Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

S280 vs 2860 gen 2

All,

I have a unique situation on choosing a new turbo. My 2867 crapped out and I need a new turbo. I have all the support mods to handle any turbo for the platform. Tubular manifold, 4 port aux fuel, and all bolt ons.

The 2867, was making close to 400 whp on E70. Laggy, made 28+psi around 5k and a little over 300 whp around that time. I would like something that makes good power and spools better. I wanted to set the record for the 1/2 mile. It was a failed experiment. I wouldn’t recommend the turbo unless you need a record.

Which turbo would you choose? The car is a daily driver and reliability is now more of a concern vs a number.

Thanks

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I chose the x57rs. Haven't had any issues with it. Spool kicks in at about 3500 and puma "says" it'll hit 400 bhp minimum after tuning. My goal is just to hit 400, anything after that will be a pleasant surprise.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I still say 2860 for you. The S280, X57RS, and any "stock" fitment turbo would necessitate that you sell your tubular manifold, downpipe, and charge pipes. Then you'd need to re-fit the stock style equivalents and would end up being more expensive than something similar to a 2860.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Edit: My reading comprehension is terrible.

If you already have the tubular manifold, I would go with the GTX2860 Gen2 and bolt it to your existing manifold. Lag will be slightly reduced from your old setup. There will still be lag (full boost by 4000RPM), but that will be better for your engine/transmission's reliability when compared to the faster spooling s280.

I still say 2860 for you. The S280, X57RS, and any "stock" fitment turbo would necessitate that you sell your tubular manifold, downpipe, and charge pipes. Then you'd need to re-fit the stock style equivalents and would end up being more expensive than something similar to a 2860.
Could you elaborate on that a bit? I just got my S280 in the mail and am still trying to decide whether to install my down pipe & get a tubular manifold. I also have Mishimoto charge pipes that I was planning on using. Why would you not want these modifications with an S280? I’m new to turbo tuning and trying my best to do everything right with this S280 install.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Could you elaborate on that a bit? I just got my S280 in the mail and am still trying to decide whether to install my down pipe & get a tubular manifold. I also have Mishimoto charge pipes that I was planning on using. Why would you not want these modifications with an S280? I’m new to turbo tuning and trying my best to do everything right with this S280 install.
I know the OP personally. He has since sold the car and parted out. In his case his manifold and other hard parts were designed to be used with a 2860 or equivalent style turbo. He'd have had to go essentially back to stock and mod all over again. Tubular manifolds are fine for an s280 and so are the hard pipes, just not when you need to spend your money twice to do it. lol