Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rust problems? Where to go from here?

So last night after watching a youtube video about possible rust in the rear wheel well "ledge" I did a once over on the car and noticed that both rear door seams are rusted, one is bad enough that the paint is bubbled up, the hood also has paint flaking off with rust underneath. For a 5 year old car this is pretty disgusting on fords part. I am taking it in to be krownd Immediately to prevent further rust.

This is a summer car which makes these rust issues extremely frustrating.

It seems my options now are two new doors (since the rust is coming out of the bent metal seem it can't be sanded since you can't get a sander to remove the rust in the seam so it will just creep back later and a new hood, probably a carbon fiber one to avoid the cost of repainting.

I've noticed this seems to be a recurring problem on a lot of FiSTs, do you guys have any suggestions? Sell the car before it gets worse? Fix it? Drive it into a river?

my 2014 with 28k on it is rusty also. I am gonna rig up a aquarium pump and a water tank and flood each area with evaporust. till it is gone.

OP
Esoterikk
Thread Starter #3
my 2014 with 28k on it is rusty also. I am gonna rig up a aquarium pump and a water tank and flood each area with evaporust. till it is gone.
I'm just at a loss, i still owe 8k on the car, 10k is the average trade in I can get and being only able to afford 250-300$ a month payments on top of what's left on the FiST puts me in a really shitty position.

SPhilli911

My 2015 car with 52k miles is showing the beginnings of rust/ paint bubbles over the passenger rear wheel. It's pretty upsetting, for sure, but my car is paid for and I plan to drive the car into the ground and never sell. So, one way or another I will deal with the rust. When I first bought the car I tried to seal up possible body rust spots, including the door seams, which held up. Just wasn't aware of the areas over the rear wheels.

Sorry to hear man. Are you willing to have the rust spots repaired? Or is that not feasible financially?

OP
Esoterikk
Thread Starter #5
My 2015 car with 52k miles is showing the beginnings of rust/ paint bubbles over the passenger rear wheel. It's pretty upsetting, for sure, but my car is paid for and I plan to drive the car into the ground and never sell. So, one way or another I will deal with the rust. When I first bought the car I tried to seal up possible body rust spots, including the door seams, which held up. Just wasn't aware of the areas over the rear wheels.

Sorry to hear man. Are you willing to have the rust spots repaired? Or is that not feasible financially?
I'm willing to have them repaired but I'm not sure if it's not smarter to trade it in on a 370z while it still has a little value.

I love the car and how it drives but rust is cancer and while I'm willing to repair it it's never going to fully go away. With this much rust in 5 years I'm worried about the next 5 years and since I use it as my one summer project car (i always have one daily and one summer sporty project car) I'm not sure if i should keep modifying it which defeats it's purpose as a track/weekend/summer project car

could you post some pics of your rust areas. I would like to double check mine, thanks boyracer

OP
Esoterikk
Thread Starter #7
could you post some pics of your rust areas. I would like to double check mine, thanks boyracer
I'll get some later today when I get home. If you want to look in the meantime it will be anywhere there is a stamped seam as well as the area at the top of the hatch when it's opened. You would want to look at your lower door seams and the outer seam under your hood.

Oh yes my 2017 ST with 34K has rust coming through the rear door seam and I will take it to Ford next month so they can take photos and send them on to whoever makes the decision to repair it. I'm still within the 5 year period so fingers crossed it will be repaired. However most of the door seams show corrosion and probably won't penetrate through in time. I guess we all were taken for a ride by Ford. Good luck guys.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Its 3 yr 36k..i went in to ferd @ 37k/3yr mark with paint coming off at the tailgate latch. Told me to beat feet as it wasnt rusted through.

Angle grinder, die grinder/rotary tool to remove the rust. Take it down to bare metal. Cover with POR-15. Paint on top if in a visible area. Monitor and readdress periodically. You can keep a car on the road for a long time if you do this.

Oil spray yearly, use rust oil spray cans to periodically freshen trouble spots.