Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Retrofitting Services?

I have seen an uptick in posts on the forums and in the group pages of people asking about retrofitting, either too timid to have them done or simply do not have what is needed to complete the job.

Having built several pairs of retrofits, and acquired quite a few tools for doing so over the years....I figured I would gauge the interest in offering to do this as a service.

Pricing and cost would could be determined dependent on the options you select and how much this takes off, if at all.

Post or comments your thoughts on this.

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #3
I sent a PM. I can do them. Price would depend on cost of materials and what look your going for.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
interested on cost for retrofitting a set of USDM lights with only a low beam projector?

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #6
interested on cost for retrofitting a set of USDM lights with only a low beam projector?
id recommend the morimoto parts and the helix ballast. That’s what I have in my own set and they have worked flawlessly through subzero temps and long road trips. The kind of effort required to do this, in my opinion, is not worth getting a cheap projector and ballast.
Though you can certainly do as you wish and I’d be happy to do the service for you either way.

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #7
I have had a few people inquire.

What would someone feel they would pay for this service? To not have to do it themselves. A quality set up would run you about $400 in parts, plus your headlights or a new set of headlights.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I just wanted to note that the labor/expertise here is the real value, that is awesome that someone with the know-how is offering this. I just think that there are always ways to keep parts cost down. Replica US OEM style headlights can be split easier than actually OEM due to use of butyl vs. permaseal, from what I understand. Also, Morimoto are indeed nice but just to play devils advocate, even cheap off brand projectors these days are not that bad, at all, and if someone already has Euro's, well, the stock low beam projector is totally fine for modern LED's designed around halogen filament placement, just not for HID's... so maybe offer just a high beam retro service too and maybe offer some different part choices other than just the *very* best quality. I mean, a lot of people might be interested in a low beam retrofit to stock US housings for $100-150 in parts for just low beams, $200-300 for quad with some of the off brand projectors and JDM Tuning HID kits that rate really high that are only like $70... I'm just saying it might be worth considering with a budget car market... *shrug*

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #9
I just wanted to note that the labor/expertise here is the real value, that is awesome that someone with the know-how is offering this. I just think that there are always ways to keep parts cost down. Replica US OEM style headlights can be split easier than actually OEM due to use of butyl vs. permaseal, from what I understand. Also, Morimoto are indeed nice but just to play devils advocate, even cheap off brand projectors these days are not that bad, at all, and if someone already has Euro's, well, the stock low beam projector is totally fine for modern LED's designed around halogen filament placement, just not for HID's... so maybe offer just a high beam retro service too and maybe offer some different part choices other than just the *very* best quality. I mean, a lot of people might be interested in a low beam retrofit to stock US housings for $100-150 in parts for just low beams, $200-300 for quad with some of the off brand projectors and JDM Tuning HID kits that rate really high that are only like $70... I'm just saying it might be worth considering with a budget car market... *shrug*
I appreciate the input. I’m really look to see what the community wants.
I’m open to any and all suggestions.
I have not opened any of the aftermarket ones so I can’t say how different that would be.

I’ll do a little a research and see what I can find out.
Would the general consensus be looking for budget retrofits?
Or would we want higher grade retrofits?
Let me know in the comments below.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I have not opened any of the aftermarket ones so I can’t say how different that would be.

Nice, I'd just research different part options so you can give people choices, I do know it's a 2.5" projector that fits in our headlights, but a lot of the cheapies are those "bi-xenon" contraptions that changes the light angle for low and high beams in one, it's not easy finding straight up 2.5" housing's that aren't bi-xenon, although of course that part of it could be skipped over, I'd rather the money go towards the lens, etc. but THESE DDM Tuning are a really good full set for the money that's not total cheap crap at all. In fact their HID sets are easily the best for the money out there according to test results HERE... So maybe a Morimoto premium and a DDM Tuning value option could be a good start?

Budget retrofit for me!

Budget customer:
Low beam projector with a set of LED Low Beam.

End of the history.

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #12
Nice, I'd just research different part options so you can give people choices, I do know it's a 2.5" projector that fits in our headlights, but a lot of the cheapies are those "bi-xenon" contraptions that changes the light angle for low and high beams in one, it's not easy finding straight up 2.5" housing's that aren't bi-xenon, although of course that part of it could be skipped over, I'd rather the money go towards the lens, etc. but THESE DDM Tuning are a really good full set for the money that's not total cheap crap at all. In fact their HID sets are easily the best for the money out there according to test results HERE... So maybe a Morimoto premium and a DDM Tuning value option could be a good start?
The issue with some of the aftermarket options for projector retrofits is that the projectors do not fit when installed due to the limited area behind the drivers side headlights with the battery and fuse box being right there.

I have only tried the Mini H1 from Morimoto and confirmed that it has fit without issue. Cost is up there, but performance is outstanding. I recommend higher end products as most individuals do not have the working knowledge or simply the time and ability to handle issues alongside the road that potentially come with the lower quality kits.

The DDM Kit you linked looks like it will fit without issue. The specs on the projector appear to be within the allowable tolerance we have in our headlights and when installed.

