Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Running e40 on e30 tune

Stkid93

Premium Account
I know you need to increase timing on ethanol. Right now I’m tuned for e30. But my mixture is closer to e38. I like to do this for a little extra safety cushion. So my question is, will doing this hurt performance? I know e30 needs more timing that 93. So does e40 need more timing than e30? I would think e40 probably needs anywhere from .5-1.5 degrees more timing than e30. Meaning using e40 would actually lose power because I’m missing out on a degree of timing. I’m not worried about needing to more fuel with e40 because the fuel trims will take care of that. But if I’m missing out on timing using a slightly higher mixture that is something I would like to know . Is this the case?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I know you need to increase timing on ethanol. Right now I’m tuned for e30. But my mixture is closer to e38. I like to do this for a little extra safety cushion. So my question is, will doing this hurt performance? I know e30 needs more timing that 93. So does e40 need more timing than e30? I would think e40 probably needs anywhere from .5-1.5 degrees more timing than e30. Meaning using e40 would actually lose power because I’m missing out on a degree of timing. I’m not worried about needing to more fuel with e40 because the fuel trims will take care of that. But if I’m missing out on timing using a slightly higher mixture that is something I would like to know . Is this the case?
Most tuners’ E30 tunes can handle that without issue. It probably adds timing on its own. Take a few logs while you’ve got the E38ish in the tank then take a few more when you’ve got E30. Compare.

Do you “need” to increase timing on ethanol, or “can” you increase it for benefits?

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
I guess that’s a good question on if you “need to”. From what I understand the timing needs to be increased with ethanol because of the way it burns. It burns slower than gasoline. The car will not drive right without it. That’s part of the reason why you can’t run ethanol on a 93 tune. Then again I’m not a tuner and I’m on here asking you questions, so what do I really know?

i do love the way the fist drives. But coming from my e30 speed 3 it feels slow in a straight line (speed couldn’t compare around turns). I thought the 600 lb weight difference would even things out. And it does to a point, but if I could get 30-50 more horsepower or torque that would be awesome. Even just changing the throttle mapping or having the turbo spool easier at part throttle would be awesome. There’s nothing like the feeling of not giving it much throttle and still having the turbo spool and being pushed into your seat.

Right now I’m looking at adding an intercooler and changing my e30 tune to account for that And maybe an intake blow off and catback for sound. I’ve read a wastegate will allow me to run an e40 tune but not sure that’s worth it. I do a lot of city driving and don’t spend much time at high rpm’s so torque is really big for me.

anyways I’m new and I appreciate you guys. Peace

Even just changing the throttle mapping or having the turbo spool easier at part throttle would be awesome. There’s nothing like the feeling of not giving it much throttle and still having the turbo spool and being pushed into your seat.
I’ve never driven a Speed3 to compare, but I had Dizzy Tuning’s E40 tune with actuator and those things were never something I felt I needed more of. Even just breathing on the throttle below 3k rpm felt great, without feeling overdone or jerky at any time.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
You really think the wastegate and e40 made that much of a difference over e30? From what I’ve seen it’s only good for 10-15 torque and 5-10 horsepower. How did you install the wastegate actuator? I’ve read they are extremely tricky because they need to be set exactly right or the wastegate and boost won’t be right

Maybe not, probably down to other factors like tuning. I never had an E30 tune. Of note, I also had IC, piping, Mountune airbox, GFB diverter valve. The tricky part is just getting access by removing heat shield. Just research it’s not too hard.