Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Road tripping with the FiST?

Factory recommends a 3psi bump in the tires for extended high speed driving.
LOL, the exact wording is
"If you are operating your ST vehicle in areas that allow high-speed driving over 100 mph (161 km/h), increase the tire pressure in all four tires by 3 psi above the pressures listed on the Tire Pressure placard located on the driver?s side b-pillar."

So although 3 extra PSI is probably fine for road trips, it's not really necessary unless you're REALLY speeding.

I've made the drive between Houston and Dallas a few times already in the Fiesta. I don't have the Recaro's so I can't comment on that, but outside of a few places where I-45 is shit, I didn't get too beat up from the drive. I'm really not a fan of how fast the fuel economy falls off above 70mph in these cars though. At 65 I get 37+mpg, at 70, I'm around 35pmg, and at 80 you drop to ~30mpg. I haven't put much 85mph cruising on this car, but I'd imagine it gets worse fuel economy at those speeds than my V8 Mustang did. Lol I guess that's the price you pay for good city fuel economy.

Ian,

Yeah I have been craving a serious bicycle getaway for awhile now. The trip to Boulder seemed like the perfect excuse. Luckily my girlfriend has decided to meet me up in Boulder.

Ever been biking in New Mexico or Colorado? Living in Austin has definitely made me more more of a cross country rider than a downhiller so I'm looking for some trails with some distance.

Also, do you think my Sea Sucker Talon bike rack will be up to the job?
I went to school in Colorado and lived there before moving to Austin to work at COBB. I love Colorado mountain biking! I'm actually taking a trip to Utah next week to ride.

The Seasucker should be fine in my experience. Just check the plungers at each fill up.

One other quick question. I'm just now learning about tires and tire sizes and was wondering about the 215/40's you mentioned. Is that size close to stock but with a slightly higher sidewall? Any issues with clearance while cornering or rolling over speed bumps? Will it improve the bumpiness of the ride?
215/40 will be slightly taller than stock tires, but you shouldn't have rubbing issues (I haven't had any issues and I'm lowered on Eibach springs). They might be a little noisier though depending on the stickiness of the tire.

Ian

"If you are operating your ST vehicle in areas that allow high-speed driving over 100 mph (161 km/h), increase the tire pressure in all four tires by 3 psi above the pressures listed on the Tire Pressure placard located on the driver?s side b-pillar."

So although 3 extra PSI is probably fine for road trips, it's not really necessary unless you're REALLY speeding.
Open highway allowed for cruise control at thirteen miles an hour...

Perry

I did a recent trip to Salt Lake City from Kansas City and return for the ST Octane Academy. [Which I cannot mention without recommending--if you get a chance, do it!]. Did it in two days, about 8 hrs each, and had no problems/complaints. My practice is to stop and stretch legs/walk around, etc. every 2-2.5 hr or so, and I am sure this greatly ameliorates any complaints I might otherwise have about numbness, pain, etc., but that all said, I found the Recaros very comfortable, noting that I did a fair amount of adjusting of them to find a good seating position before the trip.

Side note re: biking in Colorado. If you're going to be in the Boulder area, there are simply tons of great biking options. This is also true in Fort Collins, Estes Park, and Colorado Springs. I'm a road biker, and whenever I'm out there without my bike, I'm wishing I had it with me.

OP
A
Thread Starter #26
Side note re: biking in Colorado. If you're going to be in the Boulder area, there are simply tons of great biking options. This is also true in Fort Collins, Estes Park, and Colorado Springs. I'm a road biker, and whenever I'm out there without my bike, I'm wishing I had it with me.
That is actually part of my problem. There is just too much good riding to choose from. I will be camping until I hit Boulder so looking to hit some places that offer both. Was thinking of staying in the Breckenridge area for the Colorado stop.

Thanks for the feedback on the long drives. Jealous of your trip to the the Ford driving school!

OP
A
Thread Starter #27
"If you are operating your ST vehicle in areas that allow high-speed driving over 100 mph (161 km/h), increase the tire pressure in all four tires by 3 psi above the pressures listed on the Tire Pressure placard located on the driver’s side b-pillar."

Ha! Yeah I don't even think my bike rack could handle that. So will probably be keeping it well under 100mph.

OP
A
Thread Starter #28
I've made the drive between Houston and Dallas a few times already in the Fiesta. I don't have the Recaro's so I can't comment on that, but outside of a few places where I-45 is shit, I didn't get too beat up from the drive. I'm really not a fan of how fast the fuel economy falls off above 70mph in these cars though. At 65 I get 37+mpg, at 70, I'm around 35pmg, and at 80 you drop to ~30mpg. I haven't put much 85mph cruising on this car, but I'd imagine it gets worse fuel economy at those speeds than my V8 Mustang did. Lol I guess that's the price you pay for good city fuel economy.
This is good to know. I will be off the interstate for the most part so should be at 70mph or under for for the majority of the trip.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
215/40 will be slightly taller than stock tires, but you shouldn't have rubbing issues (I haven't had any issues and I'm lowered on Eibach springs). They might be a little noisier though depending on the stickiness of the tire.

Ian
^ This. They are taller by roughly 4mm which will give a tiny bit more room to absorb hits on the road. It doesn't sound like much but you can really change the feel of a car by manipulating your tire sizing and a few psi of air. The added width will also assist in the traction issues my car seems to be suffering from...

Note-Changing your tire diameter will affect your speedometer, so know how far you are off before hitting the cruise-control button.

OP
A
Thread Starter #30
I went to school in Colorado and lived there before moving to Austin to work at COBB. I love Colorado mountain biking! I'm actually taking a trip to Utah next week to ride.
Any suggestions? I'm in an endless Google loop of trails and campsites in Colorado and really don't know where to start. Really any thing in the Southern half of the state is fair game. Any personal favorites?

Also, do y'all have a storefront/shop here in Austin?

OP
A
Thread Starter #31
Note-Changing your tire diameter will affect your speedometer, so know how far you are off before hitting the cruise-control button.
Is there any way to adjust the speedo to accommodate the changes in diameter?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I honestly have no idea as of right now. Cobb might have an answer or idea, but if I rely on what I know of other models (i.e.-Focus) I would assume not.

Any suggestions? I'm in an endless Google loop of trails and campsites in Colorado and really don't know where to start. Really any thing in the Southern half of the state is fair game. Any personal favorites?

Also, do y'all have a storefront/shop here in Austin?
White Ranch, Lair of the Bear, and Evergreen Mountain are some of my favorites.

Our HQ is in Austin, so not only can you buy parts, but you can see where we ship everything from, design parts, and do manufacturing. We don't do custom installs (we don't have the space or manpower to do it properly), but feel free to stop by and check it all out! We also have a meet the First Thursday of every month, so this Thursday. I'll be there with my new red wheels ;)

Not with the Accessport right now, sorry!

Ian

Made the trip from southern California to Salt Lake City for the Octane Academy at Miller Motorsports Park and on the way back from the reception at Ken Blocks Hoonigan Headquarters tonight I checked my trip odometer which I reset when I left. so far 765 miles of 75 to 85 mph cruising, no issues at all knock on wood.I still have 2 days of track fun to go then the trip back, a healthy road trip for sure.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Just after I got the FiST, I had to do a turn around trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco.
About 7 hours driving up, 1 hour there, then about 7 hours back.
The car felt, handled, and performed great.
I thought then, and still do, that the Recaros offer great support.

I was just very tired.

Dave