Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rough Shifting

Just hit 10k miles on my FiST. There is a slight hesitation when shifting now before it goes into gear (every gear), almost as though it hits something, then slides to the side and drops in. Every once in a while it won't go into first without a little foreplay (shift to second then first). Both issues began about 500 miles ago.

Anyone else have this issue? Is this a service issue? Should I try changing out fluids first? When I first test drove the car I was impressed by how smooth the transmission was. Now I am pissed off because it's not perfect anymore. My previous 5 cars have been stick so I can tell when something is not right. I don't think your average driver would think anything of it, but this is my baby!

-Peter

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Sorry to hear that, definitely have the dealer take a good look at that man.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Yes take it to the dealer and if they give you the song and dance about normal or nothing can be replicated then change out the trans fluid to a motul300 or simular type it feels so much better than the dual clutch stuff they use..

Just hit 10k miles on my FiST. There is a slight hesitation when shifting now before it goes into gear (every gear), almost as though it hits something, then slides to the side and drops in. Every once in a while it won't go into first without a little foreplay (shift to second then first). Both issues began about 500 miles ago.

Anyone else have this issue? Is this a service issue? Should I try changing out fluids first? When I first test drove the car I was impressed by how smooth the transmission was. Now I am pissed off because it's not perfect anymore. My previous 5 cars have been stick so I can tell when something is not right. I don't think your average driver would think anything of it, but this is my baby!

-Peter
Hi wrongwheeldrive,

I recommend heading to your dealer for a diagnosis, and having the tech ride along with you so you can best explain your concern. I can also loop in your customer service manager. In order to do so, I'll need your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Defiantly have your dealer look at it.
But here's a thought maybe it's your clutch not disengaging 100%.

Dave

Is it the same part of the shift throw that is locked out when you don't have the clutch in? If so Dave might be right. I have the same thing and thought it was just how the trans was, just a part you need to push past. Does everyone else's just slide right into gear with out resistance?

If it seems to hang up just before it goes into a single gear or two then the synchronizer ring in the trans is likely worn and ineffective on the specific gear(s) cone.

You describe it hqppening in ALL gears, so it is either the clutch not released fully (there have been some failed clutch plates as indicated by others above), OR

The gear lube level is very low or not the correct visc or type.

Is it the same part of the shift throw that is locked out when you don't have the clutch in? If so Dave might be right. I have the same thing and thought it was just how the trans was, just a part you need to push past. Does everyone else's just slide right into gear with out resistance?
If you decide to head to the dealer on this, please let me know so I can look into additional options. :)

Meagan

OP
wrongwheeldrive
Thread Starter #9
Finally dropped my car off at the dealer. Rode along with the first tech, he said it felt normal. I talked to the service manager and had him drive it (I wasn't there) along with a brand new FiST off the lot, he called and told me he doesn't feel anything...

There IS a difference, it's night and day. If the dealer wants to deny that there is nothing I can do.

I guess I'll just throw the Boomba catalog at it on my own -- New short shifter, bushings, Mutol 300, heavy knob...

Finally dropped my car off at the dealer. Rode along with the first tech, he said it felt normal. I talked to the service manager and had him drive it (I wasn't there) along with a brand new FiST off the lot, he called and told me he doesn't feel anything...

There IS a difference, it's night and day. If the dealer wants to deny that there is nothing I can do.

I guess I'll just throw the Boomba catalog at it on my own -- New short shifter, bushings, Mutol 300, heavy knob...
I had the same thing when I went in. They couldn't replicate it but mine seems to get better and worse so I'm not surprised.

The heavy Boomba knob makes a big difference. You don't feel like you're forcing it as much.

My plan is to do the linkage adjustment and look for clearance issues. Since my issue comes and goes I have a theory the block heater cord may be falling on it once in a while.

My offer still stands to look into this further. :)

Meagan

iso100

1000 Post Club
There are times while at a stop I can't get it into 1st. The easy solution is to go back into 2nd and then directly into 1st. Works every time.

I believe it works by getting the syncro teeth to move slightly going into 2nd so that they're no longer butting heads directly when you attempt to engage 1st.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
There are times while at a stop I can't get it into 1st. The easy solution is to go back into 2nd and then directly into 1st. Works every time.

