Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Replacing pads & rotors, what should I look out for?

Coming from a VW, there was always something other than standard procedures to keep in mind when replacing parts. Example is you have to also replace the bolts when replacing brakes.

Are there any other concerns, extra parts that I should have, or things to look out for? I've heard rusty guide pins. Should I just buy replacements for all of those as well just in case?

Thanks,
-Ryan B.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Coming from a VW, there was always something other than standard procedures to keep in mind when replacing parts. Example is you have to also replace the bolts when replacing brakes.

Are there any other concerns, extra parts that I should have, or things to look out for? I've heard rusty guide pins. Should I just buy replacements for all of those as well just in case?

Thanks,
-Ryan B.
I did pads/rotors on my 2014 at 30k miles. Here are some things I encountered:
- Guide pins had little to no grease from the factory. I replaced all guide pins and boots (why not, they were like $6/corner at Rock Auto)
- a few of the bleed valves were clogged from rust. Had to replace one
- You will need a special tool to retract the rear calipers since they are a spiral piston. It requires a twisting motion while pressing.
- My front passenger caliper piston was leaking at the seal. There was a LOT of rust buildup and the seal had failed. I replaced the entire piston, seal, boot assembly. Not hard at all
- It took about 200 to 300 miles before the pedal feel improved, even after proper bed in. Keep in mind I went with a somewhat cheap centric rotor/pad package from Rock Auto.

Hope that helps some!

i noticed photos of OEM pads come with replacement bolts. It was very easy to strip the heads of the caliper bolts. The EBC pads I used didn't come with replacement bolts, does anybody have PN? Thanks.

OP
The_Ryan
Thread Starter #6
i noticed photos of OEM pads come with replacement bolts. It was very easy to strip the heads of the caliper bolts. The EBC pads I used didn't come with replacement bolts, does anybody have PN? Thanks.
my OEM pads did not come with replacement bolts. Should be low risk of stripping if you torque to spec. but check TASCA's website and select from the diagram to get the correct bolt