Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Redline Goods padded armrest cover install

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
A few weeks ago I ordered the Redline Goods shift boot and padded armrest. I selected charcoal leather as it looked the closes to the seat colour, with orange thread. Did not go for any extra except for 6/8" padding as I wanted the extra cushion for my elbow. The order took about 2 weeks to get to me bonus it was free shipping. The first thing that struck me when I opened the package was the smell of leather. Similar to the old baseball glove I use. The padding is not attached to the leather. The stitching look strong and straight.

IMG-20151121-00425.jpg

Test fitting the leather onto the armrest looked very good. Keep in mind this is fabric and can easily be shaped into the form you want, which means it can look off and not tight when doing the initial test fit.

As for the install it can be easy and difficult all at the same time. Easy to take the arm rest off as it only requires a T-15 to remove 3 screws, hard because upholstery work is a combination of skill and finest with a large dose of patience.

IMG-20151121-00420.jpg
IMG-20151121-00422.jpg
IMG-20151121-00421.jpg

First I suggest to test fit the padding and trim the edges(remove the corners) that will be facing the leather. This will help make a nicer finish and avoid hard edges.

IMG-20151121-00428.jpg

As I said before test fit the piece and start stretching the leather into the shape of the armrest. You leather does stretch, no a lot, but it should be stretched avoid it going baggy in the future. I started by adhering the from edge and the back edge of the padding to the armrest. Get it centered and only apply a little glue at each end(in this case less is more). This step will help tremendously to avoid fighting two moving objects (leather and padding)

I used an install adhesive call Loctite 454(http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Prism-454-Cyanoacrylate-Adhesive/dp/B000NYC6FK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448159328&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+454). You do not require much so get the 3g tube is more than adequate. This stuff is great for fabrics, leather and skin (be extremely careful). At first you may think the cover will not fit just keep pulling and stretching. Using a clamp in the rear (part the faces the back of the car) and using your hands to pull toward the front helps. Once ready place a small dab of glue on the back underside, let dry and pull at the front. Check for creases and line. If not start gluing the front edge. Them do the side. This can be tricky as too much stretch you will get wavy lines. You need even stretch. At this point you can hold the two edges with you hands and see ho to stretch.

IMG-20151121-00451.jpg

I suggest before installing to give the leather a good condition with leather an automotive leather conditioner or any non coloured leather conditioner, like mink oil.
IMG-20151121-00448.jpg
IMG-20151121-00447.jpg
IMG-20151121-00446.jpg
IMG-20151121-00445.jpg

I am very happy how it turned out, rather simple upgrade to beautify your rid and protect your elbow.

The end result is a great fitment and great looking part. It is not a perfect match but very close. If you don't want to match black would have worked well

IMG-20151122-00465.jpg

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey CG, thanks for the write up. I installed a Boomba short throw lever last night and I love it but now since the angle is different im finding my elbow feels weird on the armrest....so I'm gonna get the armrest cover with padding....

So my question is, how is it holding up several months later?

Thanks!

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Hey CG, thanks for the write up. I installed a Boomba short throw lever last night and I love it but now since the angle is different im finding my elbow feels weird on the armrest....so I'm gonna get the armrest cover with padding....

So my question is, how is it holding up several months later?

Thanks!
It is holding up perfectly. The padding is nice and the leather looks like new. Been treating it with leather conditioner as well.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
@CanadianGuy I too will be ordering the padded armrest. Would it be better/easier if I first glued the padding down to the armrest?
I did not for fear the glue would hurt the foam. I just worked it glueing a small spot at the front and at the back. Then working around making even pressure/tension. Time a patience is your friend.

I did not for fear the glue would hurt the foam. I just worked it glueing a small spot at the front and at the back. Then working around making even pressure/tension. Time a patience is your friend.
Yeah, time and patience should help. Ordered a shift boot from redlinegoods for my miata years ago...it was an absolute disaster. It doesn’t help I’m a perfectionist when it comes to manual projects: if something isn’t visually perfect it’s not an upgrade to me. The shift boot for the FiST is similar to the miata, as it is not perfect. I will stare at the folded-over sections every time. 😋
But the padded armrest? Both needed functionality AND visually appealing to me...so far as I can tell.

I’m leaning towards the black Nappa leather, as my understanding is that will resist elbow sweat/oil more.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Yeah, time and patience should help. Ordered a shift boot from redlinegoods for my miata years ago...it was an absolute disaster. It doesn’t help I’m a perfectionist when it comes to manual projects: if something isn’t visually perfect it’s not an upgrade to me. The shift boot for the FiST is similar to the miata, as it is not perfect. I will stare at the folded-over sections every time. 😋
But the padded armrest? Both needed functionality AND visually appealing to me...so far as I can tell.

I’m leaning towards the black Nappa leather, as my understanding is that will resist elbow sweat/oil more.

Folded over section? At the top? I trained mine and inserted it in the collar. Very seamless.

Thats my previous experience with the Miata 😭
Directions said to use the stock shift ring, and that’s as far as I could pull it through. Not to mention I then could not fit it over the shifter stalk, without an insanely tight fit.
It was just bad.

And of course I had already glued it to the ring, so removing the ring to use a wider ring just lead to ripped leather. Ugh it was horribly embarrassing.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Thats my previous experience with the Miata 😭
Directions said to use the stock shift ring, and that’s as far as I could pull it through. Not to mention I then could not fit it over the shifter stalk, without an insanely tight fit.
It was just bad.

And of course I had already glued it to the ring, so removing the ring to use a wider ring just lead to ripped leather. Ugh it was horribly embarrassing.

In the fiesta it’s different. There is a collar that the top of that boot slides into creating a nice clean break. As I said I trimmed the top as there was too much material to hide but that was about it.