-recaros had the option. It wasn't a common thing tho.

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

Se7eN

I've had my car for what is 5 years now. I can tell you the Recaro's do have some give to them and will eventually mold to you. When ever I ride passenger in a friends ST I feel cramped in the seat, but that doesn't happen in mine anymore. Just give it time.

I'm 5'8 and 200lbs, so I'm not skinny but my legs are long-ish. I also spent a while adjusting the seat till I got comfy.

Last edited:

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I've had my car for what is 5 years now. I can tell you the Recaro's do have some give to them and will eventually mold to you. When ever I ride passenger in a friends car I feel cramped in the seat, but that doesn't happen in mine anymore. Just give it time.

I'm 5'8 and 200lbs, so I'm not skinny but my legs are long-ish. I also spent a while adjusting the seat till I got comfy.
Oh definitely! The Recaros are like a good pair of leather boots (think Red Wings). At first, you will get blisters and chaffing. But after a couple of week, they become the most comfy boots on the planet!

The Recaros at first are not as bad as that analogy, but you get the jist. It took me about to 2 weeks to get my Recaros to mold to my body. They are now by far the best seats I've ever had in any car. And that includes the full on luxury leather seats in my once upon a time Mercury Grand Marquis

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Actually! got into EBAY and ordered a set of head rests out of a 2012 Focus, lets see how they will feel after replacing.
I'm planning on the same thing. I have my eyes on one but Ebay servers were down this morning.