Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Replaced flywheel/clutch-plate/bearing

Hey you guys I have an issue after replacing my flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, and bearing slave cylinder. I replaced them because my bearing took a dump and started rattling like crazy. So i switched them out and It was all fine and dandy until i started the vehicle and the pedal was okay after i did the gravity bleed and then after a couple pumps my pedal got rock hard. I opened the bleed screw on the slave cylinder and pushed the pedal and the pedal went down. After like two pumps it gets rock hard again. Can it be a defective slave cylinder, or maybe I accidentally face the clutch the wrong way?

Attachments

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What is that metal wire coiled around the pressure plate? I've never seen anything like that and could def cause binding...

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
That shouldn't be there. It's preventing the pressure plate from moving as it should. I'm prepping to do the clutch this summer and have been digging up and saving YouTube vids. The screen shot below is what an installed ST clutch should look like. Notice no spring choking the pressure plate.

1611332902067.png

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
That shouldn't be there. It's preventing the pressure plate from moving as it should. I'm prepping to do the clutch this summer and have been digging up and saving YouTube vids. The screen shot below is what an installed ST clutch should look like. Notice no spring choking the pressure plate.

View attachment 37721
Can you share the link for that photo of the video please

Ok, I must of had the story backwards. I'm interested to see the resolution.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
That doesn't make any sense the transmission side would face the pressure plate which faces the transmission.

If the transmission side was facing the wrong direction that means it would be facing the engine, and you would not see the transmission side through the pressure plate which faces the transmission.

The picture below is a backwards installed clutch.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
D
Thread Starter #9
How have you all missed it? The answer is in the first picture. Zoom in and see. The clutch disk has the transmission side label facing us, not the transmission.
The disk being backwards seems to have damaged the slave cylinder in an unusual way. It surely made a bad sound when the engine powered pressure plate forcefully removed most of the spring from the poor slave cylinder. I still don't see how exactly the issue caused this outcome... Looks easy enough to fix. The shaved aluminum in the bottom of the second picture is scary. Take it all the way apart and post up the results. I say it's salvageable.
After I took it all apart again, I realized my mistake and saw that I faced the clutch disc backwards and I have no one but myself to blame because I was in such a rush trying to get it back on the road fast. But because of this, it damaged the bearing again so I’m waiting on a new bearing at the moment from Ford. I didn’t have the car run for long so the clutch disc and pressure plate were okay

OP
D
Thread Starter #10
That doesn't make any sense the transmission side would face the pressure plate which faces the transmission.

If the transmission side was facing the wrong direction that means it would be facing the engine, and you would not see the transmission side through the pressure plate which faces the transmission.

The picture below is a backwards installed clutch.

Yea my stupid self installed my disc backwards and I had to tear the whole tranny apart again but because of my error is damaged the bearing again so I have to get one from Ford again. The clutch disc and pressure plate weren’t damaged at all so I’m glad on that side of it

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
So did you install the transmission side facing the flywheel/engine then?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did you install OEM parts? If so, did you reuse the flywheel? I've been reading that a dual-mass flywheel either shouldn't be resurfaced at all of that it's so difficult for a shop to do right that it's not worth the risk...