Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Replacing Door Pillar Vinyl

Ever since I bought my car slightly used the trim along the bottom of the passenger side window would always pop out because the clip underneath that fits into the square hole above the exterior handle was broken. Eventually this led to damage to the exterior vinyl overlay on the door pillar which annoyed the hell out of me. I ordered the replacement vinyl and trim from Tasca for $73.96 and I thought if the end result was good enough I would share it with all of you.

Part#'s

FE8Z-58255A34-A

Applique, RIGHT

AE8Z-5421452-B

Belt Molding, RIGHT

Tools: heat gun, fingers, plastic putty knife, cuticle pusher tool (believe me this is a great tool that your mom, sister, grandma, wife, gf or daughter will have!), tweezers, windex or exterior cleaner (non wax) a microfiber or terry cloth towel.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
TORQHEAD
Thread Starter #3
Here is a pic of the damage vinyl and trim with the broken clip, in the next pic you can see the broken clip and where I tried to temporarily repair it and in the next pic you can see the damage to the vinyl piece.

Your first step is to remove the trim piece by pulling up on it and working your way towards the front of the car with the door open.

OP
TORQHEAD
Thread Starter #4
Next you want to take your heat gun on its low setting and evenly warm up the vinyl to make it easier to peel off. It folds around both sides and the top so this is where I started the peeling from the bottom. This is mostly just peeling with your fingers and will be the hardest part (but not hard). On the side that tucks under the rubber window channel you will want to use those cuticle pushers and tweezers to remove all the vinyl inside there. This will take some patience so take your time and dont over heat with your heat gun.

OP
TORQHEAD
Thread Starter #5
Once off you can remove any residual sticky icky residue from the old piece with your windex and towel, this is good to ensure smooth proper adhesion of the new piece.

OP
TORQHEAD
Thread Starter #6
Working from bottom peel about an inch of the backing off the new vinyl and line up along the bottom, the new vinyl piece is cut specifically to fit exact so line it up straight, you will be able to see a line where the old piece was. Remove a little backing at a time while adhering the new vinyl and working the any bubbles or creases in the surface.

OP
TORQHEAD
Thread Starter #11
Now just fold over the top and appreciate the nice new factory matching vinyl. I gently warmed the surface with my heat gun to help with the adhesion of the vinyl

Hmmm, that looks really good.

The previous owner for my car had put goddamn wind deflectors on it, and the dealer I bought it from then took them off and messed up the vinyl so they just removed all the vinyl. I was going to get new stuff but read in another thread that it required a lot of interior disassembly for wrapping the vinyl around the side properly and kinda gave up on the idea.

Business6

Always found it weird that its just a piece of vinyl and not a separate plastic moulding
Agreed. Mine looks terrible because it's all worn. Sadly it's another place where Ford cheaped out.

I might try going through another winter before I replace them, though.