Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Recent purchase with Cobb AccessPort mods

Hi everyone! So I recently purchased a 2014 Fiesta ST with 130k miles on it. The previous owner is a car enthusiast and took exquisite care of the car. I live in CA and had to get the car smogged before registering it under my name. In order for it to pass, the previous owner had to reset the ECU to the stock setting. After driving the car for about 100 miles, took it to get smogged and it passed. I guess my question is, should I go back to the mods he installed with the access port from before he reset the ECU ( Stage 3, 91 Octane) or is it ok to continue driving as it is (stock reset.) any advice would help greatly! Thanks! 🙏🏼

Congrats on getting your car smogged, and you're lucky that the original owner gave you the AccessPort and told you the car had a tune. These days with CA smog laws, I have friends who have purchased tuned cars with no knowledge and have failed the purchase smog test, saying "What do you mean it has a tune?"

The question would be, now that you know the car will pass on the stock tune after 100 miles to clear it's ECU, does the car drive well enough for you as-is? If so, leave it alone and know that it will pass every two years. Or, if you want the extra performance of the mods, are you good with putting everything back to stock every two years? Just depends on how the car feels to you, and if doing the install/removal of mods every two years is worth it to you.

I used to play that game with a Mustang, but that was easy to drop an X-pipe and reinstall the stock cat pipes. But, nowdays, I'd just rather mod the car to the point that it's still CA legal (Cobb Stage 2 with CARB tune). I don't have the energy to remove and reinstall a cat on this car every two years.

OP
Mike_D
Thread Starter #3
Congrats on getting your car smogged, and you're lucky that the original owner gave you the AccessPort and told you the car had a tune. These days with CA smog laws, I have friends who have purchased tuned cars with no knowledge and have failed the purchase smog test, saying "What do you mean it has a tune?"

The question would be, now that you know the car will pass on the stock tune after 100 miles to clear it's ECU, does the car drive well enough for you as-is? If so, leave it alone and know that it will pass every two years. Or, if you want the extra performance of the mods, are you good with putting everything back to stock every two years? Just depends on how the car feels to you, and if doing the install/removal of mods every two years is worth it to you.

I used to play that game with a Mustang, but that was easy to drop an X-pipe and reinstall the stock cat pipes. But, nowdays, I'd just rather mod the car to the point that it's still CA legal (Cobb Stage 2 with CARB tune). I don't have the energy to remove and reinstall a cat on this car every two years.
So in 6th gear the car only sounds like it’s revving high rpm’s but my gauge shows that it’s completely normal and where it’s supposed to be other then that, that has been running flawlessly

That's for sure! I ride more than I drive, and this is the closest thing to a sport bike on four wheels that I've ever owned.