Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

REVIEW: Active Shift Design Pedal Spacer

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Slightly off topic but still kind of related, I wish COBB can make some sort of auto-blipper function on downshifts like on 370Z's, that would be awesome!

OP
aballphoto
Thread Starter #24
This is a great mod for those that need it and as seen, some want it tailored to their particular fitment.

That said, not all will need it, or some may put it on and actually hinder their driving ability by trying to use a method that is not right for everybody.

I considered making my own as I do many parts but I do not heel and toe when downshifting and I like to make it known as it is not the only way to be fast. Many championship drivers have not used this method, it is not the holy grail some think it is but it is great for those that do it right and it works for them.

Since so many think heel and toe is the only way that works it is not commonly reported otherwise.

I have been to racing school and spent considerable time working on it and it just does not jive with me. At the end of the school I was asked to come back for a big event and be a paid instructor so I must not be to bad with the method I use:)

That said, this mod may not be best for some, in my case I would get leg cramps if it was moved closer, the pedals are perfect for my style of driving and I am not slow, not a world class race driver but pretty good, two days going all out on track in a very modded FiST and the stock pedal positions were never an issue.

-------------

Great thread, great to have so many parts becoming available for our great cars, just wanted to ensure it is known to not always be a required method to go fast.

Sincerely,
Rick
You make some great points, everyone is different. But you lost me when you started talking about heel-toe. Your information seems a little twisted. I've been a race instructor for close to a decade, I've raced professionally, Driven sports cars and open wheel racers alike, good friends with world-class drivers. If lap times are your objective-- You heel-toe. The only time you don't, is when you are left foot braking (which requires no downshift).

In a turbo car, such as this, you want to be back to the gas as soon as possible. Rev matching is an important part of engine longevity. Now, it's not a requirement. You don't have to rev-match, but it is very strongly recommended. If you aren't comfortable with it, not a problem, not everyone is. As you said, everyone has different preferences, but if it's the fastest lap you are after, you're going to want to be hittin' all 3. It can be difficult if the seating position and controls aren't good for someone. I've raced cars where I couldn't tighten my right harness all the way because I couldn't reach 5th gear. Every car and every person is different, so do what works for you.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I need to dig in and find the interview with the current or recently current championship racer, well known, that talked about his method not being heel and toe and mentioning other well known champions that did not do it either. I was a great read for me to say the least.

There is a huge bias towards heel and toe, i.e. "Your information seems a little twisted" and many simply do not know there are other ways that work for other drivers. Human nature being what it is some tend to think there is only one way and just do not consider other methods appropriate.

The point of my post is that if any others out there have a hard time getting this right they can realize that is OK, it is not the only way to be fast and safe on track though for most it likely is the best, there are no absolutes.

---------------

My methods are simple, brake late, hard, when slowed enough slip in the clutch, pull it out of gear, select the gear I want to exit the corner in, slip it in while still braking, slip the clutch out when ready to accelerate which is usually well before the apex but on some corners I trail brake all the way into it.

I vary the exact timing, etc per how the car works in a particular corner and I do blip the throttle sometimes as well to bring the revs up a bit if needed, spool the turbo a bit, all depends on the corner, speed, traffic, etc....

I may of developed this due to injuries when younger, blown out of a building from being electrocuted was not much fun.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Good lord... Le' Sigh

Rick, didn't you say in another thread you don't heel toe because you physically cannot because of an injury? Yet you write a term paper here (big surprise) on why heel-toe isn't the best thing to do?

C'mon.... you must have a lot of time on your hands to constantly write these term papers in every thread that always come back to being about you and barely part of the actual thread.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I agree, I was sitting here having my morning fresh ground, organic, fair trade, filtered water, percolated, with organic grass feed cream....and got a bit long winded.

I just edited it a bunch:)

Rick

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I can't believe I'm reading posts that have been edited for brevity.

Personally, I can't imagine the accelerator being raised more than half an inch without being excessively higher than the brake under hard braking. I have wide feet so I don't really 'heel-toe' as much as roll the outside of my 11H full-grain, poplar frontier leather, direct-attach construction, Texon insole, non-metallic shank, TPU-PU Galaxy - Brown, non-making, defined heel, ASTM F2413-11, M/I/75/C/75, EH boots...onto the accelerator. It works well for me on my daily commute.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I have wide feet so I don't really 'heel-toe' as much as roll the outside of my 11H full-grain, poplar frontier leather, direct-attach construction, Texon insole, non-metallic shank, TPU-PU Galaxy - Brown, non-making, defined heel, ASTM F2413-11, M/I/75/C/75, EH boots...onto the accelerator.
I see what you did there. ;)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just got way to wordy, long winded, whatever so made it simpler:)

I probably cannot heel and toe because of an injury, or more than one, and I have tried and I am sitting here thinking I need to start trying again, really.

But, I did read a great interview with a many times championship pro driver that does not heel and toe and he mentioned other great drivers that did not do so. I have been wracking my brain trying to remember who it was.....I was honestly shocked when I read it as I just thought I was a lost cause in heel and toe yet have done very well in many sports and activities since I was injured so it seemed I should be able to master that easily as well.

I can say I have had many championship autocrossers, some very talented pro road race driver/instructors ride with me and none ever brought up how I used the brakes, clutch and throttle, not once in 46+ years.

Well, once, drivers ed, 55 Chevy with dual brakes and clutch, went to park in front of the school garage and the instructor jammed on the brakes because he thought I was going to drive into it, which was not the case:)

Honestly, I promise, I have been considering making my own custom mount to move the pedal to perfectly fit me and start practicing heel and tow, an idea I have had for the last 8 months or so but have been busy with other things and my car was on the lift 7 of those months.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Really? Again?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?

At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident, similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga. Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus. Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet ut et voluptates repudiandae sint et molestiae non recusandae. Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Oh how we have so much fun here:)

Back on topic.

It is great to have more options and especially at less cost than some products being sold.

Perhaps the vendors of such products will realize one size does not fit all and make more sizes available or one version with more adjustments.....I might even buy one.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
we appreciate everyone's perspective, experiences and knowledge, however unique!
Oh yea?

Okay, my perspective and experience is his non sequitur responses usually go off into off topic land and are annoying as all hell the way he always brings it back to himself and something not even having to do with the post before.

Hope you can appreciate that.

Brevity is worth a good amount, especially from a staff member.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Oh yea?

Okay, my perspective and experience is his non sequitur responses usually go off into off topic land and are annoying as all hell the way he always brings it back to himself and something not even having to do with the post before.

Hope you can appreciate that.

Brevity is worth a good amount, especially from a staff member.
Okay, points taken but there is no need to be negative about it, back on topic everyone please!

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I just installed my pedal spacer then went for a good test drive.
I found three things.

1. It was VERY easy to install, even for an old fat man.

2. It puts the pedal in a great position just as the spacer comes.
Since the pedal assembly normally bolts to the bulkhead and not the floor, the angle of the pedal does not change.
It just gets closer to you.

3. This spacer makes your car FASTER (see reason #2).
Because the pedal is now closer, you don't need to push as far to go faster.

I LIKE IT !

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am considering getting one or making my own and practice, practice and practice some more to see if I can learn to do this or use some adaptation, I will then back it up with timing laps using both methods and see how it goes.

You can cut it in what ever size you want trim a 1/4" a 1/2" it's a spacer then trim the extention nut thing down boom custom to your specs. I personally like it the way it is. It is 100% better for my big feet than the stock location