Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Running FiST with E85 Blends - Discussion Thread

TemecFist

Just divide the ratio. So if you're at half a tank it should be about 1.5 gallons of e85 and the rest high octane. I tend to err on more e85 than less when in doubt. I'll make a point to run the tank close to empty every now and then to reset the ratio to avoid ethanol concentrations from creeping too high.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
What would happen if you ran the ethanol concentration too high? Would you lose power?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
What would happen if you ran the ethanol concentration too high? Would you lose power?
I remember running E30 on the mazdaspeed 3 when when temps were in the teens charge temps were very low and my injectors were running at 117% at WOT. The car would stutter because the injectors were maxed out. Nothing bad happened, since I'd just back off.

Don't do that, just stick close to the ratios and you'll be fine.

TemecFist

I remember running E30 on the mazdaspeed 3 when when temps were in the teens charge temps were very low and my injectors were running at 117% at WOT. The car would stutter because the injectors were maxed out. Nothing bad happened, since I'd just back off.

Don't do that, just stick close to the ratios and you'll be fine.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Whats everyone's mileage in Northern states running e30-e50? Just taking a survey here!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
I'm not in the "northern" states but it's been colder here in North Carolina for the past few weeks and I actually got better mileage with E30 than straight 93 E10, lol. 24mpg on E30 and 23.5 with 93. Similar driving conditions with both tanks. 9.5 mile commute to work, hardly any highway driving.

PhoenixM3

Let me help out your on the right track but using the wrong terms. Running a lower or higher lamda (leaner/richer) on high ethanol mixes will not make it lose or gain power. Every engine has a point were it makes peak. E85 HAS to take 30-35% more fuel to reach the same lamda as a e10. That does not mean it's "richer" ethanol by nature has BSFC so there has to be more added to burn at the same air fuel ratio. That does not mean that running 12:1 afr on e85 will make less power than 11.5:1 on e10. That has to do with the engine combination. The cooling, higher octane, and increase in dynamic compression ratio is why ethanol makes more power.

Also nitro car run 13-14:1 compression ration. I have made cylinder head and pistons for nitro and alcohol teams since i was 15. Nitro wouldn't even light off if it was squeezed at 6:1. The pro mod engines I built we all 10-11:1 running on straight methanol and making over 4000hp.

Russ
I will take this opportunity to say hi, and report that my DHM race IC/crash bar has been transplanted twice and is still working like a champ.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I'm not in the "northern" states but it's been colder here in North Carolina for the past few weeks and I actually got better mileage with E30 than straight 93 E10, lol. 24mpg on E30 and 23.5 with 93. Similar driving conditions with both tanks. 9.5 mile commute to work, hardly any highway driving.
Lol this defies physics

My mileage is terrible but I only take the car out with the intention of having fun since I don't commute or anything. I swear I can watch my fuel gauge go down this thing drinks it up. It says I am averaging 22mpg on the info screen but I know on some of my drives around town I get a lot less haha

Loving the E30 though the car feels insanely strong I cannot go back. I don't care how shit my mpg is I enjoy driving the car too much. I did a 4th gear pull this morning on a nice flat empty road.

1628371966902.png

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My mileage is terrible but I only take the car out with the intention of having fun since I don't commute or anything. I swear I can watch my fuel gauge go down this think drinks it up. It says I am averaging 22mpg on the info screen but I know on some of my drives around town I get a lot less haha

Loving the E30 though the car feels insanely strong I cannot go back. I don't care how shit my mpg is I enjoy driving the car too much. I did a 4th gear pull this morning on a nice flat empty road.

View attachment 42674
Ah yes....the ethanol Drop. I'm e50....the more I get into e60-e70 I watch it go down also* down!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
My mileage is terrible but I only take the car out with the intention of having fun since I don't commute or anything. I swear I can watch my fuel gauge go down this think drinks it up. It says I am averaging 22mpg on the info screen but I know on some of my drives around town I get a lot less haha

View attachment 42674
I commute 80 miles a day on e30. The drop is noticeable but not terrible.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I hand calculated my mileage today. Like I said earlier I drive 80 miles a day, cruising 80mph with the A/C on and daily WOT pulls on E30, stock heat plugs, no other modifications, 27.2 mpg. I know if I stayed 70 or below and A/C off I could get about 29-30mpg.

In NC, has been mostly cold with the occassional warm day here and there. Probably going out and driving it way to hard at least twice a day still. ;) Have been on Dizzy's E30 tune for a little over 1K miles and seeing 23-24ish MPG all aggressive city driving. Not a ton of highway until last weekend but I could just throw it in 6th and cruise for better MPG as you'd expect.

Bone stock, no tune, on 93: ~31 mpg at 80 mph (Michigan summer air, so, not hot, at least in the morning), e30: 28.9 mpg at 80 mph. This is about 80% freeway, 20% city driving.

I just got an accessport, so I'm sure this will change, but even after using a Cobb OTS stage 1 for a few days I'm getting roughly the same mpg.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Bone stock, no tune, on 93: ~31 mpg at 80 mph (Michigan summer air, so, not hot, at least in the morning), e30: 28.9 mpg at 80 mph. This is about 80% freeway, 20% city driving.

I just got an accessport, so I'm sure this will change, but even after using a Cobb OTS stage 1 for a few days I'm getting roughly the same mpg.
You're running e30 with no tune?