Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rota Rotas Grid Grids 17x8 installed yahoo yippee

jeff

2000 Post Club
Titled as such to help folks searching in future times.......I had a heck of a time getting info on these wheels but after poking around I made my choice and today they were installed.

So I thought I'd make a new thread in hopes of helping some folks who are searching and trying to figure it all out like I did. I'm new to aftermarket wheels. This thread will hope to be a one-stop destination for someone doing research on Rota wheels and specifically Grids. Just read all this, then go to eBay and click "Buy it Now".

If you have Rota Grids, feel free to post pics of yours, make sure you include wheel size and tire size.

SIZE
I bought Rota Grids in 17x8. I wanted something that bolted right up. I was interested in weight reduction but also in style. I like 17s (sorry Rick), I feel like they fit the car really well. I wanted grey wheels (these are 'hyper black' which is really grey). I hoped for 17x7.5 which they do make but they are not available in the USA. I called the Rota HQ in California, they barely speak english and never returned my calls after two conversations. What they did communicate is they could possibly special order them but they would take 2 months and I'd pay shipping which would be several hundred dollars. That sucks, plus if a wheel is damaged you're screwed looking for a replacement. So 17x8 it is. I picked these wheels after looking at probably 1000 wheels. It gets confusing. But I kept coming back to the Grids. Maybe I was drawn to them because of my Subaru heritage, these are popular with those cars.

LOOK
I PM'd and texted and talked to 3 or 4 folks who I'd learned had these wheels but didn't post pictures. After tons of research and looking I resolved that the 17x8 wheel was going to be acceptable on my 215/40/17 wheels. I was a bit concerned that the edges would stick out and get damaged from road grit and pebbles and etc., plus I was worried about the stretched look. But as you can see in the pics below they look great. The tire isn't exactly protecting the rim but the rim isn't protruding either. FYI my Federal RS-R 215/40/17's are 22.49 lbs, have 86mm sidewall, tread width = 7.5", section width = 8.7". Interesting things to know when you're matching wheels to tires, not all tires are created equal.

SPRINGS
I'm lowered on Mountune springs. On a flat road (others have the same, it's normal I've decided) the front is maybe 1/2" higher than the rear, I think it looks that way because the fender shape is a bit different. A few of the pics make it look higher but that's because I was parked on a slight hill.

WEIGHT
These weigh 19.4 lbs. each. They are supposed to weigh 18.9 according to the internet but that's not true. Still that's 3.1 lbs./tire which is 12.4 lbs. which equates to the feeling of 124 pounds less on the car.

PERFORMANCE
I'll report more later - I only drove home and had my stock wheels in the back so I couldn't go speed racer. But acceleration feels about like when you add an intake to a car. Not a huge gain but a minor noticeable gain. I'm sure cornering will be improved and such as is common with lighter weight wheels. Again I didn't drive aggressively since I had my stockers in the back, plus rain. But more thoughts on this after more driving happens.

OTHER STUFF/ADD ONS
If you get these you'll need the following things:

(1) new Ford OEM valve stems - Ford sold me these for $12 each. You need the ones compatable with the OEM TPMS. You can get Schrader versions for $4 each on Amazon here, they're supposed to be decent.
(2) lug nuts - I'm not actually sure if these are necessary but I got a set of spline drive wheel nuts for $39.99 at Advance Auto, they match the new wheels better, who wants shiny silver lug nuts on your new Rotas?
(3) hub centric rings - also not sure if these were truly necessary but for $15 you can't lose. I got aluminum ones, this exact product and they fit perfectly, hub and wheel. The installer did sand the wheel side paint down very slightly, just enough to help the rings fit right in snugly.

WHEEL CAPS
The seller (eBay) I purchased from only sent me 2 caps...more are on the way but in the meantime I've got a spare set on loan. Not sure which I prefer. The incoming ones are taped on in one of the pictures...

INSTALL
I am so thankful to my friend Daniel aka [MENTION=4142]SwAp GaS[/MENTION] who is a service manager at the Honda dealership and found some way to have these installed for me for free. That's old wheel off, dismount tire, mount tire on new wheel, balance, re-calibrate TPMS...great dude and a blessing I did not expect. Thanks again Daniel!

PICS
OK here are some pics thanks for reading all my rambling....I'll post more when it's sunny, it's a dreary day but here are some pictures...

Whats the offset? IF those are +40 like my recce's you will wear away the tabs on the front fender pretty horribly as soon as you attack a ramp or corner at speed. I added whiteline camber bolts at -2.5deg which also improved high speed cornering grip.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I like those. Not flashy, just a nice performance wheel. Slightly stretched, but not overly stretched. A+ on wheel & tire choice, and sizes!