I will not dispute that any aftermarket projector is most likely an upgrade from stock, as it is abysmal that Ford thought those headlights were sufficient. Those who live in larger cities with street lights along the way may not understand or recognize the output deficiencies that our stock headlights have.

Those who live in rural areas might understand what I mean.

I will post some budget options and tier them from budget friendly to high performance.

Stay tuned.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Budget retrofit for me!

Budget customer:

End of the history.
Then you could go with Depo replica Euro's and you get LED DRL strip too... They are only about $350 including shipping to the US and H7 LED's work fantastic in them as they are technically halogen projectors so any modern LED bulb designed to mimic halogen filament placement are amazing... Not sure how much shipping would be to hermosa Colombia, pero, it's worth looking in to! :)

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #14
Budget retrofit for me!

Budget customer:

End of the history.
I could do one for you, but the main issue I see if that shipping would be costly. I would recommend that we purchased a set of new headlamps stateside and had them shipped to me and I could work on them and then work out shipping to you. I am currently looking into LED options as well as some HID options.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The issue with the aftermarket options for projector retrofits is that the projectors do not fit when installed due to the limited area behind the drivers side headlights with the battery and fuse box being right there.

I have only tried the Mini H1 from Morimoto and confirmed that it has fit without issue. Cost is up there, but performance is outstanding. I recommend higher end products as most individuals do not have the working knowledge or simply the time and ability to handle issues alongside the road that potentially come with the lower quality kits.

The DDM Kit you linked looks like it will fit without issue. The specs on the projector appear to be within the allowable tolerance we have in our headlights and when installed.

I will not dispute that any aftermarket projector is most likely an upgrade from stock, as it is abysmal that Ford thought those headlights were sufficient. Those who live in larger cities with street lights along the way may not understand or recognize the output deficiencies that our stock headlights have.

Those who live in rural areas might understand what I mean.

I will post some budget options and tier them from budget friendly to high performance.

Stay tuned.
OK, so yeah, I figured you have to search out not only 2.5" but also "mini" type projectors for the fit it sounds like. I had been searching around over a year ago but after getting my Euro's I'm good, but some people may want to keep the DOT cutoff and required amber corners to officially be legal and a proper retrofit is the way to do that... Anyway, glad I found that solid mid-range DDM Tuning kit, hopefully some people will have the chance to have you do some for them!

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #16
OK, so yeah, I figured you have to search out not only 2.5" but also "mini" type projectors for the fit it sounds like. I had been searching around over a year ago but after getting my Euro's I'm good, but some people may want to keep the DOT cutoff and required amber corners to officially be legal and a proper retrofit is the way to do that... Anyway, glad I found that solid mid-range DDM Tuning kit, hopefully some people will have the chance to have you do some for them!
Ive currently found the following that would fit in the housing and should perform better than stock. I could have a possible 4 tier setup for HID.
Acme Standard H1-Basic
Acme Super H1 Basic-Better
DDM Tuning H1-Basic-Better
Morimoto H18.0 -Best

I have not found an LED projector that I am confident will fit without issue, but am still looking.

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #17
The Euros can have the 4TLR retrofitted into them with is significantly better than the above options. It simply has more room due to the way its layout is. There could be more projectors that fit but I have not tried them.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Ive currently found the following that would fit in the housing and should perform better than stock. I could have a possible 4 tier setup for HID.
Acme Standard H1-Basic
Acme Super H1 Basic-Better
DDM Tuning H1-Basic-Better
Morimoto H18.0 -Best

I have not found an LED projector that I am confident will fit without issue, but am still looking.
What about the Morimoto Mini HB LED? Looks like it's smaller than the 4TLR? How about for the high beam at least where you really want "instant on"? Of course, the high beam is exactly the same H1 reflector on both US and Euro, just not sure how much room exactly...

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #20
So basically what we would be looking at, and this is for parts cost alone, no including labor which can vary based on actual needs or customer wants.

Acme Standard $155, which would include the relay harness, Acme Superstart Ballast and B stock bullet shroud (may have factory blemishes) and the acme bulbs from 4300k to 6k. These have a 6 month factory warranty on projectors and 1 year on the ballast.

Acme Super $185 which include the Acme superstars ballasts and B stock shroud, and acme bulbs 4300k-6k. These have a higher quality control, but are essentially the same as above. These will have slight better output and less changes of factory defects or issues down the road.

Morimito Mini H1 8.0., These would be the premium option. Personally run by myself and have an outstanding warranty of 3 year on the projector. I would pair this with Hylux ballasts with a 3 year warranty and the bulb options are greater. Cost would be $230.

After looking into the DDM Tuning stuff, I do not know the specs on their shrouds, nor have I worked with their products, so I probably would shy away from them. The acme would be similar quality and easier for me too obtain and work with.

Labor costs would include opening and sealing the lenses, wiring harness for use of factory hi beams if you wished, additional cost for painting the housings, specific colors or factory matched with paint code. I have a local store that can paint match over 500,000 colors. I am sure they can get yours right.

Labor would further depend on OEM or an aftermarket set.

I could start a possible group buy of say first 3 sets at a lower labor rate to get the ball rolling and hash out any issues.