Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rotors after bed in

So after I put on new EBC yellowstuff w/ RK coated rotors on, I spent ~500km/300miles puttering around the city being mostly careful about braking. Today I went out and did 6 or 7 60-20mph stops and the front rotors came out looking like this...

Image from iOS (1).jpg Image from iOS.jpg

I'd say the stopping power seems about the same afterwards but i feel like the initial bite is less somewhat... Have I glazed the rotors or does this look normal? @EBC Brakes UK , any thoughts on this?

I should say I drove around some more afterwards and wiped the surface with a bit of paper and the gray dusting seemed to go away, however there's still distinct banding and some of the bands look yellow-ish. Not the nice gray/blue surface I've seen in a few examples on the internets, so that made me wonder.

Last edited:
I’d recommend (if possible) taking the discs off and roughing the surface with emery paper.
If the pads look at all glazed, do the same with these.
Then perform the bedding procedure again, 10 stops 70-20 WITHOUT STOPPING. Allow them to cool.

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #3
I’d recommend (if possible) taking the discs off and roughing the surface with emery paper.
If the pads look at all glazed, do the same with these.
Then perform the bedding procedure again, 10 stops 70-20 WITHOUT STOPPING. Allow them to cool.
Thanks for the quick reply. Does that mean that the rotors do look glazed do you, however? It's maybe hard to say from the photo but I'm trying to get some idea as to how bad the surface looks. Would it work if I try the bedding procedure again without applying the emery paper or will that just make it worse?

Thanks for the quick reply. Does that mean that the rotors do look glazed do you, however? It's maybe hard to say from the photo but I'm trying to get some idea as to how bad the surface looks. Would it work if I try the bedding procedure again without applying the emery paper or will that just make it worse?
NO, We cannot really tell form the photos, but bedding in again (the hard stops) won't do any harm. If you continue to feel they are glazed then rubbing them down should sort it. Hopefully the re bedding in will solve it.

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #5
NO, We cannot really tell form the photos, but bedding in again (the hard stops) won't do any harm. If you continue to feel they are glazed then rubbing them down should sort it. Hopefully the re bedding in will solve it.
Thanks for your help, had more success this time around! The layer is pretty thin, and I already scratched some of it off on the way back since brakes got cold, haha, but at least I think I'm doing it right now. The band seems to be in the dead centre, so I guess I installed everything OK. I used a little bit less pressure this time but did more stops. Hard to find a good stretch of road to do this on, traffic is everywhere.

In somewhat unrelated, would you consider including the clips the pads slide back and forth on with the front pads in the future? AFAIK stock pads come with them, but I'm having hard time finding the part number for just the clips. I reused the old ones this time, but they're definitely showing wear and tear.

Image from iOS (1).jpg Image from iOS (2).jpg Image from iOS (3).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, had more success this time around! The layer is pretty thin, and I already scratched some of it off on the way back since brakes got cold, haha, but at least I think I'm doing it right now. The band seems to be in the dead centre, so I guess I installed everything OK. I used a little bit less pressure this time but did more stops. Hard to find a good stretch of road to do this on, traffic is everywhere.

In somewhat unrelated, would you consider including the clips the pads slide back and forth on with the front pads in the future? AFAIK stock pads come with them, but I'm having hard time finding the part number for just the clips. I reused the old ones this time, but they're definitely showing wear and tear.

View attachment 40653 View attachment 40654 View attachment 40655
I am afraid we do not supply the clips as each pad set can be used on a number of applications so would need to supply a large number of varying clips, causing a lot of waste. You may need to contact Ford for a brake fitting kit.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

View attachment 40653 View attachment 40654 View attachment 40655
Just hit up the local NAPA...Oreailly or Autozone for a brake hardware kit*