Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

S280? or GTX2860/67

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
There isn't any circumstances where those would be better, the gears are already short enough. Why anyone puts them in their car for anything other than purpose built racing stuff, I will never understand lol.
Come on man. Can't you just let me try to justify my absurd expense in putting these gears in? :( LOL

Come on man. Can't you just let me try to justify my absurd expense in putting these gears in? :( LOL
That's the cool thing about cars, you can do whatever makes you happy! It may fit a purpose that you have that others don't... at the end of the day it's yours and no one elses :)

TDavis

1000 Post Club
The S280 is nice because of the spool, thats about it. I like the 2860 because its "easier" on the drivetrain, with the lag of the 2860, the drivetrain doesn't get as much shock as early spools would give it. Not to mention when I went big turbo the S280 didnt exist :LOL:

I'm currently sitting at 300whp 300 wtq limited by fuel now obviously. Every perf mod you can do besides fuel/shortblock. I'm very content at my power level. I agree with alot of people who say 300whp is a sweet spot.

Last edited:
The S280 is nice because of the spool, thats about it. I like the 2860 because its "easier" on the drivetrain, with the lag of the 2860, the drivetrain doesn't get as much shock as early spools would give it. Not to mention when I went big turbo the S280 didnt exist :LOL:

I'm currently sitting at 300whp 300 wtq limited by fuel now obviously. Every perf mod you can do besides fuel/shortblock. I'm very content at my power level. I agree with alot of people who say 300whp is a sweet spot.
I mean the S280 "early" spool is nothing compared to the factory spool. There's a significant delay compared to stock. And when it does come on it doesn't peak as fast either. Agreed on the 2860 spooling up days later compared to stock but the Fiesta ST engines have handled OEM hybrid turbos well into the 100,000 mile range.

this is on point since the thread is S280vs2860r but people who aren't aware shouldn't get the idea that an s280 spool is anywhere close to a hybrid/OEM spool

Last edited:

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I mean the S280 "early" spool is nothing compared to the factory spool. There's a significant delay compared to stock. And when it does come on it doesn't peak as fast either. Agreed on the 2860 spooling up days later compared to stock but the Fiesta ST engines have handled OEM hybrid turbos well into the 100,000 mile range.

this is on point since the thread is S280vs2860r but people who aren't aware shouldn't get the idea that an s280 spool is anywhere close to a hybrid/OEM spool
The difference is the amount of hp kick when the boost kicks in. Can't compare the OEM turbo/hybrid strain vs upgraded. I was basically saying compared to the 2860 it spools alot quicker, I definitely know its not near OEM spool. Sometimes I miss OEM spool :cry:

There isn't any circumstances where those would be better, the gears are already short enough. Why anyone puts them in their car for anything other than purpose built racing stuff, I will never understand lol.
I actually wouldn't mind a slightly taller final. 1st is pretty useless. Almost think you could get a better 0-60 if you could start in 2nd; with a clutch capable of handling the slip at peak torque. On the highway I sometimes find myself looking for 7th gear. Lol. With the stock turbo on a highway pull I don't even bother to downshift from 6th with peak torque being at or below 3krpm.

I actually wouldn't mind a slightly taller final. 1st is pretty useless. Almost think you could get a better 0-60 if you could start in 2nd; with a clutch capable of handling the slip at peak torque. On the highway I sometimes find myself looking for 7th gear. Lol. With the stock turbo on a highway pull I don't even bother to downshift from 6th with peak torque being at or below 3krpm.
I agree with you, I think a 3.4-3.5 final drive would be more appealing. Maybe in the future we will have that option. A 4.3 (like what's mentioned above) only further shortens the gears, or reaching a lower top speed in each gear at the same RPM. It would make first even shorter, and your cruise RPM even higher.

I agree with you, I think a 3.4-3.5 final drive would be more appealing. Maybe in the future we will have that option. A 4.3 (like what's mentioned above) only further shortens the gears, or reaching a lower top speed in each gear at the same RPM. It would make first even shorter, and your cruise RPM even higher.
Absolutely. I drove an old school Mitsubishi VR-4 the other day. 1st was good to 45mph and 2nd almost 70. I was thinking " I wish my gears were this tall!" With a flat torque curve you can make the most of the taller gears. With a peaky motor short gears are a complete necessity like my friends 2007 TSX. If his gears were any taller he would come out of VTEC between shifts and kill acceleration. With a torquey motor the extra rpm drop between shifts wouldn't hurt because you have the torque to make up for it as HP is rising on the curve with RPM.

I did some 60-80mph testing and found that from 6th or 3rd gear the times were almost identical. However 4th and 5th pulled quicker than either by a few 10ths with 4th maybe being a hair quicker than 5th. I was playing around with a Hemi 300c and from a roll I couldn't pull on him winding 4th to redline. Same roll, I short shifted to 5th @ 5000rpm and was able to pull almost a car on him. I'm sure that whole scenario will change once I get the S280 where revving to redline and beyond make sense.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I definitely can see it being needed/necessary for certain autocross course/road course scenarios where one would lose time by dropping down a gear (or two!).

But yeah, for my street purposes, it would just make first and second (on the factory snail/tune at least, bigger than an S280 might be a whole 'nother kettle o' fish!) even more useless than they are currently, unless I was driving around on your M&H wrinkle walls on the front, all of the time. [wink]

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I spend most of my time on wide open flat highways. I would take longer gears if given the choice. I think it just depends on how you use your car.

I definitely can see it being needed/necessary for certain autocross course/road course scenarios where one would lose time by dropping down a gear (or two!).

But yeah, for my street purposes, it would just make first and second (on the factory snail/tune at least, bigger than an S280 might be a whole 'nother kettle o' fish!) even more useless than they are currently, unless I was driving around on your M&H wrinkle walls on the front, all of the time. [wink]
I could see them being beneficial for certain circumstances, no doubt. I have done some recent back to back testing, and a bias ply drag slick is no quicker than a Toyo R888R in the 60 foot on the street, tested via dragy. That tells me the road surface is the biggest limiting factor. This obviously won't be the case at the drag strip, as low 1.8 60' times are the norm and the best I can get out of the Toyo's are a 2.09 60'.

Dude this is sick, I’ve got a full bolt on stock tune fiesta and looking to jump to a good 91 tune with the s280, and I wanna get over the 300hp hump, even though I daily it, I can obviously switch back and forth between tunes for when I’m going to work and when “I’m going to work”, is it possible with the pump gas to reach 300
Um, no. At least nobody with any actual dynos have established that. We're in the same boat and I'll let you know after my Bosch injectors upgrade, not holding my breath though.