I believe it works by getting the syncro teeth to move slightly going into 2nd so that they're no longer butting heads directly when you attempt to engage 1st.
Had to this with most times with my 2011 5.0 Mustang with the manual trans from not the UK

iso100

1000 Post Club
Had to this with most times with my 2011 5.0 Mustang with the manual trans from not the UK
Yeah. It's the same selector fork from 1 & 2. Sometimes the teeth on the selector gear line up directly with the syncro teeth and just pushing straight together doesn't allow either to rotate that little bit and allow engagement. Selecting 2nd will rotate the selector gear and most times when you go back into neutral it will be in a position that allows engagement.

I had to do this a LOT with the WC T5 in my 88 XR4Ti.

OP
wrongwheeldrive
Thread Starter #15

I was told by the service manager that our first gear doesn't have a Synchro. The fact that I have a rough time shifting into ALL gears, not just 1st, leads me to believe this is either a shifter issue or a clutch issue. The manager also looked into it a bit more and told me that Ford does not have any of our shifters in stock ANYWHERE in the US. He wasn't admitting to anything (believe me, I was pushing) but I got the feeling that their might be a shifter recall or design change in the future.

The thing that confuses me is that my transmission didn't do this until 10K miles... It never studdered going into ANY gear, even first gear at 10MPH. Why would something change 10K miles down the road?

I'm hoping my boomba parts help tighten it all up, but I really think it might be a clutch issue.

I dread shifting issues more thsn any other. Shift feel and funtion is integral to the driving experience, it's part of what sells us on a car, but several problems can cause it to degrade and all too often unless it is something that can very blatantly be demonstrated to a tech or captured on video, it is a HUGE HASSLE finding a dealer that will either try hard to reproduce the issue, or will just buck up, take your word and fix it.

I wouldn't expect those parts to do anything to fix the root cause.

My civic had shifting issues into 2nd. Dealer wouldn't budge. Turns out is was a clutch issue. The CMC was replaced for noise, and the car shifted beautifully for about a month and started going back to where it was. Dealer wasn't buying it. Eventually others in significant numbers started having the issue. One party suggested rebuilding the CMC with parts from older model civic. Tried that, shifted well but started slipping before too long. I adjusted the clutch engagement to the point it would stop slipping and the shifting went right back to its old tricks.

My point is it seems like with transmissions you need to really find the root problem and fix it or you simply will be putting a bandaid on a problem that will keep getting worse. No amount of bushings, shift knobs, fluid, motor mounts, or the other crap people kept suggesting to "improve shift feel" helped. Sure feel improved elsewhere but it didn't fix the root issue and ultimately didn't help.

If the dealer won't play the game I guess you can try the resident Ford rep, take it to a local transmission shop and see if they have insight, or try adjusting your clutch engagement and see if shifting feel improves, that would be pretty damning as far as diagnosing the clutch as the issue.

As for the civic I ended up selling it before the issue was truly resolved. Honda was really awful about fixing issues with their six speeds, not to mention the same flaws persisted for years across different model lines with no fixes. I had friends drive hundreds of miles and stay in hotels or with friends just because their local dealers refused to help and an out of town dealership would fix them under warranty in good faith that there really was a problem and that these customers weren't just inconveniencing themselves to see Honda needlessly fix a perfectly functioning transmission. I really hope should I run into issues like this with my ST that Ford won't disappoint in the same way.

I probably should have taken it third party and had the entire clutch assembly replaced, but I got stupid and wanted different car as well, or so I thought. Hindsight would say should have kept it as my FR-S has been very meh. Live and learn, and spend too much money while you're at it.

Anyway tl; dr diagnose the issue before throwing parts at the problem.

I hate reviving a dead topic, but I have had the same problem intermittently I bought the car from a Ford dealership, it being a manager demo car, it came with 30,000kms. Wondering if people had any fix for this or some knowledge to have before going into the dealership?

I hate reviving a dead topic, but I have had the same problem intermittently I bought the car from a Ford dealership, it being a manager demo car, it came with 30,000kms. Wondering if people had any fix for this or some knowledge to have before going into the dealership?
Hey MalkionX,

Have you had a chance to schedule an appointment to let our certified techs take a look? Shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, current odometer reading, dealer, and best daytime phone number; I'll take a look and see how I can help get your ST running smooth again.

Nick

I'm with wrongwheeldrive ref the 10k miles...if anything it seems it should get smoother with use. As previously posted, I think the problem is in the fluid, or clutch engagement, and I don't think a shift kit or bushings will do anything but reduce the throws. There are instructions here somewhere (I think posted by rodmoe), about how to "rezero" the shifter...try it just for shits and giggles...won't hurt.