I love those wheels, I had such a hard time choosing between those and the Titans. I got the Titans in the end but your car makes me think twice again. Great job, love the way the car sits/looks!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm glad you're happy with them it looks good. I'm kind of the same way when I want something, I look at all the options and really try to think about what's the best for my needs/wants.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Looks good man [thumb] It came down to the Titans and Grids for me. I did go with the Titans but I think both look great. The Titans are 2# lighter per wheel but I really like the look of the Grids. Tough choice. Let us know if you get any rubbing with the slightly taller tire along with the lowering springs. I plan on getting coilovers and dropping things a little probably next year. [ridinghorse]

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Looking good bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man and thanks again for all the pictures you really helped me decide on this wheel.

Whats the offset? IF those are +40 like my recce's you will wear away the tabs on the front fender pretty horribly as soon as you attack a ramp or corner at speed. I added whiteline camber bolts at -2.5deg which also improved high speed cornering grip.
Thanks, yes they are +40, are you talking about the plastic moulding or what when you talk about the tabs? Pic would be awesome and help others in the future...

I like those. Not flashy, just a nice performance wheel. Slightly stretched, but not overly stretched. A+ on wheel & tire choice, and sizes!
Yeah it really looks good, aggressive but not ricer IMO, thanks for the kind words.

Looks good man [thumb] It came down to the Titans and Grids for me. I did go with the Titans but I think both look great. The Titans are 2# lighter per wheel but I really like the look of the Grids. Tough choice. Let us know if you get any rubbing with the slightly taller tire along with the lowering springs. I plan on getting coilovers and dropping things a little probably next year. [ridinghorse]
Same with me.....yeah the Titans are 17lbs each which is a good bit. For me it was all about balance, I liked the Titans but the Grid was the wheel I kept coming back to. My car isn't an all-out performance machine so I don't mind a few extra pounds in trade for the look I want. If I'd chosen the Titans I'd have regretted it every time I saw the Grids. The Titans are nice and the look alot like the SVT wheels. The Grids are more classy IMHO. Both are great. Yeah tough choice. No rubbing but I haven't pushed it yet.

Thanks again all for the kind words I'm really happy with my choice. Once I get my wheel caps and some new mud flaps it will be complete!

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Posted some video thoughts this morning...

[video=youtube;DhwfYtAYHhU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhwfYtAYHhU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I've driven the car a few hundred miles now, these new wheels continue to impress! Loving the look and the weight loss really is noticeable, I should have done this mod a few years ago. I'm now officially a die-hard for getting lighter weight wheels. Can't imagine what it would feel like if I'd gone with a true lightweight (15-16 lbs) but still it's a nice difference and I'm quite satisfied.

Today I pulled the wheels off and installed the proper wheel caps as well as some new mud flaps. I went with another $23 DIY set, but placed these ones an extra inch outward to compliment the new wheel offset. I think it looks great!

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Would a 225/40/17 tire protect the rim? And not rub on stock springs? I would die if I got these wheels and scratched one, I like meaty tires too. But am a novice at wheel fitment
Never had them on the car but from what I've read and researched, yes. I would have gotten that size but when I got tires 2 years ago the only thing I found in that size was Yoko S Drives which honestly look amazing but every review I've read says the performance is horrible. So I went with 215. When it's time for new tires I'm hoping there is a 225/40 option out there that performs well. Let me know if you know of one.

And I'll add (edit) if you're careful the rims will be fine. I am very careful. Would like a more meaty look though with my next tire.

S-drives are shit I had 2 sets before and the reason I had them the second time was because they cupped are like 5000 miles and was such a rough ride. I want something meaty for daily driving and the stock rims I’m gonna our all season on. I will do a 215/40/17 but I know I’ll be anxiety driven literally

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Would a 225/40/17 tire protect the rim? And not rub on stock springs? I would die if I got these wheels and scratched one, I like meaty tires too. But am a novice at wheel fitment
225/40-17s just don't exist in a streetable tire, at all (Hoosier made that size in a 00 tread wear DOT autocross/road race slick [A7/R7] at one time, I'm not even sure if they still do). [:(]

IF that size did exist in a 100 tread wear or above tire, they would be on my 17x8 Pro Race 1.2s right now.

Last edited:
225/40-17s just don't exist in a streetable tire, at all (Hoosier made that size in a 00 tread wear DOT road race slick [A7/R7] at one time, I'm not even sure if they still do). [:(]

IF that size did exist in a 100 tread wear or above tire, they would be on my 17x8 Pro Race 1.2s right now.
Dammit man I want some protection for these wheels if I get them. I love them so much but don’t want to risk the curbs and stuff in the city where I live. Overall I guess I’m gonna her the Rotas and put 215/40/17 on them and just be careful. But again the rock chips; should I put rally armor on if I choose this wheels setup? I don’t want rock chips on the car at all. 10,000 miles on car lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've never had sticky tires on the car without either the Rally Armor, or the much larger than those, real rally type flaps on the car now, so I cannot speak to the chip thing. [:(]

Maybe some who have gone 'flapless' with wider. sticky tires will chime in on that. [wink]